Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Wire Heating Control Interface

Intro
    My home currently has an electric heating system (boiler, radiators and towel rail) which is controlled using a proprietary pilot wire bus arrangement which seems difficult to integrate with. I'm looking to achieve Homeseer Control of the system.

The current System
    Each device is connected to a ring main.

Zones of devices (IE: Zone1 = upstairs radiators, Zone2 = Bathroom towel rail etc) are linked together with a single core control cable which runs at 240V 1mA. The heater output is either preset or adjustable locally on each device using a physical slider.

A control unit has multiple zone outputs and a configurable schedule. It is essentially very basic - turning the zones on or off based on the set schedule. However, it also has a "frost protection" mode which essentially sets each device to it's minimum output.

I'm in the UK and it's a system from a UK manufacturer. I can't find similar systems from any other suppliers so don't know if there is a US equivalent. The manufacturer offers minimal information (http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/o...ns_Issue_4.pdf)

My Thoughts / Questions
    - The pilot wire doesn't seem to change voltage when the controller is in different modes so I presume there's a frequency change in the voltage. How can I check this with basic tools / knowledge
    - Is there any interface on sale that may work with this system
    - Am I better off just fitting a z-wave relay to each heater and disconnecting the current system? (obviously adding temperature sensors to the rooms)

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Googled automation of Dimplex systems. It is widely utlized and I didn't find any 3rd party controllers / thermostats for it though. Maybe I didn't look enough.

That said I do see a few mods of their proprietary wireless controls that might work. IE: purchasing a wireless controller and extra remote controls to modify?

This side (1 mA controller wire) would be optimum. Once you start to play with the high voltage / amperage side of the its a totally different thing. Well you would be having too do this accounting for the saftey features that are built in. It would be a redesign with connectivity probably to new installed contactors with low voltage control by any 3rd party thermostat.

BTW read very good stuff about the company Dimplex and its wares.

Am I better off just fitting a z-wave relay to each heater and disconnecting the current system?
    This is the redesign pieces and would circumvent the built high voltage high amperage stuff built in using a contactor et al type of stuff.

Here my thermostat is serially connected to my Leviton HAI OmniPro II controller (which can be controlled by Homeseer). The thermostat has mucho features by itself and connected. While the remote features are convenient; they are seldom utilized. I do here have remote temperature and humidity sensors and those are looked at. It is though a forced air heating and cooling set up. To get even temperatures across three floors I leave the fan on which keeps the air flowing. I also utilize a built in to the furnace electronic air cleaner with two sets of filters (charcoal) which are cleaned or replaced once a month.

I would also give the UK Automated Forum a try just to see if anyone there is automating with a Dimplex system. I am Pete there.

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/forum.php?

Someone also mentioned the following forum relating to thermostat control on a EU automation forum.

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewforum.php?f=70
    Last edited by Pete; November 19, 2014, 07:47 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
    X