Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hardware Spec

Hi.

Looking at getting a new PC to run HS3 on. I'm going for a laptop as I like the all in one including battery back up. I've found this laptop going cheap with a good warranty. I have about 30 or so devices (motions sesors, appliance modules), all Z wave and controlled using the AEON zwave stick and probably about 40 events which are fairly basic i.e. motion sensors to turn lights on, timed events etc so nothing too much. I can't see it growing that much more.

My aim with this spec is to have a RELIABILTIY in the HS3 configuration and VERY LOW power. The laptop will be dedicated just to HS.

Would you like to comment on the spec below please:-

Battery life - Up to 4 hours
    Ethernet Port - NO
    Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics
    Hard drive - 500GB
    Memory (RAM) - 2GB ----- (I've got a feeling this is not enough and 4Gb should be a min if I upgrade to 64 bit Win)
    Memory Card Slot - NO
    Operating system - Windows 8 (32 bit) ----- (I'd probably upgrade this to 64 bit if the chipset supports it)
    Ports Information Ports - 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI
    Processor - Dual-core Intel Celeron N2805
    Processor speed - 1.46GHz
    Sound - Integrated stereo speakers
    Wireless networking - Wi-Fi- 802.11b/g/n

What version of HS3 do you consider to be a good stable release ?

Thanks

Phill

It will run fine on that spec, I have HS3 and HS2 installed and running together (when I need them to) on an age old atom PC with 1GB RAM and it runs fine. As long as you are not doing video recording or some other intensive task as well the requirements are fairly low.

Comment

If you are going to run any OS newer than XP you need at least 4 GB of ram and if it's Windows 8 then 6 would be best. The latest release is the most stable for me.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        If you are going to run any OS newer than XP you need at least 4 GB of ram and if it's Windows 8 then 6 would be best. The latest release is the most stable for me.
        The computers at my work have been "upgraded" to 3GB RAM and they run Win7 OK, bit slow to log on but once in runs fine, system requirements I believe is only 1GB.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

Here pushing Windows 8.1 with minimal hardware hardware and it works fine. Running Ubuntu 14.04 on it with HS3; it runs just fine too.

IE: Intel Atom Z520 (1.33 GHz, 512KB L2 cache) - O2 Joggler touchscreen tablet.

The above said I have been running a weather station from an old IBM Thinkpad; folded on a shelf; only accessed remotely.

Initially (well for a couple of years) used wireless. I was pushing up the power of the access point to some 75 mW. That said the radio burned up and I lost communications to the server. I then just moved the laptop to wiring closet shelf and plugged it into a switch. The laptop remains folded in the wiring closet on a shelf; never really touched and only accessed remotely. The laptop connects to a weather station via a USB port main piece and said piece is connected to the weather station wirelessly on the other side of the home (well on the roof and the other side of the home).

Its been a few years now this way.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X