Christmas lights ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas lights ???

I was so happy to finally get my new led outside lights up this weekend and until I hooked them up. It seems that most appliance modules these days are not relay driven at all. When I tried to switch off the lights with either X10 or Insteon appliance modules the lights don't turn off, they just dim for the most part ???

What is everyone else doing, or is this a new problem just for me
    -Skybolt

Usually a resistive load in parallel with the LEDs solves the problem. A 4 watt night light, for instance. Anything to allow the trickle current running the module to bypass the LEDs.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I am still using both incandescent and LED connecting multiple strings to outdoor old X-10 Firewire switches.

The mixture allows the shutoff of the lights with the appliance module.

I have though thrown out every LED set purchased every year at the end of the holiday season for the last few years.

The newest 300 LED net lights that I am using have the LEDs almost integrated into the wires which I like and the controller has a memory this year.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        ... I have though thrown out every LED set purchased every year at the end of the holiday season for the last few years. ...
        Why? There expensive, or relatively so anyway.
        -Skybolt

Comment

I have typically installed them around Thanksgiving and they have literally fallen apart or eaten by New Years. Mostly been just big box whatever is on sale purchases. (cheap).

I still install old style C9's outside too. These are getting harder to find and a real PITA to install. I have been able to purchase sets for use of spare bulbs.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

yeah, actually the leds that I bought are C9's and C5's HD specials, but not bad they are supper bright and have color controllers built in (all white or multicolor). I would have thought they drew enough to be turned off ...
            -Skybolt

Comment

I have 3 or 4 led c9 strings plugged in to an insteon outietlinc with no problems. Must be enough of them to create enough resistance
              HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

The new 300 LED net lights I purchased are each on one X10 switch.

The controller this year has memory such that it remembers whatever setting I use.

I might keep them if they do well.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  I have typically installed them around Thanksgiving and they have literally fallen apart or eaten by New Years. Mostly been just big box whatever is on sale purchases. (cheap).

I still install old style C9's outside too. These are getting harder to find and a real PITA to install. I have been able to purchase sets for use of spare bulbs.
                  Wow, I am shocked. I have around 20 strands of LED icicle lights on my house. This is their 4th year in use and they still look great and are working well. I got them on sale at Wal-Mart after Christmas one year.
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    Usually a resistive load in parallel with the LEDs solves the problem. A 4 watt night light, for instance. Anything to allow the trickle current running the module to bypass the LEDs.
                    I missed your post, that did the trick. Literally a 15w night light that had a pass-through plug did it.
                    -Skybolt

Comment

You can tell that you've put up too many outdoor lights (and have a house with poor circuit distribution), when you have to give your wife a HomeSeer button to turn off the lights before she uses her hair dryer
                      cheeryfool

Comment

I have been using Simply UMA20 (has a real relay output).This year I went to a weather proof box instead of zip lock bags for weather proofing and switched to Simply UFR (Fixture Relay Module). Both work great and are relay modules.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                        X