Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I set the status of the Cooper Aspire RF9501 switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I set the status of the Cooper Aspire RF9501 switch?

I'm hoping someone can help me with a challenge...

I have Cooper Aspire RF9501 Z-wave switches. (I also have other switches, but I can control those, so my problem is only with the RF9501)

A single switch works fine. When I turn on a RF9501, the HomeSeer sees the change of status and responds appropriately.

My problem comes in when I try and use two RF9501 switches (like in a 3-way arrangement).

One switch can turn on the lights. But the other switch does not reflect the status of the light. I can turn that other switch on, then off, and the other switch will turn off the lights (that is, the HomeSeer detects the "On to Off" transition and turns the lights off).

What I would like to do, is have the HomeSeer set the status of the other RF9501 switch when the status of the other switch is changed.

That all said, does anyone know how to set the status of the RF9501 from the HomeSeer software?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help with this problem (I hope it is easy, and I'm just over looking something).

The simplest thing you can do is build event that matches that state of secondary switch when first switch changes (without scripting you will need two events, one for 1st-changed-to-on, another for 1st-changed-to-off).

This will create 3-way thru HS and keep secondary matching.

Based on your description it seems like you already have reverse events setup (2nd-changed-to-on/off -> set 1st to on/off).

Note that your current configuration depends on HS and can have delay and won't work if your HS is down. That is why z-wave supports direct association. You can associate 2 switches together AND with HS and they will keep in sync and HS up to date. On top of that you need some events to keep both HS nodes in sync. It is more complex but faster/reliable and works as 3way even w/ HS down.

Comment

Thank you for your response... And I agree with your advice. In fact, I was able to program a 3-way set up with my ASPIRE RFWC5WS 5-BUTTON SCENE CONTROL switches doing exactly that...

I set up four events... (Using 'button 1' of switches labeled 'mid-entry' and 'right')
      1) for when the mid-entry switch turns on
      2) for when the mid-entry switch turns off
      3) for when the right switch turns on
      4) for when the right switch turns off

Here is an example of the working code:

My problem seems to be trying to set status of the RF9501.
      It is not showing up as a device that I can set the status of.

The RF9501 switches show up in the "This device changes and becomes..." list, but not in the "Control a device" list.

Am I trying to set the status of the RF9501 switches the wrong way? (It works for the RFWC5WS 5-BUTTON switch)
      Do I need to control the RF9501 through scripting, and if so, how?

I'm new to the HomeSeer programming, but I hope to learn quickly.

My house has 100 Philips Hue lightbulbs (on two hubs), and dozens of RGB lighting strips. I have about 80 Z-wave light switches (both RF9501 and RFWC5WS). I'm running everything though my HomeSeer controller (and yes, if the HomeSeer is down, I can't control anything.)

I have quite the programming challenge in front of me. I'm hoping to do more than 'just' turn a light on or off. For example, after going to bed, late at night when I get up and turn a light on, the system will know to turn it on at 10% instead of full brightness. For those late night trips to the kitchen...

Also, I have proximity sensors that I would like to use to detect movement and automatically turn lights on accordingly.

But that all is for later, for now, I'm just trying to get the 3-way control working with the RF9501 switches.

Thanks,
      Brett

Comment

Hi Brett - I don't have HS3 but in HS2 I don't set device status, I simply turn on the device using device command.

But is also seems you didn't associate switches with each other - if you did then turning one on/off should immediately (without HS interventions) turn on/off the other. The problem will be status in HS since z-wave controlled device (thru association in your case) won't report back status change. That is why I poll on device change. See attached pic and script with gory details.

Sub Main(ByVal Parm As Object)
        Dim Parameters () As String
        Dim Source As String
        Dim Destination As String
        Dim MessageID As String
        MessageID = "INFO: switch match"
        ' Split input on comma to get source/destination
        '
        Parameters = Split(Parm.ToString,",")
        Source = Parameters(0)
        Destination = Parameters(1)
        '0 = All Units Off
        '2 = ON
        '3 = OFF
        '4 = DIM
        ' Match source/destination status
        ' Assumes both use 2/3 for ON/OFF state
        ' and both are simple binary switches
        '
        ' Skip sending command if destination already matches
        ' - hopefully this reduces number of Z-wave commands on the
        ' network and risk of infinite loops :-)
        '
        'hs.WriteLog (MessageID, "Status of Source is: " & hs.DeviceStatus(Source) & " Status of Destination is: " & hs.DeviceStatus(Destination))
        If hs.DeviceStatus(Source) = 2 And hs.DeviceStatus(Destination) <> 2
        hs.Transmit(Destination,"ON")
        hs.WriteLog (MessageID, "Matched Destination to Source on Source=2")
        Else If hs.DeviceStatus(Source) = 3 And hs.DeviceStatus(Destination) <> 3
        hs.Transmit(Destination,"OFF")
        hs.WriteLog (MessageID, "Matched Destination to Source on Source=3")
        Else If hs.DeviceStatus(Source) <> 2 AND hs.DeviceStatus(Source) <> 3
        hs.WriteLog (MessageID & " ERROR", "Status of Source" & Source & "is neither 2 nor 3 but: " & hs.DeviceStatus(Source))
        End If

End Sub
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much, but...

I need a bit more context and background. (So I can understand what I'm doing)
          Forgive me, I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, but I still need to get my head wrapped around all this...

First, if association is done outside of HomeSeer, how do I associate devices?

Can I associate 'just' RF9501 switches with each other? I was led to believe that to associate them, that I needed another device - an accessory switch (RF9517). Can RF9501 switches be associated with each other without using that switch?

So, if I understand your script and pic...
          When a device changes state, you are polling and then tell other (3-Way) devices to match the state of the device that just changed.

I get the algorithm concept...

I'm still struggling to change the status (or as you say, "turn on the device") of the RF9501 switch from HomeSeer (HS3).

I can do that with the 5-Button scene controller, but I still can not see the RF9501 from the HomeSeer software. Can setting the RF9501 only be done by scripting?

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure my questions sound simple. But I'm trying to pick this up as quick as possible. I hope to someday be able to give back by explaining what I've done (once I get it done).

Comment

It seems that I can read and set the status of the RF9501, it turns out it was the RF9517 that I can not see or control from the HomeSeer.

Has anyone had any luck setting the RF9517 status indicator from the HomeSeer software?

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbrey View Post
              Thank you very much, but...

First, if association is done outside of HomeSeer, how do I associate devices?
              I use HS to associate two devices as shows in the clipping. If you have different primary controller then I am not sure how to do that and have it be used by HS. I would suggest you use HS to set association.

Can I associate 'just' RF9501 switches with each other? I was led to believe that to associate them, that I needed another device - an accessory switch (RF9517). Can RF9501 switches be associated with each other without using that switch?
              You can associate RF9501 with another one if you want both lights to go on/off at the same time. For 3 way system you probably want to use 9517(accessory) and associate that one with 9501(main).

So, if I understand your script and pic...
              When a device changes state, you are polling and then tell other (3-Way) devices to match the state of the device that just changed.

I get the algorithm concept...
              Yes that is correct.

I'm still struggling to change the status (or as you say, "turn on the device") of the RF9501 switch from HomeSeer (HS3).
              To change status of 9517 you simply send it ON or OFF command. Just as if was 9501. You don't need to use z-wave indicator command. That is why my script does.

Comment

It seems that I can read and set the status of the RF9501, it turns out it was the RF9517 that I can not see or control from the HomeSeer.

Has anyone had any luck setting the RF9517 status indicator from the HomeSeer software?
                Yes you simply send it ON command. It should look the same and have same commands as 9501. My script uses simple ON/OFF as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
                  Yes you simply send it ON command. It should look the same and have same commands as 9501. My script uses simple ON/OFF as well.
                  Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been traveling...

It seems that I have misspoke. I can make it work for the RF9501, but I can not get it to work for the RF9517 switch. That seems to be the switch I'm actually having trouble setting.

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been traveling...

It seems that I have misspoke. I can make it work for the RF9501, but I can not get it to work for the RF9517 switch. That seems to be the switch I'm actually having trouble setting.
                    As mentioned above it should work for either. What part is not working/different for 9517?

Comment

As mentioned above it should work for either. What part is not working/different for 9517?
                      It seems that I can set the status of the RF9501 and that works fine. And I can do that from the "Event" menu...

I can not see the RF9517 devices when trying to set them.

I have not tried using a script yet. I do not understand that level of the Homeseer yet. (If you can point to a good tutorial for me to understand scripting, that would be appreciated.)

Thanks

Comment

I don't have any good references for scripting ... I cobbled it together

WRT 9517 you might not be able to change status from even but you should be able to send it z-wave indicator "on/off" command. I think in HS3 they removed direct command and you have to scroll to the bottom of the command list and use z-wave command.

Comment

I don't have any good references for scripting ... I cobbled it together

WRT 9517 you might not be able to change status from even but you should be able to send it z-wave indicator "on/off" command. I think in HS3 they removed direct command and you have to scroll to the bottom of the command list and use z-wave command.
                          I 'think' I tried the Z-wave command. I'll have to look when I get back...
                          (I'm traveling for the next few weeks...)

Thanks!

Comment

I was able to use setting a Z-wave action to get this to work.

From this thread...

Comment

Working...
                            X