X-10 XPFM Inline Receiver keeps dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-10 XPFM Inline Receiver keeps dying

I have two gate post lights with LED bulbs that I control with X-10 XPFM Inline Receiver Modules. On one, I have now gone through 2 of these units with the last one only lasting a few months. Can anyone guess why this is happening? The other one is fine and is about 2 years old and no problems. If I knew where the power came into the house, I would control with some other method...
    I have the XPFM tucked inside the base of the post light protected from water. The wiring looks fine....

Any guesses? Any other possible solutions?

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    I have two gate post lights with LED bulbs that I control with X-10 XPFM Inline Receiver Modules. On one, I have now gone through 2 of these units with the last one only lasting a few months. Can anyone guess why this is happening? The other one is fine and is about 2 years old and no problems. If I knew where the power came into the house, I would control with some other method...
    I have the XPFM tucked inside the base of the post light protected from water. The wiring looks fine....

Any guesses? Any other possible solutions?

Rob
    Hi Rob, have you opened up the failed units? Maybe post some pictures of the guts. I believe they are not really designed for led. Which bulbs are you using?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Yeah... I opened one of them. There's nothing burnt inside of it... The unit is the appliance model equivalent which is suppose to work with florescent/LED bulbs.. I used Cree and Sylvania LED bulbs. I'm not sure if that's the issue since the other one works fine.
      Perhaps it's just bad luck and I'll try to replace it before it gets too cold.

Rob
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have no solution for you but did utilize in-line x10 modules for many years. They worked fine for me. I recall having one in the kitchen can over the sink in my old house. It was on/off some 24/7 for years and never failed. That said I removed it before moving from the home and noticed that the old incandescent bulb heat had done a number on it over the years and it still worked fine at the time of removal. Only thing was that it was in the house and not subject to any temperature extremes from the outside (midwest seasonal changes).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X