Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSC with IT-100 stops working after thunderstorm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC with IT-100 stops working after thunderstorm?

i been having lots of this situation when a thunderstorm passes near my home. The IT100 stops communicating with HS. The panel has a earth ground installed, but this keeps occurring. The only way I can reset it is to power down the panel and disconnect the battery. Anybody have suggestions on how to stop this from occurring? My panel us a DSC1832 with a IT100 connected to it.

My AC panel has a whole house surge protector (IT Protector PTX080), my AC has it own surge protector. The AC panel has a the ground rod to earth where the alarm ground is connected.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Are you certain that the ground is good? Aside from that, I'd look at your power supply. It could be old or weak, causing its output to fluctuate. Also, being in Florida myself, I've had to put small UPSs on things to counteract the small surges and brownouts that come with all the lightning we get. A UPS between the wall and your power supply might do the trick.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
      Are you certain that the ground is good? Aside from that, I'd look at your power supply. It could be old or weak, causing its output to fluctuate.
      The power supply is old, but why does it happen when we have Tstorms? If it was flaky it will do it without storms.....
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I was thinking that if it's flaky, it could be fine in normal power conditions, but not under the poor input conditions during a thunderstorm. Its output could be causing the IT-100 to lock up.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

@Hector,

Wondering too now that you have replaced the IT100 boards twice this past year if maybe the DSC somehow has been damaged.

That too could have messed with your power supply as mentioned above by Reid.

Check the voltage on it when it is unplugged from the panel anyways.

Do you have any sensor wires to the alarm panel wired outside?

I installed a legacy outdoor antenna there in FL when the house was rebuilt around 2000 and while on FIOS today still have the comcast RG-6 cabling running from outside to the center of the house comm closet adjacent to the HAI panel. I have lightning surge protectors outside before the RG6 comes into the house and to the panel area. In the old house (before tear down) all of the RG-6 cable wiring had been done on the outside of the house and it was tacked up high (which really did look "tacky"). If you have any of these cables still outside they could also cause you issues.

During the reconstruction and elevation of the home following all this FEMA codes I did notice that the contractor ran some sort of support cabling (which too is connected to grounding) along the cinder block walls around the peripheral of the entire home which I had never seen before. I think mostly it was relating to the support of the infrastructure though rather than grounding of stuff.

Over the last 14 years in FL newer home the only issues relating to lightning have been with the irrigation system and blowing the Rainbird controller fuse.

I am not automating it though.
          Last edited by Pete; September 28, 2014, 05:06 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am going to change the power supply since I have a new one as spare. Now that you mention sprinkler, I have not had any issue at all with my rain8, which will be very vonuble in a Tstorms. I don't have any wired device (outside) connected to my panel.

Strange thing is, that the only thing that gets affected is the it-100, the rest of the panel keeps working???
            Last edited by Rotech; September 28, 2014, 08:00 AM.
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yup relating to the irrigation; its just the manifold solenoid box that is outside and the dealer installed rain sensor. Those wires go to the Rain8Nets. A few years back lightning took out the two Rain8Nets but not the Digi 8 port serial connector that the Rain8nets were plugged in to.

I think the latest versions of the Rain8nets are built a bit better. You can though still do a bit to protect the Rain8's.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I had a series of bad power supplies recently. On the device I was having issues with, only one of two internal engines would power up. I kept thinking the device itself was defective as I questioned why one engine would work, but not the other.

Testing exposed the power supply provided 5 volts as it was rated with no load. As soon as I pluged the power supply into the device, then voltage would drop to 2.7 volts providing enough power for one engine.

Amazon is a good source for aftermarket power sources, just make sure u match voltage and amps. This is of course after you tested to confirm defective power source.
                HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                  i been having lots of this situation when a thunderstorm passes near my home. The IT100 stops communicating with HS. The panel has a earth ground installed, but this keeps occurring. The only way I can reset it is to power down the panel and disconnect the battery. Anybody have suggestions on how to stop this from occurring? My panel us a DSC1832 with a IT100 connected to it.

My AC panel has a whole house surge protector (IT Protector PTX080), my AC has it own surge protector. The AC panel has a the ground rod to earth where the alarm ground is connected.
                  How long is the RS-232 cable from the IT-100 to the PC? Is it shielded? Unshielded serial cables can act like antennas which may cause the IT-100 to lockup. If it's only a few feet long then it's probably not the source of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
                    How long is the RS-232 cable from the IT-100 to the PC? Is it shielded? Unshielded serial cables can act like antennas which may cause the IT-100 to lockup. If it's only a few feet long then it's probably not the source of the problem.
                    Cable is less the 4 ft. I have adapter from It-100 to another adapter going into Edgeport4. Adapter is serial to Telephone type cable ( don't recall name of cable). The alarm box is rigth next to HS server.
                    Hector
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Hector,

Make a drawing with a pen or pencil of what is connected to what and scan and post it here.

Include the names of everything and type of wire.

1 - Homeseer box
                      2 - Edgeport
                      3 - serial cables
                      4 - ethernet cables
                      5 - ethernet switch
                      6 - IT-100/DSC cables out (include all of them).
                      7 - rain8net
                      8 - z-wave controller (how you have it connected).
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Hector,
                        Did you ever get resolution to this? I have the same issue with nearby thunderstorms knocking out my IT-100. It happened twice in the last 10 days, including once while I was at the house and lightning knocked out power for 10 seconds. Thanks to your post, I learned about the total reboot of the DSC fixing the problem. I had been buying new boards!
                        I have my DSC panel plugged into surge protection. I have the serial connection to my computer with surge protection as well. However, my panel does not have the EGND connected to anything. Should I just run a wire to the house electrical ground?

I'm thinking about whether to use homeseer to do the DSC reboot so I can fix this remotely. Basically cut the power with controllable switches, and I suppose I could even cut the battery power line somehow. But I'd really like to exhaust trying to solve the cause of the problem before optimizing a work-around.
                        Jono
                        Last edited by jono; July 1, 2016, 10:00 PM.

Comment

What I ended up doing was connecting a ground wire directly from my panel to the Dsc ground connection on the Dsc board. So far no issues.
                          Hector
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I just had the same problem with a lightning strike taking out an IT-100. Rebooting did not fix the problem and I had to replace it. When you say you grounded the panel to the DSC ground: are you talking about the IT-100 panel itself or what? (it is pretty small)

Comment

Originally posted by tbever View Post
                              I just had the same problem with a lightning strike taking out an IT-100. Rebooting did not fix the problem and I had to replace it. When you say you grounded the panel to the DSC ground: are you talking about the IT-100 panel itself or what? (it is pretty small)
                              In the panel there is a terminal for ground.. Not on the IT-100. I also forgot to mention. I nstalled a whole house surge protector to my AC panel.
                              Hector
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                              X