Forum Searching - How???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Searching - How???

I have not had great luck searching the forum with multiple terms. It seems no matter how I try it ends up with an OR between terms. Instead of finding posts with BOTH terms it finds any post with one or more of the terms. This results in lots of posts that are not related to what I am searching.

I have better luck with searching a sub-forum with the advanced search but it still seems to OR all of my search terms.

Beyond doing a Site Search with Google or other search engine is there a better search?

Thanks.

Google search is the best option
    ie "ti-103 site:board.homeseer.com"
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I noticed the same. I'm not sure but I think the hs forum search even picks up terms in peoples signature, or so it seemed at one time.
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

It is also best to arrange it this way:
        site:board.homeseer.com
        followed by words, phrases, etc.

If you are using the Google toolbar in IE just put the terms in the search box. If you are using Chrome, you can put the terms in the address bar.

If you follow the above with "social media" you will find posts that only contain that exact phrase.

If you follow the above without quotes social media you will find posts that contain either word.

If you follow the above without quotes and the "+" symbol social+media you will find posts that contain both words, but not necessarily together.

The list of search usage punctuation and symbols is here

Comment

Thks Randy for this helpful hint.
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

thank you. Searching here can be painful at times through the forums search setup.
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

This is an interesting problem. Here is another thread on the topic (which comes up regularly). That thread also has a link to a sticky on the subject.

Yes, there is a sticky. Of course, people who need it can't find it because they do not know how to search the board.

I think it would be interesting to compare the frequency of questions about searching the board with how to construct a time condition spanning midnight.

Rupp, maybe you could have a button to press that automatically generates a post referencing the thread with the best answer to these recurring questions.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X