Need assistance w\ creating events based on motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need assistance w\ creating events based on motion

I'm using the w800 plug in which seems to be picking up the motion sensors. When I create an event to turn on lights when motion is detected and then turn off lights after 2 minutes when no motion is detected. The way I have it set is causing chaos...lights turn on and off randomly... see print screen of my event.... any help would be appreciated....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moodus06469; November 8, 2014, 01:36 PM. Reason: attempted to paste a picture of the event

Hi,

Take a look at this thread for some ideas: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167599 (especially post #14). There are other threads on this topic as well.

One of the issues is that you create delayed events which will trigger even if new motion is detected. You need to delete those delayed events as part of the motion trigger. You're also likely triggering based on both a motion on and off and that needs to be adjusted in your IF statement. Can you confirm which motion sensors you are using?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

ms16a motion sensor i bought from the x10 web site

I'm using the ms16a motion sensor I bought from the x10 web site.

Comment

Originally posted by moodus06469 View Post
        I'm using the ms16a motion sensor I bought from the x10 web site.
        It sends both a "motion" and "no motion" value (on and off), so your event will turn on the light when it sends "on" and again when it sends "off", so rather than using "just had its value set or changed" in your IF statement, use "had its value set to" with "on/motion/100" as the value. You also need to add a Then action to remove delayed events for Basement Stairs Dimmer Switch. This action should be before your delayed action to turn the light off.

Cheers
        Al

Comment

There is more than 1 way to achieve the result but something like this should do it:
          Attached Files

Comment

@ sooty,
            I don't understand the last two lines in your event. Could you please explain them?
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              I don't understand the last two lines in your event. Could you please explain them?
              Rather than relying on a No Motion or Off trigger from the Motion Sensor, those two statements turn the light off. By removing any existing delayed events, this ensures that the light will turn off 5 minutes after the last Motion is received.

As an example when motion is first received (and the other conditions are true), the light is turned on, any delayed events turning the light off are removed and then a delayed event is created that turns the light off 5 minutes later. If an additional motion command is received, the initial delayed event is deleted and then a new delayed event is created. All this ensures that the light is turned off 5 minutes after the last motion is detected and that the light it not turned off when not wanted. Hope that helps.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Thanks guys

Helpful tips for me on the removing delayed actions. Now walk-in closet light does not flash off and then right back on when wife is working in there. Had to put a motion dectector and Zwave switch in there because somebody in the household will never turn the light off.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Rather than relying on a No Motion or Off trigger from the Motion Sensor, those two statements turn the light off.

----------------

All this ensures that the light is turned off 5 minutes after the last motion is detected and that the light it not turned off when not wanted. Hope that helps.

Cheers
                  Al

I'm not clear on why a simple no motion for exactly XX minutes wouldn't do the exact same thing. Maybe I'm missing something here. Hopefully I am! Maybe I shouldn't have had that last beer. Never mind that it was also my first. Is the point that the motion detectors in question might not be reliable and thus "Rather than relying on a No Motion or Off trigger from the Motion Sensor"?
                  Originally posted by rprade
                  There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Is the point that the motion detectors in question might not be reliable and thus "Rather than relying on a No Motion or Off trigger from the Motion Sensor"?
                    That's the primary reason. As well, HST has indicated in the past that using "exactly XX minutes" in events has some risk of not executing because if HS is busy at that exact point in time, the condition may never be true. Having said that, I have a number of events that use that trigger and they have been reliable.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

I'm not clear on why a simple no motion for exactly XX minutes wouldn't do the exact same thing. Maybe I'm missing something here. Hopefully I am! Maybe I shouldn't have had that last beer. Never mind that it was also my first. Is the point that the motion detectors in question might not be reliable and thus "Rather than relying on a No Motion or Off trigger from the Motion Sensor"?
                      As I said in my post, with HS there is almost always more than 1 way to achieve a result.

The type of motion sensors I have are not really suitable for device control because they don't send a no-motion signal. The plug-in that handles these devices sets the No-Motion state approximately 3 minutes after a motion signal is received.

Because of this I tend to use separate events to turn lights off using multiple conditions including "no motion for X minutes" and they seem to work fine here.

Paul..

Comment

I control all my lighting with X10 motion sensors and the w800 but I use the great new HS3 timers to control them.

Just create a timer for the light you want to control then create an event that triggers the restart timer command which will start or restart the timer every time the sensor detects motion.

Then have a second event that if motion is detected and the light is off then turn it on.

Then create a third event that when the timer reaches your off time then turn the light off and stop the timer.

The good thing about doing this is you can do some cool things like when the timer is about to time out then you can trigger an event to flash the light so you know to move a little before you are plunged in to the dark. Also I group all 3 events so you can add group conditions so I can turn on or off motion detection with one simple device in homeseer and the condition of is this device on.

I hope this helps someone out.

Greig.
                        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                        Scripts =
                        Various

Comment

Creating the If statement

When I create the If statement "if device changes and becomes" I can't enter a custom value like "motion". I am limited to selecting only x To y. X and y can only be numerical values. In the examples you pointed me to, I see custom values in the If statement ....Motion and No Motion.... How do I set custom values ?

Comment

I'm assuming you manually added the motion sensor to HS. Go into the Status Graphics tab and set up similar to my screen shot below. You should have some additional options in your events. Once you've set up the first one, you can copy that device and use it for other motion sensors just changing the code (and name/locations if needed). You can do something similar with the light sensor part of the MS18.

Cheers
                            Al
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've had great success using the timers feature in HS3. I have an event that starts the timer when the light status changes to on (either by motion or by manual switch) then I have another event that resets the timer when motion is sensed. I then have another event that turns off the light when the timer reaches 5 minutes.

As long as there is motion in the room the timer will just keep getting reset to 0:00 and start counting up. once the room is vacated and the timer reaches 5:00 the light goes off.

This also works well with my motion sensors on my concord panel, they have a battery saving feature that reports motion once, then they go to sleep for 3 minutes then "re-arm" and will report the motion again if its still being detected. the 5 minute timer delay accounts for the motion sensor to sleep and re-awaken, check for motion, before the timer to turn off lights is reached.

I really like using the timer feature for this because it doesn't matter whether the light was turned on by the switch, an event, or triggered by motion, it shuts itself off when the room is empty regardless.

Comment

Working...
                              X