DSC 1864 plus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC 1864 plus?

I am going to buy and install a DSC security system. I will have a hybrid system with very few hardwired zones (mostly wireless). i am planning at the very least all doors and windows secured including properly placed motion sensors (hardwire motion if possible, might be tough getting a wire to that area. I will probably expand to smoke and possibly glass breaking sensors. I plan to purchase the Power series 1864. The questions I had are:

1. I like the ION wireless security sensor for DSC. Anybody have any experience with these?

2. I need to figure out what I need to buy in order to properly distribute the wireless.

3. I am not limited to wireless only keypads. I can get a wire to the location of either keypad.

4. If I am interested in the DSC PTK5507 PowerSeries TouchScreen, I understand it does not distribute wireless. What would be my options if I decide on this keypad?

5. i have read that when using wireless each device is a zone. In my house I have some windows that have two different windows that crank open(within the same window). So on the surface this sounds like I could have 1 window in a room that takes 2 zones. Is that how it is, or is there a way around having 2 zones on 1 window?

My goal right now is to buy enough hardware to get started. Could someone help me to make my initial purchase just to get started. i want to buy the main unit and secure all doors and say a window. I think that would get me started 2 doors are wireless while 2 doors are hardwire. The window would be wireless.
    So I know I need:
    Power series 1864 w power supply.
    2 wireless door sensors (Possibly ION) The doors are the typical steel skinned doors.
    2 wireless windows sensors Windows are vinyl windows. (possibly ION)
    2 hardwire sensors.

I am open to suggestions. I do thank anyone who takes time to help me get this list compiled for my first purchase. I would like to basically get the core system installed (including properly distributed wirless), so I can add sensora as needed.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the 1864 means 64 hardwired zones and you can have some large number of wireless zones that don't count for the 64. If you will only have a few hardwire zones you could get away with an 1832 unit and save a bit of cash.

I have a DSC and love it. I have an 1832 with 16 hard zones. I plan to get a single wireless sensor from my front door, but because I live in australia the postage for a $30 sensor is $40 and I don't know if I can pay that just on principle!

The integration with HS3 is really good - I use doors and motion sensors to turn on/off lights, start recording on cameras, etc. You can also use one of the programmed outputs to open/close the garage door.

Having the lights turn on in the house when the wife gets home from work and opens the door from the garage is good for the WAF.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter69 View Post
      I am going to buy and install a DSC security system. I will have a hybrid system with very few hardwired zones (mostly wireless). i am planning at the very least all doors and windows secured including properly placed motion sensors (hardwire motion if possible, might be tough getting a wire to that area. I will probably expand to smoke and possibly glass breaking sensors. I plan to purchase the Power series 1864. The questions I had are:

1. I like the ION wireless security sensor for DSC. Anybody have any experience with these?

2. I need to figure out what I need to buy in order to properly distribute the wireless.

3. I am not limited to wireless only keypads. I can get a wire to the location of either keypad.

4. If I am interested in the DSC PTK5507 PowerSeries TouchScreen, I understand it does not distribute wireless. What would be my options if I decide on this keypad?

5. i have read that when using wireless each device is a zone. In my house I have some windows that have two different windows that crank open(within the same window). So on the surface this sounds like I could have 1 window in a room that takes 2 zones. Is that how it is, or is there a way around having 2 zones on 1 window?

My goal right now is to buy enough hardware to get started. Could someone help me to make my initial purchase just to get started. i want to buy the main unit and secure all doors and say a window. I think that would get me started 2 doors are wireless while 2 doors are hardwire. The window would be wireless.
      So I know I need:
      Power series 1864 w power supply.
      2 wireless door sensors (Possibly ION) The doors are the typical steel skinned doors.
      2 wireless windows sensors Windows are vinyl windows. (possibly ION)
      2 hardwire sensors.

I am open to suggestions. I do thank anyone who takes time to help me get this list compiled for my first purchase. I would like to basically get the core system installed (including properly distributed wirless), so I can add sensora as needed.

1. They work VERY WELL.

2. See #4

3. This is good as the wireless signal from DSC keypads apparently isn't as good as others.

4. There is another module you would need to use. I forget it's name but if you call homesecuritystore they can tell you. Homeseer may carry it also. Personally I'd just get a wireless capable keypad and put it somewhere useful.

5. Every wireless device is a zone. So yes. Two zones for one "window". But. You can have multiple wired devices on the same zone.

The 1864 is limited to an absolute maximum of 64 zones, both wired and wireless.
      Zones 1-32 only can be wireless.
      Zones 33-64 can only be wired.
      All zones can be wired.

For the door sensors get the ones that go on the handle side of the door and not the ones that hide in the jamb on the hinge side. Those don't register an Open until the door is about 5" open. Actually skip that. Steel doors don't have a wooden style all the way to the bottom so there's nothing to fasten a sensor in there to. You will need to use surface mount sensors.

You can install the recessed sensors in a vinyl window. It's not a good idea though. Vinyl windows are made up of a honeycomb like structure and drilling a hole in there is making a weak structure weaker still.

Just call homesecuritystore and they will help you pick out the proper cabinets, power supplies, batteries and so on.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
        X