Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impedance matching volume controls or impedance matching speaker selector?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Impedance matching volume controls or impedance matching speaker selector?

    Guys,
    Is there an advantage either way using impedance matching volume controls or impedance matching speaker selector? I'm doing an upgrade of my 20 years old 2 channel receiver and was going to upgrade the other components as well.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    #2
    Hey Rupp,

    Typically impedance matching volume controls are mounted in a single gang box in the room or zone where they are to control the volume. basically you turn on your main amp at a reasonably high volume and then adjust the volume controls at each zone individually. So you could have the music quiet in one room and loud in another.

    An impedance matching speaker selector typically sits next to your amp and you can only turn zones on and off. Volume is adjusted at the amp and is the same for every zone.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
      Hey Rupp,

      Typically impedance matching volume controls are mounted in a single gang box in the room or zone where they are to control the volume. basically you turn on your main amp at a reasonably high volume and then adjust the volume controls at each zone individually. So you could have the music quiet in one room and loud in another.

      An impedance matching speaker selector typically sits next to your amp and you can only turn zones on and off. Volume is adjusted at the amp and is the same for every zone.
      Thanks for the reply. I understand the difference but my main question was the fact that I have an impedance matching speaker selector that doesn't have volume control and I have really old volume controls. I was trying to find new non-impedance matching ones but after reading a lot on this they hardly exist due to the inexpensive price of the impedance matching ones. I also learned that I can simply not modify the jumpers on the impedance matching controls which makes than non-impedance matching which is what I was after. Now I have to find good impedance matching volume controls and I believe I've settled on these.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        According to the directions for those volume controls setting the switch to X1 would essentially negate the impedance matching ability of the volume control and impedance matching would be done by your speaker selector. This would add complexity but would allow you to turn on and off speaker zones from a single location and adjust the volume locally at each zone.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
          According to the directions for those volume controls setting the switch to X1 would essentially negate the impedance matching ability of the volume control and impedance matching would be done by your speaker selector. This would add complexity but would allow you to turn on and off speaker zones from a single location and adjust the volume locally at each zone.
          Thanks for verifying. That's all I was after were newer volume controls.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Rupp, I use boxes similar to this PLUS remote volume controls.
            I balance all zones to the same loud level, then use the remote ones to further adjust each zone.
            http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-ps...trol--310-2110

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jay View Post
              Rupp, I use boxes similar to this PLUS remote volume controls.
              I balance all zones to the same loud level, then use the remote ones to further adjust each zone.
              http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-ps...trol--310-2110
              Hey Jay how's life on the east coast? Yes, I use a similar product from Niles. Mine just doesn't have the volume controls. I use the volume controls in the wall to adjust the sound. I just wanted to buy some newer volume controls as two of mine are broken. I recently (earlier this week) connected my new Sonos connect to my receiver and now have Sonos feeding my whole house built in speakers as well as my Play speakers. Works great.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                Life is good Rupp.
                Yes, Sonos is the way to go.
                When I moved here 5 years ago, we gutted the house and I ran dedicated wires everywhere.

                Comment


                  #9
                  You might be interested in this: http://www.parts-express.com/wired-h...white--182-872
                  -Skybolt

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X