Light sensor switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light sensor switch

Does anyone know if there is a motion sensor light switch that is zwave capable? I am trying to decide if it is cost effective to purchase a zwave switch for $40 and then a zwave motion sensor $40 just to have homeseer control turning on a light switch when I enter the room. Their are IR switches you can buy at home depot for $20 that will turn the light on when someone enters a room and then turn off once they leave. If I could find one that has zwave integrated that would be great and should be cheaper than the two separate components.

Haven't seen one of those. One option may be to use one of the integrated IR switches with an Aeotec Smart Switch as they have an option for being triggered by 120v. See the diagrams in Section 2 here: http://aeotec.com/support/1219-micro...chematics.html. I personally use cheap X-10 motion sensors with an W800 receiver. I've used a few of the integrated IR switches and find them ok for small rooms, but not so good for larger rooms.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I gave up on the "automation" part of this scenario and used these motion sensing switches in our pantry and two walk in closets. There are simply times when these solutions are just better than what is offered and in the long run why do I need to know that these lights are on/off.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Greg,

Very nice and it would work fine.

Your link is not working. This is the corrected link:

180 Degree PIR-Incandescent-CFL-LED Occupancy Detector - White

Here using EL lighting in the hallways / bathrooms. It's on 24/7 and not automated.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
        Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I too gave up on trying to tie this in to HS and decided to use Lutron's occupancy sensor/switch in our bathrooms - the kids never turn the lights off. Very similar in concept to the Leviton occupancy sensor. In my mind, this is still an automated solution (the switch automatically turns the light on when someone enters the bathroom and turns it off after they leave), but not a monitored automated solution.

I also backed bRight in their Indiegogo campaign and will see what I can do with a couple of their switches when they ship.

-Chris

Comment

Here I do have in place ceiling wired occupancy sensors plus regular wired PIRs.

I do not use the ceiling occupancy sensors for room lighting automation today.

I did try to automate some lighting with the occupancy sensors and it was very low on the WAF a few years back.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
            Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I also use autonomous PIR light switches for most of my auto-on applications. I have one in an out building, one in the garage, and two in closets. They are very robust, and never leave the light when no one is there.

I use 'occupancy' sensing to turn lights off in several rooms, but not on. It was just too difficult to figure out an algorithm that would work as well as pushing a button when a light was desired.

The only exception is the master bath. There the algorithm was pretty simple, and I overcame the occasional short delay by placing the motion sensor outside the door. (An accidental design feature of the layout that works really well).
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Newby & not sure if this is the right place to ask this, I am just implementing Homeseer in an existing house and so far have got all the lights up and running using Fibaro FGS222 modules. However, I have a number of external lights with integrated PIR motion detectors. So the circuit generally would look like below...

Wall Switch >>> Fibaro FGS222 >>> Light fitting with integrated PIR sensor.

I want to monitor when the light is actually on. Unfortunately the Homeseer on/off status doesn't help as it always shows on.

Any ideas on how to do this. One thought I had was to monitor the power consumption in the circuit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X