Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave suggestion if you are having issues connecting to devices

Guys,
    We were working with a new user today and he was having issues getting any Z-Wave devices to be recognized when importing. I recommended trying to connect a USB extension cable to his Z-Stick and afterwards all his Z-Wave devices were immediately recognized. So if you are having issues when importing your devices and they aren't being recognized no matter what you do try an extension cable and see if that helps.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

That's nutty. I never in a thousand years would have thought of that. In my experience USB extension cables never make things work better, but introduce issues. Good to know this......
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      That's nutty. I never in a thousand years would have thought of that. In my experience USB extension cables never make things work better, but introduce issues. Good to know this......
      It is possible the metal chassis of the PC could be focusing or attenuating the transmissions to and from the dongle. USB WiFi dongles will show slightly better signal strength when on a USB extension cable, but only when plugged in to the back of a desktop PC. Laptops and front panel USB connections are usually not in close proximity to metal like the back of a desktop PC and less likely to show any change. Another thing an extension cable will do is let you relocate the Z-Wave antenna - like all RF devices Z-Wave can be subject to dead zones.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I use 25 FT USB extension cable with Ztroller - it definitely helps so that you can do import using HS not just standalone ztroller. This is a must if you are adding door locks as security negotiation cannot be done with standalone stroller. I never had to use it on regular zwave devices but I can see it would help.

Comment

We had two more uses report issues this week and the short extension cable solved the issue. So the ability to move the interface and to be able to rotate it helps with communications issues.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X