Remote Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Recommendations?

So, at the moment I have a Philips TSU9400. I'm kinda looking to move up to something else (Partially because it's getting on a bit and is a little on the blink, partially just for a new project x)

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for decent touchscreen remotes? The ones I've been looking at are the URC Total Control ones, but the problem I'm finding is that they're almost impossible to get hold of (More so here in the UK) and if you do, then you've got to find a friendly installer to get you a copy of the software :S

I don't really want to go to a Tablet with HSTouch and a Global Cache or something, mostly because I like having Hard Buttons on a remote. Could go Harmony, but I'd miss the customisation I have at the moment.

Any thoughts?

How about the Logitech Harmony line? There's also a plugin that allows integration of its hub with HS.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Not sure how important the touchscreen is to you, if it is then my suggestion/rants don't really apply.

I spent a lot of time researching remotes when I needed a new system for my bedroom last year. I stayed away from the touchscreens, I really prefer the hard buttons as they seem to be the most useful for home theater operation combined with maybe a command or two sent to HS for lighting. I usually have my iPhone or iPad (or both) next to me while watching TV anyway, and I have a hardwired UPB keypad next to the bed for a few more critical functions.

I looked at the harmony stuff but a lot of the reviewers seemed to have issues with long term reliability.

The URC practice of limiting software to dealers really bugs me. My day job is enterprise software applications and my degrees are in EE so I am pretty confident that I can figure out how to write macros for a remote control, I don't want to call a dealer every time I want to make a change.

That being said, I have had an MX-500 for 14 years now and it is still going strong. It is the remote for my main home theater. I control a TV, receiver, DD player, and also have an IR eye connected to an ocelot to be able to control a few things via HS. Its been dropped on a hardwood floor more times that I can count. My experience seems to correlate with the reviews of other URC owners in that they are built really well.

So I bit the bullet and bought the MX-450 as a compromise. It is one of their "lower end" remotes, you don't need a PC to program it. I got a MRF-350 RF receiver as all my components are in a closet, it talks to them via RF and only talks to the TV itself via IR. I have been very happy with it, I have been able to program it to do anything I need to do. I would have spent more $$ on one of their higher end remotes but like I said, I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to rely on a dealer to get the software, or worse - have to call a dealer every time I want to change something.

My plan next year is to overhaul my main home theater next year, all of the equipment including the TV and receiver are 10-15 years old now. As part of this I am relocating all of the components except the TV itself, and the game console and DVD player to a room in the basement directly below the theater. I already plan to get another MX-450/MRF-350 combination to drive this, and I will probably hold on to the venerable MX-500, maybe mount it in a trophy case or something

Comment

Comment

I personally prefer hard button remotes as well. I've been using the same One for All remotes (Radio Shack branded ones) for nearly 15 years. Using software and interfaces provided on the HiFi Remote website, they are upgradeable through a header on the circuit board. These remotes are significantly cheaper than other customizable remotes. I think I bought them on sale for around $30. I have them configured with macros, but the plan is to use them with IR receivers on my Global Cache GC-100's to trigger sequences from HS.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
          X