Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started with home automation

Hi,

I am fairly tech savvy having worked as SCADA/network administrator. I also set up a home network with standalone networked TV tuners, WMC and Xbox as WMC extenders; which was more difficult than anything I came across in industry.

In any event, because of a few costly water in basement events over the years I have decided to invest in home automation and remote monitoring. To start, water sensors in basement and AC drain overflow pans etc. I also would like to add a controllable door lock, water main shutoff and some lighting controllers down the road. So, how to begin?

I am thinking about purchasing Insteon wireless water sensors from Costco (4 for $99), Insteon controller ($115 via Amazon) (or should I get the HS HomeTroller Zee?), and possibly HS3 software. HS3 software is attractive IF I can use my Windows 7 WMC and Xbox360 extenders to access monitoring and/or control via WMC remote and TV, otherwise not seeing the point of HS3 if a controller can display and control. The forum reading I have done suggests Win 7 WMC is not working with HS3.

Right now I have no home automation equipment installed. Perhaps my new thermostat can be controlled and tied in, I will look that up tonight. Is the plan to start with Insteon water sensors and controller sound to begin and build out a system that may or may not include HS3 software on my Win 7 PC? Would it be better to get HomeTroller Zee which appears to talk to Insteon sensors?

Any advice/recommendation is appreciated.

For most, I think home automation is a hobby. If you think you'd enjoy tinkering and hooking up different things to be automated and spending time with it then I'd say go for HS3 with the needed modules for your immediate concern to start and then build from there. However, if you just want something simple to prevent your basement from flooding that simply works and doesn't require "tinkering" and you really don't care about automating much more then I'd probably say HS3 is a bit above and beyond what you'd want.

Each of the items you mentioned (flood control, door locks, lights) can be done in a simple manner with stand alone or mostly stand alone solutions and it would be cheaper and easier than a full blown home automation system like HS3.

If you don't want to turn this into a hobby and just want something fairly easy and cheap then here are some suggestions for you (keep in mind I'm no expert, this is just an opinion LOL). For the water problem you could use a Winland EA200 with the water probe. I believe I have an extra I could sell and if you might be interested you can message me. This could be connected to a solenoid valve that shuts off water to the whole house or area you are monitoring depending on how your pipes are laid out and all that. If you don't mind using your phone to control stuff then your door locks (Kwikset) and thermostats (Nest) are covered. For lights, ZWave outlets and lights can be controlled with cheap remotes or table top controllers.

Me, I like to tinker and play around and HS3 combines it all so that was the way to go for myself

Comment

Thanks!

I would like to grow the system to control and monitor more and can afford HS3. However, I am also a big time fan and user of Windows Media Center which I run off a Windows 7 gaming laptop. I have 3 Xbox extenders connected ot each TV in the house.

I understand there is no media center plug in for HS3 so I am considering HS2 instead, for which there is a plug in I am told.

Any thoughts?

Comment

OH one more thing

HS2 or 3 can work with Insteon controller or would I be better off with HomeTroller Zee? I like the price of the Insteon water sensors from Costco so that is what I wil be getting for sensors.

Comment

Working...
        X