Trane XL824 Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trane XL824 Compatability

I am installing a new Trane XV95 & XL18 system, and would like to know if the Trane XL824 thermostat will be compatible with the HomeSeer system?

Trane promotes it use via Nexia, but I am not interested in the monthly fee of Nexia, and would rather purchase the HomeSeer.

Trane websites are unclear...

http://www.trane.com/residential/en/...ols/xl824.html

Other possibility would be the XL624

http://www.trane.com/residential/en/...ols/xl624.html

I guess the question would be, is the included Nexia bridge compatible with HomeSeer????

Nexia seems to be able to speak Z-Wave but that just a guess looking at compatible hardware so there may be a way to use that stat if it's Z-Wave compatible.
    After investigating further it appears that the XL824 is a WIFI stat so there would need to be a published API to communicate with the device. Almost all WIFI stats require http posts to a cloud based system which makes most proprietary.
    Last edited by Rupp; October 25, 2014, 10:35 AM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Nexia seems to be able to speak Z-Wave but that just a guess looking at compatible hardware so there may be a way to use that stat if it's Z-Wave compatible.
      After investigating further it appears that the XL824 is a WIFI stat so there would need to be a published API to communicate with the device. Almost all WIFI stats require http posts to a cloud based system which makes most proprietary.
      Thank you for the response. Does it mean that the 824 is NOT compatible with HomeSeer, but the 624 is?

HomeSeer is not a cloud-based system?

Comment

Originally posted by Tangoman View Post
        Thank you for the response. Does it mean that the 824 is NOT compatible with HomeSeer, but the 624 is?

HomeSeer is not a cloud-based system?
        The 624 should be compatible with HomeSeer's z-wave plugin out of the box. The 824 looks to be WiFi and although some Wifi thermostats are supported by plugins for HomeSeer, I'm not sure the 824 is.

HomeSeer is intended to run on a device in your home (PC, server, HomeTroller SE, etc.). It is accessible from the internet, but it's not a cloud based system.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Trane/Nexia XL624

Does anyone have 1st hand experience integrating the 624 is HS3 and are all features of the stat able to be operated from HS3?

Comment

Control the XL824 Trane Thermostat from within HS3?

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Is there a way to incorporate control of the XL824 within HS3? Has an API been or being developed?

Thanks
            Al
            Last edited by DESIi1; June 10, 2015, 06:17 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling

Comment

After much looking, I have not found any way to use wifi stats. May just downgrade it and go with zwave one.

Comment

Do these stats use Honeywell's Total Connect Comfort site?
                RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Never mind, I see its Nexia
                  RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Bringing this thread back to life..
                    Anyone get the XL824 stat to Zwave connect to HS3 (20yr old Carrier bit the dust at 4:45pm Fri, just before the holiday ..

It's "Zwave, Nexia Bridge compatible" which sounds like it internally connects to the Z-wave Nexia bridge and then out via Wifi?

You would think Zwave is Zwave, but it's reading like the Nexia Zwave bridge is all it will connect to..

How about any luck with HS3 Zwave on it's cousin the XL624?

Thanks,
                    Z

Comment

I've installed the XL624 on HS3 and with one exception, it works fine.
                      The exception is - when it calls for heat, it sets the child device to unknown and it can't interpret the value from the device correctly at that time.
                      As I use this state to control other devices, I just elected to use "unknown" in the event which works. This thread describes the issue more http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=173031&page=2

I don't see this problem when it calls for cooling.

Anyway, I have an extra one (brand new if you are interested)

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        I've installed the XL624 on HS3 and with one exception, it works fine.
                        The exception is - when it calls for heat, it sets the child device to unknown and it can't interpret the value from the device correctly at that time.
                        As I use this state to control other devices, I just elected to use "unknown" in the event which works. This thread describes the issue more http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=173031&page=2

I don't see this problem when it calls for cooling.

Anyway, I have an extra one (brand new if you are interested)

Robert
                        Thanks I'll have them provide the XL 624 instead of the 824 then. I don't need another one quite yet, but if this works out (it's part of the package price) I'll probably update the slightly older Trane thermostat in the main part of the house as well, that's assuming shipping North->South isn't as expensive as shipping South->North

Thanks,
                        Z

Comment

First post on these forums - I'm considering migrating from Nexia. My understanding is the XL824 and the XL950 which I have are Wifi only. They connect via WiFi to Nexia but do not directly support Zwave. This XL950 is the only part of my Nexia system that I don't think will migrate to Homeseer. If anyone finds a way to connect it or the XL824 I would like to know.

Comment

Can't be done as far as I know. You also likely have a communicating furnace and downgrading to 624 will lose alot of furnace functionality.

Comment

I think there is some misinformation here. The xl824 does have z-wave capability, the question is just whether it is a nexia-only implementation or whether it will work with homeseer. There is a z-wave alliance sheet for this thermostat: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1000/pics
                              This makes me think it will work, I think they have just written the manual very vaguely so as to encourage its use with nexia.

I would really love to use this thermostat but I would like to be sure it will work with homeseer.

Comment

Working...
                              X