My eyes suck - need something to see better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eyes suck - need something to see better

Hi folks, I'm noticing that my eyes are getting worse and worse as I get older. I was trying to solder some wires to a 1 wire device on saturday and was all one tiny blur... that's with my glasses on!

Do any of you have any recommendations for loupes or some time of magnifying device to help with this?

thanks!

signed,
    sucks to get old
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

You can always use the circular fluorescent light with the magnified lense in the center.
    Something like one of these works well...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=magni...ml%3B300%3B300
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Are you looking for something like this?
      http://www.pjtool.com/helping-hands-...g-station.aspx
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

They both look like they would be great for soldering. I'd almost rather have something I can wear though as sometimes i need to read part numbers on small parts in the garage or punching cable in the network closet.
        HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Yeah here do not utilize reading glasses and rest my glasses on my forehead to see. Doing this for a while as I am older these days have created a permanent resting ledge on my forehead.

Here do have a very old (looks to be from the 60's having that bakelite look) circular fluorescent lamp with a glass lens on it that sits on my hobby workbench.

Those new fangled LED lights / with magnifying lens would probably work for you.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
          Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Superfocus glasses work pretty well, but they come only with round lenses and there aren't many styles to chose from. They're variable focus for everyday all-the-time use, and they could probably handle the scenarios you listed.

Comment

Funny, I too have this issue. My arms are simply getting too short to read I found myself this weekend putting on two pair of readers when doing some close up work. This actually works well in a pinch.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

I have a few of the visors like Pete posted, each with different power lenses and the led lights around the perimeter. They work fantastic and I use them all the time when working with smd circuit boards and other projects. Head over to Amazon and grab one.

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'll take the shotgun approach, SO is getting the round lit articulated device for me for xmas and I'll try out one of the wearables too.

Comment

If you wear progressive lenses.... they can move the "sweet spot" up, giving you lenses appropriate for close-up work.... that is, if your eyes really DO suck and you have an astigmatism, like I do. Readers, no matter how many pair, no longer work.

It is expensive, but if you gotta see, you gotta see......

PS
                    If I didn't make it clear, the new set of glasses will lose the ability to "see" at a distance of over [depends on your prescription.]
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 4.2.6.0
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Desktop

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK Google Calendar 3.0.0.45,AK Smart Device 3.0.0.6,AK Weather 4.0.1.77,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big5 1.38.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.38.0,BLPlex 2.0.22.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.74,HSBuddy 3.25.614.1,mcsMQTT 5.21.4.1,MeiHarmonyHub 3.1.0.22,NetCAM 3.0.0.14,PHLocation 3.0.1.109,Restart 1.0.0.7,SDJ-Health 3.1.0.3,SDJ-VStat 3.1.0.7,TPLinkSmartHome 19.10.7.1,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraSighthoundVideo3 3.0.5960.36744,,Z-Wave 3.0.2.0

Comment

Yeah here have been playing a bit with smd stuff such that I use the magnifying glass lamp, little hands, hot air machine and soldering device.

This are pictures of the Openpeak Atom based tabletop capacitance touchscreen circuit board. (with DECT and Zigbee)

Last edited by Pete; December 16, 2014, 12:32 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
                      Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
                      HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm with you guys. Can't see sh#t.

Where did you find these?

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                        I have a few of the visors like Pete posted, each with different power lenses and the led lights around the perimeter. They work fantastic and I use them all the time when working with smd circuit boards and other projects. Head over to Amazon and grab one.
                        Last edited by donstephens; December 16, 2014, 12:31 PM. Reason: Can't spell either
                        Don

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                          If you wear progressive lenses.... they can move the "sweet spot" up, giving you lenses appropriate for close-up work.... that is, if your eyes really DO suck and you have an astigmatism, like I do. Readers, no matter how many pair, no longer work.

It is expensive, but if you gotta see, you gotta see......

PS
                          If I didn't make it clear, the new set of glasses will lose the ability to "see" at a distance of over [depends on your prescription.]
                          I do wear progressive lenses and actually moved them in the other direction because they were driving me nuts during everyday wear. I too have an astigmatism and need something more substantial.

slightly off-topic buy apparently we're all growing old... lol

Comment

Working...
                          X