Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a better way to control holiday lights *next* year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a better way to control holiday lights *next* year?

This year I did it by adding to my regular z-wave setup, and so I'll be taking those nodes out soon. I'll bllink, a year will have passed, and then I'll be putting them in again.

This year I made the mistake of buying these to control the lighting:

I bought them because they have great range (better than anything else z-wave that I've tried). Incredibly, though, they don't support "scenes", so they can't be controlled by z-wave alone without homeseer intermediating. Not the end of the world, but disappointing.

Originally I had envisioned having a separate z-wave system control them, but then it wasn't obvious how to have the static controllers in my main system control the lights.

Anyhow, seems like there should be a better/faster way to set it all up next time.
    Last edited by NeverDie; December 28, 2014, 03:07 PM.

I use X-10 modules for my holiday lighting. It's basically the only thing I still use X-10 PLC for. Quick and easy set-up and tear-down. Having said that, I am in the process of converting most of my outlets to z-wave outlets, so for next year, I may just use them to control the holiday lighting.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I'm new here so maybe I'm missing some basics. I put my circuit feeding my outdoor outlets on an intermatic 3750. I also have a couple of micro switches controlling some outdoor light fixtures (installed in the attic). Lights go on 30mins after sunset and off at midnight. I use an event. Why would you (or I) tear this down every year? What does a "scene" provide that the event is lacking?

Comment

I have 10 dedicated z-wave devices for Christmas that get packed up each year after the Holidays. I've tried several approaches over the years to save the events, node ID's, z-wave files, etc., for the following year - all to no solid, easy solution and a lot changes in a year.

In the end, I've found it easier to permanently label each device by name; "tree", "MBR window candle", "nativity", etc., then add those nodes into my Z-Wave network, write down the node ID and for each named device, create a group called Christmas, a couple of On/Off events for those nodes added to my existing sunset and retire events via the "run another event" and I'm done - about an hour of my time.

I know, it seems like more work, but actually, I've found it's a lot quicker than tinkering around with last year's idea's and solutions only to find that you don't quite remember what last years solution was.

Comment

Originally posted by Krameduoh View Post
          I've found it easier to permanently label each device by name; "tree", "MBR window candle", "nativity", etc., then add those nodes into my Z-Wave network, write down the node ID and for each named device, create a group called Christmas, a couple of On/Off events for those nodes added to my existing sunset and retire events via the "run
          another event" and I'm done - about an hour of my time.
          That's pretty much what I have done, although I only have a couple of devices. The only issue with that, is that when you optimize the network, it complains that it can't communicate with the z-wave devices that are packed away (fair enough), so what i do, is leave them plugged in down in the basement, then re-optimize the network when I pack things up, and then again when I take things back out. Seems to have worked well the last couple of years.

G

Comment

I replaced my outlets with the Z-Wave outlets where I wanted Z-Wave control of Christmas lights so they stay put permanently.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use the old X-10 Black and Decker Freewire outdoor switches and indoor X-10 appliance and light switches all set to the same house code; easy peasy no work involved.

I test that they all go on at once outside with an old X-10 palm pad. They do fine.

- Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Like Pete, I use x10 modules all on the same code. But I also have an outdoor outlet box controlled by an inline x10 module. That module is located in my electrical service panel. I also use in line modules to control my ceiling fans. I have found them to be extremely reliable. They are not as susceptible to interference by line noise.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                X