Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to "Tink"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What happened to "Tink"

    So has "Tink" deserted the HST ship?

    He's been very quiet here recently and it looks like he's also taken on a lot of responsibility with the Z-Wave Alliance.

    Paul..

    #2
    He's still around but you are correct that much of his time is being spent helping out with the Z-Wave Alliance.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      I know Rick was frustrated with many Z-Wave things so I hope he can make some sense of the Alliance. Not a task I would want to take on.

      Earlier this year I exchanged quite a few emails with Mark Walters regarding the farcical way in which the "Alliance" worked or rather didn't work for European Z-Wave end users and whether right or wrong, how I interpreted the outcome of those conversations was that the Alliance is (or was) merely a puppet controlled by Sigma.

      Paul..

      Comment


        #4
        I too am frustrated by many Z-wave things these days.

        Comment


          #5
          I am going to make an assumption here.

          If HS find a way to resolve z-wave problems which have plagued us since day 1 any modifications would only be to HS3 and not retrospective to HS2?
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Gogs View Post
            I am going to make an assumption here.

            If HS find a way to resolve z-wave problems which have plagued us since day 1 any modifications would only be to HS3 and not retrospective to HS2?
            That's correct but the latest HS3 Z-Wave plugin is working really well for many.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah, the newest beta was just released in the past few days. I'd wait a bit before stamping any approval on it.

              Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
              HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
              79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
              Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
              Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                Yeah, the newest beta was just released in the past few days. I'd wait a bit before stamping any approval on it.

                Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                Wasn't talking about the beta. Remember there are a whole lot of HomeSeer users that never venture here
                -Rupp
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  That's correct but the latest HS3 Z-Wave plugin is working really well for many.
                  I am happy for those using HS3 that the problems are being solved.

                  Pity though that those of us that cannot switch to HS3, for what ever reason, are just being discarded after the investment and support that has been given since HS1.

                  I would have thought that as HS2 and their users were abandoned without solving the Zwave problem a HS2 upgrade would have been made available.

                  After all, as HS3 develops and solves the reasons that are preventing users changing to HS3 they will come over, however, if all support apart from this BBS is stopped people will look elsewhere.

                  I for one have found a brilliant home automation programme that handles z-wave and X10 brilliantly, however does not have the flexibility, nor family that HS does.

                  Rant over, pity HST have chosen to abandon HS2 and 1 users for the sake of the greater thing.
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                    I am happy for those using HS3 that the problems are being solved.

                    Pity though that those of us that cannot switch to HS3, for what ever reason, are just being discarded after the investment and support that has been given since HS1.

                    I would have thought that as HS2 and their users were abandoned without solving the Zwave problem a HS2 upgrade would have been made available.

                    After all, as HS3 develops and solves the reasons that are preventing users changing to HS3 they will come over, however, if all support apart from this BBS is stopped people will look elsewhere.

                    I for one have found a brilliant home automation programme that handles z-wave and X10 brilliantly, however does not have the flexibility, nor family that HS does.

                    Rant over, pity HST have chosen to abandon HS2 and 1 users for the sake of the greater thing.
                    I understand. The issue with HS2 was the Z-Wave code was part of the base application and it became a nightmare to maintain and expand. Now that the Z-Wave code is a separate plugin and the code was reorganized it's a ton easier to maintain and upgrade. Add to this the fact that the staff members are spread thin developing HS3 it simply didn't leave any resources for HS2.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      I understand. The issue with HS2 was the Z-Wave code was part of the base application and it became a nightmare to maintain and expand. Now that the Z-Wave code is a separate plugin and the code was reorganized it's a ton easier to maintain and upgrade. Add to this the fact that the staff members are spread thin developing HS3 it simply didn't leave any resources for HS2.
                      Thanks Rupp for your honest reply, and completely see where you are coming from.

                      I still feel that as a gesture to HS2 users whom are not ready to upgrade, or change, to HS3 a version of HS2 should be released that allows z-wave to operate as it should. To keep the faith type thing, and as HST never solved the problem for HS2, however appear to be happy to walk away from it.

                      I am not a programmer, however have seen many scripts changed to plugins, so I am going to assume it is not that difficult.

                      Microsoft, when they dumped XP (Big Mistake IMHO) in favour of Win 8 built in a sort of built in a compatibility mode.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Gogs,

                        I'm not sure this is the response you want or intend, but I'll toss out there:
                        Have you considered getting a HSZee? I use that as my Z-Wave network box. I intend this post as a Food for thought, as I was in a similar situation as you describe.

                        The only real thing that it needs is an easy way to link or communicate with HS2/HS3. Aside from that, I have essentially eliminated all my Z-Wave issues by moving to the Zee. I was able to move the box to a location suitable for good communication to all devices (now all my devices communicate directly with my Z-Stick, instead of having ANY hops).

                        I am now also more confident in my system - since most things that are Z-Wave in my house are things that I would prefer NOT getting messed up (Thermostat, door locks, custom made sprinkler system, etc.).

                        It was inexpensive and although not the fastest thing in the world, it does it's job and it does it well. It does not seem to suffer lockups or any other issues. All this comes at a price - no plugins (except Z-Wave and X-10), basic scripting, web only interface. I've yet to find a GOOD way to link both the Zee and my HS2/HS3 machine. I have a few hacks which seem to work reasonably well - but I'm not confident enough to put anything TOO serious across the link.

                        --Dan
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Do the Zee and HS2 actually communicate with respect to Z-wave?

                          FWIW, I didn't find z-wave in HS3 to be a bed of rose petals. In fact, I'm debating whether to return to HS2 until HS3 z-wave becomes more robust. It appears that HS3 corrupted my multi-z-troller setup that I had working under HS2, and now I'm not sure I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again or whether I have to startover from scratch, which would take a lot of time.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                            ... Pity though that those of us that cannot switch to HS3, for what ever reason, are just being discarded after the investment and support that has been given since HS1.
                            ... Rant over, pity HST have chosen to abandon HS2 and 1 users for the sake of the greater thing.
                            Not just one user Gogs, not just one ...
                            -Skybolt

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                              Do the Zee and HS2 actually communicate with respect to Z-wave?

                              FWIW, I didn't find z-wave in HS3 to be a bed of rose petals. In fact, I'm debating whether to return to HS2 until HS3 z-wave becomes more robust. It appears that HS3 corrupted my multi-z-troller setup that I had working under HS2, and now I'm not sure I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again or whether I have to startover from scratch, which would take a lot of time.
                              They do not communicate with respect to Z-Wave. I am using scripts and other things to try to link them over ethernet. When a status of something changes in the Zee, it fires that information to the HS2 machine (could be HS3...but I am using HS2 on my server for the moment...have my HS3 license, but things are stable right now...). I removed ALL z-wave stuff from my HS2 and it is acting as if there is no z-wave in it. I moved ALL Z-Wave features and functions to the Zee.

                              --Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X