A "radar" Style Occupancy Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This company, in Norway, has developed a chip that might some day replace PIR(passive infared) detectors in our current motion sensors and solve the nagging problem of "occupancy" detection(when sitting still they can't detect small motions). They seem to be consumer oriented, but does anyone know if our HA sensor manufacturers are aware???
    BobSpen

https://www.xethru.com/content/technology-0

I am very impressed with what I have read on their website. Here use occupancy sensors on the ceiling. They do so so but too not utilized a whole bunch.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I don't get the fuss over PIRs for occupancy. Just set the timers to 30 or more minutes and you are golden. In rooms where you might sit and work longer than that, use a proper ultrasonic, or do what I do, and put a supplemental x10 motion under the desk. Nobody is so dead still to avoid setting one of those off after a half hour (and if you are, then it is a bad health habit and you might get a blood clot some day). Most people shift their legs slightly every so often.

If using radar like technology, I want it good enough to detect the fluctuations of the existing wifi signals, from objects and people in the house. I read about this sort of technology a while back, where 2 or more receivers could use this to map out everything within a structure. Very cool stuff.
      Last edited by Automated; December 5, 2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah here have wired occupancy and PIR's connected to my Leviton HAI OPII panel.

That said use of any automation relating to lighting with configured occupancy sensors was way low on the WAF such that its been disabled.

Thinking the whole world of this stuff is changing and it is fun to play with. I could see triangulation of warm bodies in rooms using a variety of technologies would be fun. That said for commercial environments mostly and playtime for home environments (or those into using cloud based automation applications). 2-3 Kinect devices in one room could / can do this stuff already.
        Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2014, 10:43 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X