Noob - Scene controller and instant status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob - Scene controller and instant status

Ok, I'm a noob here and am having difficulty setting up scenes.

I'm using Z-Wave Aeon stick (v.3.0.0.174) and HS3(v3.0.0.96). Lighting is Cooper Aspire (RF9540) with a 5 scene Cooper Scene Controller.

When I use the light whether local, touch, or i-device everything is fine and works as it should. When I change the condition of the light the status is correctly reported and everything correlates as it should. Note, I do not having polling turned on.

I installed the 5 scene controller and assigned button 1 to a scene that controls one light (let's say media room). When the scene is activated either by the controller or via event it works as it should. The light turns on and off accordingly.

The issue revolves using both together. Meaning when the light activates via scene the correct status is not updated FOR THAT LIGHT in the Device Mgmt. Also, if the switch is turned off locally it appears the Scene is still active on the controller.

How do you get the two to play nicely together? Do I need to program a bunch of events, poll, associations, etc. to get these to work and status correctly?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment...

I thought I would pay it forward and document the solution I came up with to get the Aspire Controller working. Not sure if this is how the system is designed to operate but seems to work well enough for me.

I am making slow incremental improvements to gain an understanding of the system and to ensure it works reliably before adding layers of complexity.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=119759

Also, this user posted some great information on his learning experiences.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=137830

The prior user talks about 2 methods to use the device; Events and Scenes. While the previous poster preferred Events, and experimenting with it a bit I prefer Scenes for the following reasons;

- Uninterrupted Operation. If HS3 goes down the scenes still operate due to their direct associations with devices.

- Ramp Rates.

- Controller Dimming.

-

-

Comment

Gmab, thanks for creating this post, as a new HS user it seems most of the documentation/how tos on the forum are several years old & things have changed especially with HS3.

I have had success using Event actions to get the lights on the controller buttons & the status in Homeseer to follow each other by creating an event that:
      If the Lamp Button changes and becomes Scene On (OR IF) the Lamp Device Changes to On Then set Device Lamp to On (this seems to give the instant status back to Homeseer) Then Set Indicator for Lamp Button to On
      Similar for the off scenario.
      IF Cooper Controller Living Area 2 Cooper Living Rm Lamp Module changes and becomes Scene On

OR IF Lighting Living Room Living Room Lamps changes and becomes On

Then Set Device
      Lighting Living Room Living Room Lamps to On

Then Set the indicator for Cooper Controller Living Area Living Rm Lamp Module Button 2 to ON

Comment

I just posted something here that I would love your comments on. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=128423

Comment

Working...
        X