Strange USB digi problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange USB digi problem

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light into a long standing issue I have with my ACER Verition 1000 and Digi Edgeport 22/c.
    It seems that when the PC is power on, it doesn't post properly when the Digi is plugged into it. It will re-initialize/reset and try to post again. It will do this forever until I unplug the Digi. As soon as it makes it past the part in the post where it would fail, I can plug in the Digi and the system comes up just fine. I'm not sure why this is causing this and thought about replacing the 22/c. On the other hand, I was wondering if there is another solution?

This would become a serious problem if I lost power after my UPS restored and I wasn't around to fumble with the USB device.

I tried a powered USB hub to no avail as well.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Have you checked your BIOS as it sounds like the pc is trying to boot off of a USB device. Check the boot order in the BIOS and set the USB to last and see if this helps.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yup... checked that. It's not trying to boot from the Digi. In fact it never makes it to that part in the bios.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Does this USB hardware cause this same issue on another PC? If so it could be the device otherwise it could be a flaky BIOS that needs updating. It could also be the USB drivers that need updating as well. Is it by any chance a USB 3.0 port?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here utilize a Digi powered 7 port USB hub plugged into two Digi 8 port Edgeports on two Homeseer 2 machines. (16 serial ports)

Years ago the older Digi drivers would add new serial ports if unplugging and plugging in the device. I would just remove them all editing the registry and that would work. Today the newer Digi drivers to serial clean themselves up.

I have no issues with this configuration powering up and down PC. Its been fine for many years now using Windows 2003 Standard server for my two Homeseer 2.X boxes.

Doing VM testing with Homeseer utilized a Digi USB Anywhere plugged into the same two Digi 8 port Edgeports and all worked fine except the Way 2 Call box and a USB sound card.

Here went to testing an using a Lantronix USB to Network device and it worked fine.

Many times with multiple USB devices plugged in or removed the USB list gets messed up. You can review it and remove devices you no longer utilize with the attached program.

Note too that I am using Digi everything (hub and edgeports). None was purchased new except if it was old new stock stuff and all of it was less than $50 USD per device.

BTW if there is any disconnect of the USB cable to the PC then the Digi drivers all load again which is time consuming and most likely Homeseer will load before the drivers. This will indeed mess with the Homeseer plugins that utilize whatever is plugged into the Digi ports.

I also have no power savings features enabled on the USB connections / hubs. IE: If I power down Homeseer the USB powered hub stays on line (along with the W2C box). IE: if put the USB powered devices (including the Hub) on the same power supply as Homeseer you will probably have issues. IE: best to keep these on a separate UPS maybe. Here I have two sections; one is just a server rack with boxes on it with their own UPS's. The automation section for Homeseer devices is around 20 feet away and has its own UPS. I am using extended active USB cables for the Homeseer connected USB powered hubs.

Here is a drawing. Note that I have the 7 port Digi hub fully populated and just included the W2C box in this drawing.

I am doing the same with the Homeseer 3 Pro box running on Ubuntu 64bit 14.10 server. It sees the Digi boxes just fine. Playing with an easy way to ascertain which USB port is what and which RS-232 port is what on the Linux box testing. (I have spare Digi USB hubs and Digi Edgeport 8's to play with). I want to keep the wired one USB cable for automation thing running the same with Linux.

Audio is divided up some. The AB8SS is connected to a serial port on one Digi Edgeport. The two Russound amps sitting on the rack controllers cat5e go to a patch panel behind the rack and the RS-232 cable (split) going to the Edgeport 8 in the trinkets section.

The "trinkets" section is divided into three subsections.

1 - One subsection is just antenna / splitter / amps for satellite / cable / OTA sort of done up patch panel wise.
          2 - Leviton Can with 1-wire distribution and initial network / telephone distribution with a 24 port patch panel / 24 port Gb switch and multiple 1-wire controllers
          3 - automation trinkets tacked on to plywood panel. (digi stuff, w2 call stuff, powerline automation PIMs, et al).

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; November 17, 2014, 10:16 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            I was wondering if anyone can shed some light into a long standing issue I have with my ACER Verition 1000 and Digi Edgeport 22/c.
            It seems that when the PC is power on, it doesn't post properly when the Digi is plugged into it. It will re-initialize/reset and try to post again. It will do this forever until I unplug the Digi. As soon as it makes it past the part in the post where it would fail, I can plug in the Digi and the system comes up just fine. I'm not sure why this is causing this and thought about replacing the 22/c. On the other hand, I was wondering if there is another solution?

This would become a serious problem if I lost power after my UPS restored and I wasn't around to fumble with the USB device.

I tried a powered USB hub to no avail as well.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Rob
            Since it is happening early in post it is safe to assume that it is some problem the Acer BIOS has with the device. It looks like the last BIOS update was in 2009 to R01.D1. If your BIOS is older you might try updating it. Since you said it happens well before boot devices are chosen it is unlikely you can "fool" the BIOS into ignoring the device. Even though it happens early, have you tried disabling all boot devices other than the HDD? Does the behavior change if you disable all boot devices maybe choosing network boot. Disable "Silent Boot" on the off chance you might see more info? Other than that I can't think of anything else you can do other than going to a different serial device or computer. When I was running a couple of ADIO100s I had great luck with Ethernet to serial devices. They also had the added advantage of allowing me to bring up a spare HS server without moving any wires.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions... I'll take a second look for boot devices.

@Pete... I had often wondered when you have all your hubs going to one USB port on the system, if there is I/o contention. Particularly when you've got disk drives hanging off the hubs. Do you know?

Comment

There is no I/O contention issues. That said the base W2003 standard Homeseer builds I am using is on a 30Gb partition. I couldn't find any smaller than 160 Gb SATA drives though. I don't hang any USB hard drives on the USB hubs though. (just automation stuff).

Yup thinking though a USB drive plus other stuff on a USB hub may cause some boot issues (power sucking stuff).

I do have O2 Jogglers which are Atom based and they do boot from USB SSD drives. These go directly to one USB port and are powered by the 5VDC USB port. I tried hanging them off and booting from a powered USB hub (well a Digi hub) and for whatever reason when booting off of the hub it does like a reset of the USB port / hub which causes a short disconnect on the USB Hub. I have switched the SSD drives over to a ZIF==>PATA port connection and have no issues anymore. I do also get a hang sometimes when booting from a PATA SSD with just a regular USB SSD drive on the USB hub.

Typically here enable all of the USB BIOS settings for everything. Boot devices, Keyboards, et al. Here is a BIOS picture of my USB settings for the Homeseer server.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X