X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Only 3-4 test Z-Wave devices.

I do not utilize Z-Wave as a primary protocol for my lighting.

Rather UPB / X10 and HAI plugin stuff plus some scripts.

It ran faster than the RPi running HS3 Pro.

The NVR box above is Arm based and will do multiple streams of IP HD cams plus recordings. It is $50.

You really didnt test what people are saying where high cpu usage and crashing is occurring. So it may be the fux HS needs or maybe not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup; here have helped folks running HS3 on their Hometrollers running XPe have seen them scramble the Z-Wave database more than once.

The Z-Wave plugin running in Homeseer 3 on the Hometroller S2 (Via 1Ghz / 1Gb RAM) brings Homeseer 3 to a crawl. (for me)

Other HS3 users running HS3 Lite on the RPI do well with over 30 Z-Wave clients. Note that the RPI is running at 700Mhz.

It runs much quicker using Ubuntu without a gui and accessing HS3 via a GUI on another PC.

This was my point (and DIY) relating to upgrading the older Hometrollers with Ubuntu to run Homeseer 3 off a 16Gb DOM.

IE: switch over one of your Hometrollers to Ubuntu/Homeseer 3. Its an easy install. Just plug in a new DOM and install Ubuntu server on it and try it yourself.
      Last edited by Pete; December 28, 2014, 09:32 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The Hometroller 6 comes with W7e.

Comment

Are you saying you have a Hometroller 6 with W7e on it and it runs slow for you?
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yup; here have helped folks running HS3 on their Hometrollers running XPe have seen them scramble the Z-Wave database more than once.

The Z-Wave plugin running in Homeseer 3 on the Hometroller S2 (Via 1Ghz / 1Gb RAM) brings Homeseer 3 to a crawl. (for me)

Other HS3 users running HS3 Lite on the RPI do well with over 30 Z-Wave clients. Note that the RPI is running at 700Mhz.

It runs much quicker using Ubuntu without a gui and accessing HS3 via a GUI on another PC.

This was my point (and DIY) relating to upgrading the older Hometrollers with Ubuntu to run Homeseer 3 off a 16Gb DOM.

IE: switch over one of your Hometrollers to Ubuntu/Homeseer 3. Its an easy install. Just plug in a new DOM and install Ubuntu server on it and try it yourself.

So as we said the Honetrollers are underpowered and slow down and crash from high CPU usage etc. I have paperweights that cost a lot of money. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you saying you have a Hometroller 6 with W7e on it and it runs slow for you?
              No, it runs great so far.

As a side, I have to say that I was a big fan of XP in its day but have had enough of it. W7 has its issues but it's far better. I haven't used W8 much and probably won't have to since W10 will be out shortly.

- Robert

Comment

So as we said the Hometrollers are underpowered and slow down and crash from high CPU usage etc. I have paperweights that cost a lot of money. Never again.
                Yup the original Hometrollers for HS2 using XPe did fine.

The legacy Hometrollers with XPe will not satisfy most users trying to run Homeseer 3 on them.

My point here was relating to using Ubuntu on a legacy Hometroller for running Homeseer 3 and not getting turned off by Homeseer 3 running it on a legacy XPe Hometroller.

This is sort of relating to my DIY build of a new Homeseer 3 box that runs either Wintel / Ubuntu Homeseer 3 and why I am going with a 4th generation Intel CPU.

I don't want the box just to run Homeseer 3 in a minimalist set up.

Rather I want it to be able to handle as much or more than what my Homeseer 2 box is doing today in Wintel 32bit in new Wintel 64 bit or Linux 64bit.
                Last edited by Pete; December 28, 2014, 10:49 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yup the original Hometrollers for HS2 using XPe did fine.

The legacy Hometrollers with XPe will not satisfy most users trying to run Homeseer 3 on them.

My point here was relating to using Ubuntu on a legacy Hometroller for running Homeseer 3 and not getting turned off by Homeseer 3 running it on a legacy XPe Hometroller.

This is sort of relating to my DIY build of a new Homeseer 3 box that runs either Wintel / Ubuntu Homeseer 3 and why I am going with a 4th generation Intel CPU.

I don't want the box just to run Homeseer 3 in a minimalist set up.

Rather I want it to be able to handle as much or more than what my Homeseer 2 box is doing today in Wintel 32bit in new Wintel 64 bit or Linux 64bit.

I bought the second Hometroller in 2013 AFTER HS3 was released. It was supposed to be capable of running HS3 since it is an S4 (per HS posts at the time). Well its not as we found out. So that was a huge waste of money because i listened to HS at the time. Thousands wasted between TWO Hometrollers, multiple HS lic, Ztroller, HS inwall touchscreens, various plug ins etc. It all sits on a shelf. You cant get more than $100 or so fir a Honetroller that cost 10 times that 18 months ago because everyone knows what the problem is.

If you fixed works why didnt HS switch to that operating system on the Hometrollers? They replaced the SSD drive and it had the same problems. No scripts, never got more than 15 or so events. A very small system. CPU pegs and crash and burn. Emailed screenshits to HS and no answer months ago other than please stop telling people about it this makes us look bad. I guess they figure they ignore me long enough I will give up because they cant fix it other than sell me another $1000 hometroller. Fooled me twice already with Hometrollers. Not going to bite again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah here initially tested Homeseer 3 on XP running on an Atom D525 and it works OK but not really fast.

You can just swap out (well and keep) your S4 SSD and put in a little 16Gb SSD and put Ubuntu on it.

You can make a USB boot install Ubuntu Server stick in a few minutes then install Homeseer 3 on it.

I can walk you through those steps; its about 30 minutes or so.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah here initially tested Homeseer 3 on XP running on an Atom D525 and it works OK but not really fast.

You can just swap out (well and keep) your S4 SSD and put in a little 16Gb SSD and put Ubuntu on it.

You can make a USB boot install Ubuntu Server stick in a few minutes then install Homeseer 3 on it.

I can walk you through those steps; its about 30 minutes or so.
                      Pete,

Are you saying that HS3 will NOT work well on the Hometrollers?
                      Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                        Pete,

Not to discount Pete's and others' experiences, but I run HS3 on a similar hardware platform as the newer HomeTrollers and it works fine. I'm using a lot of plugins as well. I will likely go to a faster box in the next year or so as this system is almost 5 years old now. I had 1 GB of memory until very recently and now am at 2 GB which is the max for my motherboard. What are the specs on the S3?

Cheers
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

No.

I am saying that Homeseer 3 for Windows will not work well on a Hometroller S2 with xPE on it. (S2 is a Via 1.0 Ghz / 1Mb of RAM machine).

Just yesterday did install a 16Gb SSD DOM in one with an original 4 Gb DOM. Homeseer 2 ran much faster after that.

Homeseer 3 ran fine in Ubuntu 14.04 server on the Hometroller S2. I started to write about this. I didn't see much interest in running Ubuntu on the Hometroller S2.

Googling the Hometroller S3:

HomeSeer S3 offers a fanless, diskless design, but the new version packs a much faster processor (Intel’s 1.6GHz Atom replaces the VIA 1.0 GHz CPU).

It will chug. (not choke on HS3).

Guessing here it's an Atom N270 (1.60 Ghz, 533, Mhz FSB). It has a single core.

Here my Homeseer box #2 is based on an Atom D525 with 4Gb of RAM.

I did actually test HS3 Pro on this box; then went to using another one which wasn't running anything else (IE: Atom D525 / 4Gb).

It runs slow for me running XP SP3. I did shut off the box. I will install Windows 8.1 64bit and give it another try. (already tried Windows Server 64 bit and it was a bit slow running this).

Just a quickie review of the Hometroller Series. Guesstimating here some.

S-1 - Hometroller HT-SE-PRO / SE3 - 1Ghz Via C7 single Core CPU / 1Gb RAM / 4Gb DOM OS XPe

S-2 1Ghz Via 1 Core CPU / 1Gb RAM / 4Gb DOM OS XPe

S-3 Atom 230/270 1.6 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 1 cores / 1Gb RAM / 4Gb DOM OS XPe

S-4 Atom 330 1.6 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 2 cores / 1Gb RAM / 32Gb SSD OS XPe

S-5 PRO-100-S5 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1Gb RAM / 32Gb SSD OS XPe

Hometroller Zee - Arm 700Mhz 512Mb RAM / 4Gb SD / OS Linux

HomeTroller-SEL - Intel Celeron (1.58 Ghz) Dual-Core with 1 MB Cache / 2Gb RAM / 32Gb SSD / OS Linux HSTouch Lite

HomeTroller-Pro - Intel Celeron (1.58 Ghz) Dual-Core with 1 MB Cache / 2Gb RAM / 32Gb SSD / OS Linux HSTouch Standard

S-6 - Intel Celeron processor (1.8 GHz) 2 GB RAM / 32Gb SSD OS W7e - HSTouch Lite

S-6 - Pro - Intel Celeron processor (1.8 GHz) 2 GB RAM / 32Gb SSD OS W7e - HSTouch Standard

Last edited by Pete; December 31, 2014, 01:48 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            The unit does not have an Ethernet connector so that would have to be added, which will increase the cost.

The idea here is to offer something at the lowest cost possible. There are a ton of wall mounts for iPads, some magnetic, so that is already available, but it will cost twice as much as this unit.

We need at least 100 users interested to be able to do this, but maybe the desktop form factor solves most needs. Personally, I find that 7" is just too small to display all the information I want to see at a glance.
                            Rich, the wall mount does not concern me, there are way round that for that, however, lack of Ethernet does worry me, how to connect? WiFi, not a good solution.

I would be very interested, if you could sort out your oversees shipping charges as they are generally the same as the unit! Put me in as at least 100 users, erm, dare I say this, but, it would have to be HS2 and 3 compatible. Easy I suppose just retro install the HSTouch software you require.
                            sigpic
                            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                            X