No announcement yet.

Trane XL824 Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It IS a Zwave controller. Without the API or a plugin, it WILL NOT work with Homeseer. Personally, I would pay a couple hundred bucks to any developer that could reliably integrate it

Comment

Originally posted by weslsew View Post
      I think there is some misinformation here. The xl824 does have z-wave capability, the question is just whether it is a nexia-only implementation or whether it will work with homeseer. There is a z-wave alliance sheet for this thermostat: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1000/pics
      This makes me think it will work, I think they have just written the manual very vaguely so as to encourage its use with nexia.

I would really love to use this thermostat but I would like to be sure it will work with homeseer.
      Exactly what is it the 824 provides that the 624 does not? Except for some display features (weather, etc) and better blower speed control, they seem pretty similar? I have 3 - 624's and they do everything I need to do for a thermostat (ie mode/fan/temp). I even get the temp and humidity from them.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
        Exactly what is it the 824 provides that the 624 does not? Except for better blower speed control...
        Z
        That is pretty important with the modulating furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
          That is pretty important with the modulating furnace.
          So the 624 doesn't provide that function internally as well? My understanding was it's just not accessible via Zwave was the only difference?

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
            So the 624 doesn't provide that function internally as well? My understanding was it's just not accessible via Zwave was the only difference?

Z
            If I was previously unclear, I have the 624, and NO, it does not communicate with my furnace for proper fan control.

Comment

It IS a Zwave controller. Without the API or a plugin, it WILL NOT work with Homeseer. Personally, I would pay a couple hundred bucks to any developer that could reliably integrate it
              Yes, it is a z-wave controller "nexia bridge" they call it, but it also has the ability to be a z-wave device or node, it is mentioned in the manual briefly "z-wave repeater mode". The manual mentions that it is possible to use two or more xl824 in the same house on the same nexia network, but it just says the others will automatically configure themselves as repeaters. That makes me think it has the ability to function as a z-wave device.

Comment

New Nexia Thermostat model has bridge built in

Originally posted by weslsew View Post
                Yes, it is a z-wave controller "nexia bridge" they call it, but it also has the ability to be a z-wave device or node, it is mentioned in the manual briefly "z-wave repeater mode". The manual mentions that it is possible to use two or more xl824 in the same house on the same nexia network, but it just says the others will automatically configure themselves as repeaters. That makes me think it has the ability to function as a z-wave device.
                My service man told me that the new thermostat will have the bridge built in, therefor not needing the bridge.

Comment

so i am looking to use the 824 with z wave only for HS, not nexia... do we know if they included the zwave bridge in the model?
                  HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
                    so i am looking to use the 824 with z wave only for HS, not nexia... do we know if they included the zwave bridge in the model?
                    The 824 has a Zwave bridge built into the thermostat which then communicates with Nexia. I've not found a way to get it to acknowledge any Zwave commands directly, I suspect it's permanently linked to the internal bridge already.

I use the 624 instead but they have their own issues as well.

Z

Comment

Bump
                      Has anyone got the XL824 to work with Homeseer?

Comment

I have (5) of these XL824 Z-Wave+ T-Stats and I would pay also. Great T-Stat

Comment

I'm an American Standard dealer (same thing as Trane).

The 624 will directly connect to any Z wave hub. It's no longer in production, and has been replaced with the 724. The 724 operates on Z wave frequency, but will only connect to a Nexia hub.

The 824 operates on Z wave frequency but will only connect to a Nexia hub.

Both the 724 and 824 DO have wifi capability, but ONLY for creating an ad-hoc network to set up the Z wave connection. Turn on the wifi on the stat, it broadcasts a network for a mobile device to connect to after downloading the Nexia app, then it sets up the stat to connect to your Nexia account. After that's set up, the wifi will no longer be on. They will not connect to a wifi router, and cannot be controlled via wifi.

As far as I know, Ingersoll Rand (they own AS, Trane, Nexia, Schlage, etc, etc, etc) will not be releasing any API for development, since they're pushing Nexia.

Comment

I just had a new HVAC system installed and it is using the XL1050 (similar to the XL824 or XL850). So far, I have found no way to connect to it from HomeSeer. If anyone has cracked this since this latest post, please share.

Thanks.

Comment

I did quite a bit of research on this before. The Trane website is confusing, i.e. it kind of suggests that the 824 and higher support z-wave. But they don't actually act as a z-wave node. I don't think there is a way to get them added to a HS z-wave network. So I ended up buying a couple of 624. As cahilj mentioned, they should allow WiFi control, though. I never looked into this in more detail as I wasn't interested in anything WiFi but it might be the best solution for you.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennWo View Post
                                I just had a new HVAC system installed and it is using the XL1050 (similar to the XL824 or XL850). So far, I have found no way to connect to it from HomeSeer. If anyone has cracked this since this latest post, please share.

Thanks.
                                The 824 only looks the same as the 850 or 1050. The 850 and 1050 use a serial communication loop to control the equipment. The big difference between the 850 and 1050 is that the 1050 is capable of controlling an HVAC zoning panel, the 850 is not. The 824 is a standard 24v relay stat. You got the top of the line in efficiency with your system as long as they used variable speed equipment.

All 3 are capable of being a Z wave controller, operate on the standard Z wave frequency, and will allow you to control pretty much any Z wave capable device (although in mostly limited fashion. IE- you can't change any device parameters, icons, or anything multi-function). The only difference between AS Home (newly rebranded from Nexia) and most Z wave controllers is that the controller is not open source, and it can't be controlled by other controllers. It would be similar to trying to control a Smartthings hub from Homeseer.

There is still not a way to connect or control any AS Home stat from Homeseer, and I doubt there ever will be. AS Home hasn't (and probably won't) share any of their API or login info for even a simple plugin. They'd be losing a portion of the market by doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X