Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to HA and have some hardware Questions

Hello!

I've been browsing these forums for the past few days picking up on home automation and HomeSeer. I want to get all the required hardware to play with the trial of HomeSeer soon so I can make the most of the time I have before I take the plunge and purchase it all!

A few things I think I want to start with are the garage with a camera and a few lights. My first question has to do with the garage setup. I tend to lean towards having devices that have power sources as opposed to having wireless devices that depend on batteries. If I'm wrong in this view, please let me know.

Based off of this how-to (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372) the door sensor is a z-wave battery operated sensor. If I wanted to use a wired sensor though, like the (http://www.smarthome.com/seco-larm-s...ct-switch.html), how would I wire that to the controller? (I plan to run the HS3 software off of one my servers)

And to expand on that wired sensor, if I wanted to install wired door, window, and motion detectors throughout the house what would they all connect to so that HomeSeer can interact with them? I found this (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Glob...PoE-P1112.aspx) in the store, but I assume I'd need something with more contacts if everything ends up being wired.

Last question regarding the garage would be between the two relay fixtures. What are the differences between them? (Evolve LFM-20 and Linear FS20Z-1)

For lighting, is there a general consensus that z-wave bulbs/switches are better than insteon? (Is there more options [aside from hue])

Well, I think that's a start, thank you in advance for any responses and help!

P.S. The tutorials link is broken! (http://www.homeseer.com/support/tutorials.htm)
    Last edited by ckellyusa; August 21, 2014, 01:21 PM.

Welcome to the HS message board and thanks for reporting the broken link. We just did a web site and domain change this week and are still trying to get all the links fixed. I use that same garage door magnet but I have it connected to a very old X10 universal module so it's not wired. If you have wire available to the hardware you want to monitor then any of the contact closure devices will work to interface the hardware to HS3. Such as the ones mentioned in this thread:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162448

For that Global Cache hardware you simply need a plugin to interface to the device and there are a couple of plugins to choose from.

Really it's up to you on which protocol you choose. Insteon was problematic when it first came out so many of us went with Z-Wave devices. Now Insteon is much better so I now have a mixture and simply choose the best that meets my requirements. HS3 can work with all protocols at the same time.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I should clarify that my main goal was to not use batteries where ever possible. A wireless z-wave/insteon/etc. signal to the controller is not the problem, it's just the batteries that I want to stay away from. (I'll update the original post as well)

With that said, are you saying that I could connect that magnetic contact to the Evolve LFM-20 relay (a second one?) and get the same results as the wireless door sensor? (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Ever...sor-P1083.aspx)

Comment

^^^ what he said...

i use x10 and zwave...
        you mention door/window sensor but do not want to worry about batteries... in the alarm company devices the batteries in those last for about 12-14 years. I know this as my house is 14years old and im replacing batteries... so I wouldnt worry about the battery part if you are worried about them dying...

and welcome!
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Alright, I've been doing a lot more research which just led to more questions, but here we go! Sorry as I try to think through the process as I write.

• For the Garage Setup:
            1. In order to control the garage door opener, I will need one of the z-wave relay's, correct? What are the differences between them? (Evolve LFM-20 and Linear FS20Z-1)
            2. In order to get status of the garage door (open or close), I can use one of the Z-Wave or Insteon door sensors for a battery option (one with a long life rating (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...-P1485C48.aspx)) [TeleFragger, can you tell me what kind you have that last 12 - 14 years?]or I can use the wired magnetic contacts I linked to earlier. In order to use wired devices I have to have them connected to some kind of relayed board such as an ELK M1 panel, the global cache hardware, the ADIO-100, or Insteon I/O Linc correct?
            3. Could someone provide a reason or example for when I'd want to use the 3 wire magnetic contact (normally open or normally closed) as opposed to the 2 wire magnetic contact (normally closed)?
          • General Security Setup:
            1. If the end of section 2 above is correct, then I'll have all wired devices (door and window sensors, motion detectors, etc.) all connected to one of those four devices (or are there other options?) I will then need to be able to connect those devices to HomeSeer which will mean:
              1. What device for security panels?
              2. The global cache device can be the wireless, ethernet, serial, or USB variety to connect, right?
              3. A serial to USB converter like these will be requierd for the ADIO-100 (http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport#models) correct?
              4. The Insteon device will require the Insteon network.
            2. Is the DSC panel (http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...P1155C236.aspx) a competitor to the ELK M1? Pros/Cons of each?
            3. Any recommendations on a door lock like the schlage z-wave ones, but one that I can connect to a non battery power source?

• Lighting Control:
            1. So I think I've found out there are three main ways to control lighting throughout the home, Z-Wave, Insteon, and UPB, correct?
              1. To connect to Z-Wave devices, I need the aeon labs usb stick?
              2. To connect to Insteon devices, I need the PLM?
              3. To connect to UPB decices, I need??
            2. Is there a reason to choose over the others? Should I mix and match or stay with one system? A UPB "network" is created with the electrical wiring of the house, so I would only need one interface with the computer and then every part of the house is connected, correct? With Insteon and Z-Wave, I will need "repeaters" throughout to propagate the signal everywhere, right?
            3. I also just read a thread about LumenCache. Did that ever take off and is that a possibility?
          • General Questions:
            1. On the Forums, when there is a (3P) in the forum name, does that mean version 3 plug-in?

Whew!

Comment

Here I have been utilizing Homeseer and an HAI Omnipro II now for many years.

My in wall switch lighting automation today is UPB. (I do also have X10, Insteon, Z-wave and Zigbee)

All of my sensors today are wired. Standard alarm panel wireless sensors have a battery life of 3-4 years.

Have a look at the variety of lighting technologies today.

There is no one perfect methodology.

The two oldest combination automation and security DIY panels are the Elk and the Leviton HAI panels.

The DSC panel is an inexpensive security only panel.

The HAI / ELK panels are more geared for the DIY'er doing security where as the DSC panel was traditionally not sold to DIY'ers rather it was installed by alarm companies.

Start initially to look at the infrastructure base whether its installed or not relating to:

1 - security - my personal preference is wired versus wireless using 22/2 and 22/4 wire.
            2 - CCTV - trending is HD IP via POE cameras. I did run RG6 / siamese power and cat5e cable and there are no wireless cams.
            3 - lighting automation - primarily power line using UPB
            4 - HVAC automation - Leviton HAI Omnistat2 serially connected (today there are also wireless 802.11X, Z-Wave and ZigBee thermostats)

Have a look at the basics of infrastructure cabling / wiring here:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/index.html

Once you have a base you can automate in numerous ways. Here I automate with the Leviton HAI OPII panel and Homeseer. Homeseer has some 20 plus hardware devices plugged into it.

Just a couple of days ago saw one broadband providers security / automation system. Not mentioning any names here but it was all wireless at $30 per month. Wireless keypads, cameras, PIRs and door sensors. I was curious about it and only saw the connection to the cable as the only device that was wired. Not saying here whether it was good or bad. Personally not impressed with what I saw relating to hardware utilized.
            Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2014, 08:35 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post

Whew!
              I use the DSC PC1832 with the IT-100 interface (make sure you buy that card). The IT-100 has a serial port to connect to the pc that Homeseer is installed on. There is a Homeseer free plugin. The plugin still has a few bugs but they are being worked on. I'd recommend buying an extra battery for the panel and wiring it in parallel with the first battery. There is plenty of room inside the case and batteries are cheap. We had a power outage a few weeks back. They were replacing a power pole. We had no power for 13 hours but the DSC panel with 2 batteries stayed on the whole time.

Also - I use z-wave wherever I can (lighting, thermostat, irrigation). It's simple and reliable.

I wish they made a GFCI z-wave outlet. I'd like to instal one in my kitchen and another in the garage but local code requires those locations to be GFCI.

Comment

Yup; what's neato about Homeseer is that you can pick just about any lighting technology to use with it.

1 - Pure PLC - X-10 and UPB - I still have both in place. Issues relate to powerline noise. I have no issues here with powerline noise.
                2 - Hybrid PLC and wireless - Insteon - my current configuration lets me talk to the Insteon devices via X10 or Insteon. My OPII panel doesn't talk Insteon
                3 - Wireless - Z-Wave and Zigbee - I use both today; tinking with Zigbee stuff lately

There is now also wireless using 802.11X technologies

Each of the above have there pro's and con's. There are no winners in what is the best technology today. Each one above mentioned technologies have their gotcha's.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi,

See my responses to your questions in red below. Hope that helps and keep asking questions
                  • For the Garage Setup:
                    1. In order to control the garage door opener, I will need one of the z-wave relay's, correct? What are the differences between them? (Evolve LFM-20 and Linear FS20Z-1)If you are going the z-wave route, those are options along with others. Those two devices appear to be basically the same with some slight differences in the contact ratings. Right now I use an IOLinc in X-10 mode, but will likely convert to the MIMOLite soon.
                    2. In order to get status of the garage door (open or close), I can use one of the Z-Wave or Insteon door sensors for a battery option (one with a long life rating (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...-P1485C48.aspx)) or I can use the wired magnetic contacts I linked to earlier. In order to use wired devices I have to have them connected to some kind of relayed board such as an ELK M1 panel, the global cache hardware, the ADIO-100, or Insteon I/O Linc correct? All correct, but there are other options such as connecting to security panels and if you go with z-wave the MIMOLite . I currently use both an X-10 DS10A and the Ecolink TILT-ZWAVE2 sensors.
                    3. Could someone provide a reason or example for when I'd want to use the 3 wire magnetic contact (normally open or normally closed) as opposed to the 2 wire magnetic contact (normally closed)?I can't see a specific reason why you would need both unless you wanted to connect to two different systems at the same time.
                  • General Security Setup:
                    1. If the end of section 2 above is correct, then I'll have all wired devices (door and window sensors, motion detectors, etc.) all connected to one of those four devices (or are there other options?) I will then need to be able to connect those devices to HomeSeer which will mean:
                      1. What device for security panels? It depends on the security panel. I have a DSC panel with an IT-100 device which I then connect with a serial to ethernet converter. There is also the EnvisaLink that can be used with DSC panels that output Ethernet directly
                      2. The global cache device can be the wireless, ethernet, serial, or USB variety to connect, right?Correct, except I don't recall seeing a USB option so that would need to be done with a converter
                      3. A serial to USB converter like these will be requierd for the ADIO-100 (http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport#models) correct? Yes, but there are also other options such as serial to ethernet and serial to wifi
                      4. The Insteon device will require the Insteon network.
                    2. Is the DSC panel (http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...P1155C236.aspx) a competitor to the ELK M1? Pros/Cons of each?I have only used DSC panels so can't comment on the Elk. I believe the Elk has more options for doing home automation directly with it.
                    3. Any recommendations on a door lock like the schlage z-wave ones, but one that I can connect to a non battery power source?I use Kwikset z-wave and with a set of Lithium batteries, I get 9-12 months use. You can run wiring through your door and use special hinges to connect to a power supply. Search the board as there are some threads that talk about people doing that.

• Lighting Control:
                    1. So I think I've found out there are three main ways to control lighting throughout the home, Z-Wave, Insteon, and UPB, correct? There are a number of others including X-10 and a number of proprietary and hard-wired ones. For starting out, I would pick one of the three you listed. I used to use X-10 but have migrated to mostly z-wave and have been happy with it. Others have had different experiences with it. You'll get many different perspectives as to which one is "best". I would pick one for now and then slowly buy additional devices and increase the network to make sure it works well for you before committing big $'s
                      1. To connect to Z-Wave devices, I need the aeon labs usb stick?Yes. There are other devices as well, including a new z-troller that is supposed to be released in the next few months.
                      2. To connect to Insteon devices, I need the PLM? Yes, but I believe there are other options as well. I would ask in the Insteon section of the board which one is best.
                      3. To connect to UPB decices, I need??Not sure, post a specific question in the UPB section of the board.
                    2. Is there a reason to choose over the others? Should I mix and match or stay with one system? A UPB "network" is created with the electrical wiring of the house, so I would only need one interface with the computer and then every part of the house is connected, correct? With Insteon and Z-Wave, I will need "repeaters" throughout to propagate the signal everywhere, right?Each of the Insteon devices and non-battery powered z-wave devices act as repeaters so you may not need dedicated repeaters. I have 68+ devices on my z-wave network and don't use repeaters.
                    3. I also just read a thread about LumenCache. Did that ever take off and is that a possibility?Everything is a possibility. Haven't used and don't know much about it.
                  • General Questions:
                    1. On the Forums, when there is a (3P) in the forum name, does that mean version 3 plug-in? It means 3rd Party, which means it's developed by someone other than HomeSeer Technologies.

Cheers
                  Al
                  Last edited by sparkman; August 23, 2014, 11:06 AM.
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    My in wall switch lighting automation today is UPB. (I do also have X10, Insteon, Z-wave and Zigbee)

The two oldest combination automation and security DIY panels are the Elk and the Leviton HAI panels.

The DSC panel is an inexpensive security only panel.

Start initially to look at the infrastructure base whether its installed or not relating to:

1 - security - my personal preference is wired versus wireless using 22/2 and 22/4 wire.
                    2 - CCTV - trending is HD IP via POE cameras. I did run RG6 / siamese power and cat5e cable and there are no wireless cams.
                    3 - lighting automation - primarily power line using UPB
                    4 - HVAC automation - Leviton HAI Omnistat2 serially connected (today there are also wireless 802.11X, Z-Wave and ZigBee thermostats)
                    • What devices do you use to interact HomeSeer with UPB?
                    • My idea for a security panel/box was to use as a homerun place for all the wired sensors in the house. There is currently nothing in the house and I will be running everything. Is a security panel/box overkill for this? Would I be better off just running all contacts/sensors to something like the ADIO-100, MIMOLite, etc? I want to use HomeSeer as the 1 device to control everything and I don't plan to have any standard security pads anywhere in the house.
                    • I've run almost all Cat6 cabling everywhere anticipating PoE IP Cameras. Looking at the newest TrendNet cameras at the moment (TV-IP342PI and TV-IP343PI). Any opinion on that brand?
                    • I have the nest thermostat and hope to pair that with HomeSeer as well!

Originally posted by RJS View Post
                    I use the DSC PC1832 with the IT-100 interface (make sure you buy that card). The IT-100 has a serial port to connect to the pc that Homeseer is installed on. There is a Homeseer free plugin. The plugin still has a few bugs but they are being worked on. I'd recommend buying an extra battery for the panel and wiring it in parallel with the first battery. There is plenty of room inside the case and batteries are cheap. We had a power outage a few weeks back. They were replacing a power pole. We had no power for 13 hours but the DSC panel with 2 batteries stayed on the whole time.
                    I saw the IT-100 inteface on DSC's website. Is there a reason to get that one over the IT-120?

Oh, and another option I think I just realized! I had originally talked about using one of the z-wave relay's (like the evolve) to control the garage door and then connecting a magnetic contact to something like the Glabal Cache relay. (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Glob...P1112C178.aspx) Can I use that Global Cache device to do both control of the garage door and monitor status?

Also, any device that has a ethernet port like that, does that mean I can just attach it to my network switch and the HomeSeer server will find it and be able to control it, or does it have to be directly connected to the HomeSeer server?

Thank you for everyone's responses so far!
                    Last edited by ckellyusa; August 24, 2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I saw the IT-100 inteface on DSC's website. Is there a reason to get that one over the IT-120?
                      The IT-100 is serial output and the DSC plugins are made to work with it. I don't believe any of the DSC plugins that are available support the IT-120. If you want to connect to it over ethernet, then there is an EnvisaLink module and a 3P plugin that works with it.

Oh, and another option I think I just realized! I had originally talked about using one of the z-wave relay's (like the evolve) to control the garage door and then connecting a magnetic contact to something like the Glabal Cache relay. (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Glob...P1112C178.aspx) Can I use that Global Cache device to do both control of the garage door and monitor status?
                      Yes, there are devices that can do both. The MIMOLite can do both if you're going the z-wave route and the IOLinc can do both if you're going Insteon.

Also, any device that has a ethernet port like that, does that mean I can just attach it to my network switch and the HomeSeer server will find it and be able to control it, or does it have to be directly connected to the HomeSeer server?
                      Yes, it can be through a switch.

Cheers
                      Al
                      Last edited by sparkman; August 24, 2014, 02:57 PM.
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        The IT-100 is serial output and the DSC plugins are made to work with it. I don't believe any of the DSC plugins that are available support the IT-120.
                        Wade, the plugin writer says that at Homeseer they use a PC1832 with an IT-100 so if you choose the DSC brand, go with the IT-100.

Comment

Working...
                        X