Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start

Hi There
    new to the Forum and to HA. l Tinkered with Ninja block last year so have a small inkling of how systems work. That is, turning lights on /OFF etc. l learnt that whatever l do I need to have manual switches to override the automation and it seems like the stuff I've been reading about can do that.

My motivation for HA is to replace my back to base alarm system. A new Alarm can text my phone just as easy as they can call me. And at $400 per year less. I also want to install and integrate a Camera system. And I like gadgets

So my, million questions.
    Am I correct in thinking that Homseer comes as either software or an appliance. If go for software what else do I need apart from a PC? Do I need an RF device and what is the best one? l have a WIFI router but not sure if these devices talk standard 802.11 or something else.

I'm looking at the ELK Ml gold panel. It seems like it would do all the HA by itself but people seem to use it in conjunction with a HA product (homeseer or Veralite or xxx). Is there a particular reason for this? is the dedicate HA software better than the ELk by itself?

HS3 or Hs3PRO?

Hs touch seems to be the big difference but I don't understand what it really is.

lastly for now. Are there good options for hardwired devices. I'm not good at changing batteries in my smoke detectors so I don't want to compound that problem.

Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by ; August 11, 2014, 07:03 PM.

Welcome. Lots of good questions.

The standard advice is to break them up into bite size pieces, and then ask each one in a forum that deals with the topic.

You are correct that you can purchase HS as a software application or with a piece of hardware. The hardware options span a range of alternatives from very basic, with limited expandability to installer grade.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that HS - as practiced by most of us on this board - is a hobby first, home automation / control second. As such, it does involve rolling up ones sleeves and 'changing batteries' on a regular basis. If you do not want to get involved at that level, you may find that HS is a bit too involving.

The best course is to ask questions that are as specific as possible and to spend time searching the board for topics of interest. See what others are doing and if something looks interesting, what would be involved for you to do something similar.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
    X