Help Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Getting Started

I am looking at starting an automation system for our new home. It is already about 90% completed so I am thinking I need it to be fairly wireless.

Initially I plan to just automate some lights, but later would possibly like the option to add pool equipment, A/C, and irrigation. It looks like the Homtroller SEL would work from the comparison chart. Can lights be activated through this system, say by tripping the home security system?

My question is what all do I need to purchase to get started, and where does the Hometroller "live"? Does it need to be connected to a computer or could it just be in a closet with an ethernet connection? What needs to be bought to control the lights then? Do you just buy the Z-wave switches and they work by Wi-Fi?? Any help for this newbie would be appreciated! Thanks!

Originally posted by krleonard72 View Post
    I am looking at starting an automation system for our new home. It is already about 90% completed so I am thinking I need it to be fairly wireless.
    Welcome to the board. Your post has some interesting questions with complex answers. You may find it more productive to break up your questions into bite-sized chunks - ideally with each focused on one technology area - and post them in related forums on the board.

Initially I plan to just automate some lights, but later would possibly like the option to add pool equipment, A/C, and irrigation. It looks like the Homtroller SEL would work from the comparison chart. Can lights be activated through this system, say by tripping the home security system?
    Almost anything is possible, but some ingenuity may be required. Turning on lights in response to changes in security devices, though, is pretty straightforward. The most central consideration is the security panel choice and the availability of a plug-in for it.

My question is what all do I need to purchase to get started, and where does the Hometroller "live"? Does it need to be connected to a computer or could it just be in a closet with an ethernet connection? What needs to be bought to control the lights then? Do you just buy the Z-wave switches and they work by Wi-Fi?? Any help for this newbie would be appreciated! Thanks!
    The Hometroller is a computer, so it does not need to be connected to another. Some devices will communicate with it by WiFi. Most need a serial link. There are hardware options that provide virtual serial ports via Ethernet/WiFi, but that increases cost and adds another layer of complexity. Z-wave switches require a dedicated interface connected to the Hometroller, but the switches communicate with that interface wirelessly.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
    X