homeseer log events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homeseer log events

I setup an event to turn off the light in my garage after no motion for 10 minutes. It seems to be working okay but i get tones of events in the logs like it is checking to see if there any motion. That does not seem to be an efficent method of handling the event. Below is a snipet of the logs from homeseer.

Code:
    Aug-30 8:50:14 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:14 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:13 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:13 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:12 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:12 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:11 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:11 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:10 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:10 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:09 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:09 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:08 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:08 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"
    Aug-30 8:50:07 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 1st Floor Garage Light Switch to Off (0)
    Aug-30 8:50:07 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Garage Garage Light Off no Motion 10 minutes"

Can you post a screen shot of your event? There's probably a few ways it can be tweaked to eliminate what you're seeing.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

The issue is most likely that you trigger is no motion for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes has been reached the event will fire every second because conditions are evaluated every second. So you need to add a condition that it will only fire if the light is already on.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the event
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the issue is that it will retrigger continuously after 10 minutes. Add a condition: AND IF 1st Floor Garage Garage Light Switch is On.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I made the below changes to my event and that seems to have taken care of the excessive log entries, thanks. Now I have a question. If I go in the garage and the sensor does not detect motion, when I try turning on the light via the light switch or via the homeseer mobile app. The light turns off immediately regardless of how many times I turn it on.

I am assuming it is because motion has not been detected and the event is triggering since the light is on.

How can I get around this?
            Attached Files

Comment

There are many different approaches, depending on what you want to accomplish. You could make your condition based upon the light having been on for at least XX minutes, which would allow you at least xx minutes of light before it turns off - "AND IF The First Floor Garage Light Has Been ON for at least XX minutes". This would make sure the light always turns off when there's no motion.

Another approach would be to turn off the light ten minutes after the motion detector changes to no motion. This would create a delayed device action for that light that turns it off after ten minutes. The delayed turn off would be the second action, the first action would be to remove delayed device actions for that light. This would turn the light off ten minutes after the final motion is detected. Every time the motion detector goes to no motion the ten minute countdown is restarted. One downside to this approach is that the light will not go off unless motion is detected. Another downside is that i the motion detector goes to no motion while you are in the room, then begin moving around within range of the motion detector, the light will turn off after ten minutes unless the motion detector goes to no motion from time to time.

You could also make sure your motion detector would always "see" you when you approach the switch.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

If you're using a dimmer this is a difficult one. There is no option for "has had a value NOT equal to for X time". If you opt for the delayed event of turning the light off after 10 minutes you can get yourself in trouble if someone turns the light on but doesn't go into the room.

Is there a way to create the same effect as "has had a value NOT equal to for X time"?
                Originally posted by rprade
                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                  If you're using a dimmer this is a difficult one. There is no option for "has had a value NOT equal to for X time". If you opt for the delayed event of turning the light off after 10 minutes you can get yourself in trouble if someone turns the light on but doesn't go into the room.

Is there a way to create the same effect as "has had a value NOT equal to for X time"?
                  For a garage light, i wasn't thinking dimmer.

One possibility would be a first event that is triggered by the light having its value set and greater than 1%, starting a timer. Then a second event that triggers if the timer becomes greater than 10 minutes, with a condition that there has been no motion for more than 10 minutes. Once that trigger and condition are met actions stop the timer, sets it to 0 and turns the light off. The dimmer would have to support instant status.

Comment

I am using a standard on/off switch not a dimmer. The motion sensor is the AEON mult-sensor which I am trying to get situated to detect better. The range on that device does not seem to work well. I have driven a car in the garage right in front of the sensor and it did not turn on when the car pulled in. so tried turning on from phone and realized it was turning off, after getting out of car I was practically at the garage door where the sensor is located before motion was detected.

I am trying to get motion nailed down in the garage before moving this concept into my house where I will have sensors and will want the lights to be turned off after no motion has been detected for a set amount of time yet if I turn on the light manually I would want the light to come on and stay on.

are there any plugins that make this easier?

Comment

Originally posted by ehinkle27 View Post
                      I am using a standard on/off switch not a dimmer. The motion sensor is the AEON mult-sensor which I am trying to get situated to detect better. The range on that device does not seem to work well. I have driven a car in the garage right in front of the sensor and it did not turn on when the car pulled in. so tried turning on from phone and realized it was turning off, after getting out of car I was practically at the garage door where the sensor is located before motion was detected.

I am trying to get motion nailed down in the garage before moving this concept into my house where I will have sensors and will want the lights to be turned off after no motion has been detected for a set amount of time yet if I turn on the light manually I would want the light to come on and stay on.

are there any plugins that make this easier?
                      I don't know of a plug-in. It is difficult also because HomeSeer doesn't automatically know the difference between when local control turns on a light or if it is done with an event. There is a way to work around that with events.

The conundrum you propose above is that you want the "light to come on and stay on". Is that indefinitely or until there is no motion for a set period of time? Are you wanting the light to turn off with no motion only when it is turned on by motion? If you want a light to go off after ten minutes of no motion, regardless of how it is turned on and since you are using a binary switch this event would work:

IF the Motion Sensor Motion has been No Motion for at least 10m, 0s
                      AND if the Garage Light has been On for at least 10m, 0s
                      THEN Set Device Garage Light to Off

That would always give you at least ten minutes of light when you turn it on and it would stay on as long as the motion detector is detecting motion.

In one of our basement rooms we sometimes want to be able to have the lights stay on even when there is no motion. I have a group of events, one that turns the light On by motion and sets a delayed Off time of 15 minutes, the 15 minute delayed off is reset every time the motion detector is triggered. Then another pair of events that count the "On" cycles of the switch and act based upon the values of a counter and a timer. This requires creating a timer, a counter and a virtual device. The counter counts the number of times the switch is turned on, the timer sets a time limit for counting the On cycles and the virtual device enables and disables motion control. If the lights are turned On, then Off, then On again, the motion control is disabled, so the light stays on indefinitely. When the light is turned off, it automatically enables the motion control. A final "mop up" event turns the light off if it has been on for more than two hours with no motion detected. This is in case someone forgets to turn it off when they leave the room.

If you want, I can take a screenshot of the events and post them.

Comment

rplay please share the events in your basement that your talking about. I may use that or part of that for my garage. Do you run similar events for lights in the house or do you have different events to control lights inside?

I am going to replace some of my interior light switches (i.e kitchen, hallway, etc) and wanted them to be controlled with motion or notifications from door open sensors.

Comment

Comment

thanks for the information rplay I am going to try and implement some of what you said on my lighting system to see how well that works. I like the dust to dawn option to only have lights turn on at night.

So you have Light controls x motion control for each location that uses a motion sensor?

This type of information is great to help with using homeseer, I have read through the guides and never really give examples of how to use the timers, counters, and virtual devices.

Comment

what does your below devices look like?

Comment

Working...
                              X