Question re: basic motion detection / timing using virtual devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re: basic motion detection / timing using virtual devices

Hi guys, this is old hat to many of you, so I'm just hoping you can take a look at this and let me know if there's a better way I could be doing it.

Please note attached file. Basically, what was happening is this - I have a UPB I/O controller that senses NO/NC tied to a motion sensor. It also uses a momentary output to trigger the garage door opener as needed. What I am doing is simply sensing motion in the garage and turning on the UPB controlled garage overhead light upon occupancy.

The PROBLEM I was having was any time I'd go in the house, I'd hit the light switch to turn off the garage overhead light, and the simple act of closing the door would re-trigger the motion sensor and turn the light back on as I was closing the door. It was obviously frustrating and I looked like an idiot trying to close the door super stealthily as to avoid the motion detector ;-)

So I added a virtual device that could be ON or OFF, and on motion sense / garage light on, I check for an 'IF' the virtual device is set to ON. When I turn OFF the garage overhead light using the switch, I turn that device OFF for 15 seconds, then turn it back ON to prevent the rapid detection as I close the door.

I believe this is working as expected, but there is not a 3-4 second delay when you walk in the garage before HS3 triggers the light (I originally had the UPB UPStart software triggering the light to on as part of the I/O controller options, and obviously that was instant - but if I use the I/O controller's built in options, I cannot defeat it when turning the light off from the switch for 15-20 seconds or whatever.)

I'd appreciate anyone who could take a simple look at the attached image and maybe let me know if there's a better way to do this, or perhaps help understand why the delay. I expect a slight delay from HS3, but not as much as I'm seeing. Any other action I trigger on HS3 (from my 2x HS Tablets, for example) are instant.

Thank you! And sorry for the long-winded message.

Adam
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Adam12hicks View Post
    I believe this is working as expected, but there is not a 3-4 second delay when you walk in the garage before HS3 triggers the light
    I assume the phrase "there is not a 3-4 second delay" should be "there is now a 3-4 second delay".

One thought would be to make the event a priority event (under Options).

Another possibility is to have an event that looks at the timing of the light turning on and the garage door activation. That is, go back to your original configuration, let the light turn on when you close the door, but have an event to turn the light off again immediately if the garage door closes within x seconds of the light going on.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sorry about that! Yes I meant 'now'. Thank you for the ideas. I did not know there was a 'priority' option. I will definitely try that and see if it speeds things up.

I'm not worried about the garage overhead door... It's when I close the door coming in the house that the motion sensor picks up the door closing and turns the light back on. So I was trying to set a delay when turning the light off manually so that it cannot be triggered back on for long enough to get in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam12hicks View Post
        I'm not worried about the garage overhead door... It's when I close the door coming in the house that the motion sensor picks up the door closing and turns the light back on. So I was trying to set a delay when turning the light off manually so that it cannot be triggered back on for long enough to get in the house.
        So it's the house door that is triggering the light? I thought it was your hand moving to the overhead door control.

In any case, my second idea is to have HS turn the light back off if it senses the conditions that are causing the unwanted on signal - whatever they are.

Obviously, if making the motion trigger a priority event does the trick, then you are done, but if the response is still too slow, you may have to live with the light going on briefly when you close the garage door, but you can probably come up with logic that will cause HS to turn it back off in those cases. Not elegant for sure, but better than having the light on when no one is out there.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Or you could set the event to not turn the light on until it has been off for 20 seconds or so.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Another thought. Instead of turning the light off manually, what if you program it to go off if the door is closed and no motion has been detected for x amount of time. Where 'x' is long enough to avoid the light going off prematurely.

Comment

Working...
            X