Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

event actions disappearing

Hey guys !

We've had strange things occurring on our installations throughout the last 8 years but this one is probably the strangest and very worrying.

On 2 different installations at 2 different sites which runs a similar event holding same trigger and action sets, we have had a specific event ( named "Z2S1" for Zone2 Source1 / audio amp control ) that had all it's actions deleted.

Basically, on the same day, 2 different homeseer installation had the exact same problem, both event with same name had all of it's actions deleted but nothing else was affected on both sites. Only the specifically named event's actions.

We ruled out the hack theory since we did not find any hammering or suspicious login traces of it. also, a hacker would have done much more damage then a specific set of actions.

The problem did not cause a major glitch other than the fact the audio zones did not restore after a specific trigger but thinking this could happen on an alarm event scares me the most.

Any idea if the name, trigger or actions of an even could conflict with anything in HS database after months of uptime ?

No reboot or update was noticed on both installs.

Actually, what could cause automatic action deletion ? I don't even think anything else than the DELETE button beside the action list could make them disappear.

Are you running HS2 or HS3 and which version of HS are you running?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

events disapearing

Sorry Rupp ! That would in deed be useful information

HomeSeer Version:
      Standard Edition 2.5.0.49
      HomeSeer:
      Is Registered
      HomeSeer Localization:
      Operating System:
      Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
      OS Version:
      6.1.7601 Service Pack: 1.0
      System Uptime:
      1 Day 19 Hours 54 Minutes 41 Seconds
      User Name and Access Level:
      hstouch (Admin)
      Plug-Ins Enabled:
      HSTouch Server, Insteon, Media Player, HSTouch Android,
      HSTouch iPhone
      Processor Type and Speed:
      Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 at 2,98 GHz
      Modules/Threads:
      158 Modules, 52 Threads
      System Processes/Load:
      54 Processes, 19% Load
      Free / Total Physical Memory:
      1,95 GBytes / 3,71 GBytes (53% free)
      Free / Total Virtual Memory:
      5,65 GBytes / 7,42 GBytes (76% free)
      HomeSeer Memory Used:
      70 Mbytes
      COM Plug-In Memory Used:
      6 Mbytes for HS_Compatibility.

Comment

You may want to upgrade to the last version of HS which is 2.5.81 and is available via the blue downloads button above and select the Older Versions link.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

alrighty ! I'll do that.

Thx, so you think this could be a revision issue ? I have never seen that kind of bug before and god only knows how many events I've created since the beginning

Comment

I did have a similar problem about a month ago.
            One event lost it's actions daily. I'd restore the event, but next day, same thing. This event had been untouched for years.
            Tried
            Copying the event & naming the copy to the original (after having deleted the latter)
            Deleting the event and re-creating it.
            Restarting HS
            Using Access to repair the database (another restart).

Still had a problem with that one event.

Eventually, simply renamed the event. No problem since. What can one say?
            HS 2.5.0.80.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Glad to see where are not the only haunted people

We only had that happen once on both sites, we fixed them 4-5 days ago with no new incident, we will update as Rupp recommended but unless the new version had a precise revision related to this, Im not sure this is the absolute fix for this specific problem. I tend to think it is related to the event name conflicting with some internal database tag.

thx guys !

Comment

It might be instructive to generate a set of identical events with minor name variations, such as Zn2Src1, zon2s1, Z2Sr1, Zn2S1, Zone2Source1.

I'm thinking something like this: Disable all the test events and wait to see if the mysterious action erase is specific to the name. If it is, then fix the damaged event, disable it, and enable one of the test copies to see if disabling the event has an effect. If the name matters you could explore further or just pick one that seems to survive.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Seems to be a Canadian problem
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                    Seems to be a Canadian problem
                    It must be a cold weather thing

I haven't had it happen yet, so hopefully only affected by cold weather and HS2...
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                      It must be a cold weather thing

I haven't had it happen yet, so hopefully only affected by cold weather and HS2...

Or too many "Eh"s in the event
                      cheeryfool

Comment

HAHAHA !

I don't have the "eh" habit but I agree, it's snow related !
                        Strangely, that problem occurred on the same day the first snow storm hit us, could be related to the flu spread ! They say viruses adapt, we now have technical proofs !

All in all, I'll keep my hopes in solving this issue ( And win the Stanley cup too / GO HABS GO ! )

We will change the event names after updating, im sure it's that simple of a fix.

Wade, you're right, if your event "kitchen_light" conflicts with a default DB tag or variable, the dev team is clearly running out of terms. "yuk yuk"

thx guys !

Comment

Originally posted by loowee View Post
                          HAHAHA !
                          Wade, you're right, if your event "kitchen_light" conflicts with a default DB tag or variable, the dev team is clearly running out of terms. "yuk yuk"
                          I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday. I'd changed the event from "Kitchen Motion" to "_Kitchen Motion". Just changed it back; we'll see, eh?
                          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                          X