Need assistance w\ creating events based on motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-F View Post
    The trigger is five minutes and the condition is that the light has a value not equal to off. I have dozens of such events.
    I'm missing something here. What does "trigger is five minutes" mean? Here is what I have. With this event, when lights are triggered manually, they turn off right away.
    Attached Files

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
      I'm missing something here. What does "trigger is five minutes" mean? Here is what I have. With this event, when lights are triggered manually, they turn off right away.

Your event is exactly what I was trying to describe. The reason your lights are turning off immediately is that HS doesn't detect motion yet, for some reason. I have this problem from time to time with my DSC system. I can sit there turning the light on repeatedly and HS shuts them of.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        Your event is exactly what I was trying to describe. The reason your lights are turning off immediately is that HS doesn't detect motion yet, for some reason. I have this problem from time to time with my DSC system. I can sit there turning the light on repeatedly and HS shuts them of.
        Yes, that is exactly what is happening. The MS is not pointed at the light switch. The event works great for turning off lights--but really annoys the wife when she tries to turn on the light. I have now changed the event such that it the trigger is "exactly" instead of "at least" five minutes. Though i have read that this trigger is less reliable. Evidently if HS is busy at the wrong time the event wont trigger.

Too bad there is no "device not for at least" condition. Another condition that would work, is "Device has had a value in this range for at least".

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
          Yes, that is exactly what is happening. The MS is not pointed at the light switch. The event works great for turning off lights--but really annoys the wife when she tries to turn on the light. I have now changed the event such that it the trigger is "exactly" instead of "at least" five minutes. Though i have read that this trigger is less reliable. Evidently if HS is busy at the wrong time the event wont trigger.

Too bad there is no "device not for at least" condition. Another condition that would work, is "Device has had a value in this range for at least".

I imagine that your system would need to be anemic to suffer that fate. I have a bunch of events that use "Exactly" also and have never had one fail. Really what fails for me with HS3 isn't the event engine. It's either me, a plugin or hardware. Really hardware is the #1 cause of failures. And plugins are the #1 cause of frustration.

Comment

Thinking about this a little more.

Like dreamgreenhouse and the "wasp in a box", it might be useful to have a virtual device for each room. Occupied or not. Manually turning the light on would make the virtual switch "occupied".

That all being said, Ian Mercer is right that sensor density is the most important factor in home automation. I have three motion sensors in my children's playroom to make sure that the lights don't go off when they're in there. It's also very responsive to the presence of motion. On the flip side, if you are using PIR's you have to make sure that they can see you as soon as you enter a room but that they can't see through a door. I have a bad problem with my kitchen and living room PIR's in that they can see people in the other room. I move around in the living room and the kitchen lights up. I walk into the kitchen and the living room lights up. I have to move those....... when I manage to dig up the time..... I suppose I could be doing that right now instead of dicking around on the internet.

Comment

I started to create virtual devices for each room when I was working on location stuff. I forgot about it until you reminded me! In this context it is a good idea, and also something that could become more accurate over time as presence detection improves. I try to keep events to a minimum, and not get too complicated for each task, but the virtual device for each room can be useful for more than one thing.

I'm still one MS per area. There are a couple of areas that will benefit from more, however, there are a couple that would benefit from a door/open sensor even more. I use MS16A for MS. I was thinking of using insteon recessed door sensors, but then I saw some z-wave devices that looked similar. I have z-wave, and not insteon right now, so I am now leaning towards z-wave devices now. Those too would work nicely with occupancy virtual devices for closet type places.

Also, I thought the internet was created purely with which to dick around?

Comment

Don't rule out a DSC panel. They are cheap, easy to configure, have competitively priced wireless sensors and are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more reliable than Z-Wave devices.

And yeah. It does seem like the internet is kinda the new TV. Eventually a term will emerge which is the "information super highway" equivalent of "couch potato".

Comment

Working...
                X