No announcement yet.

Wink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am now controlling my Wink Hub directly from Homeseer utilizing an API I created

I have spent the better part of a week (unemployed at the moment and needed a challenge) hacking my Wink Hub and integrating it directly into my Homeseer system. I can now directly, and most importantly, locally control lights from Homeseer via the Wink Hub.

Local control without requiring cloud functionality was VERY important to me for a couple of reasons:
    1. Response speed
    2. Hiding from the NSA (kidding, but I don't want my data in the cloud for various reasons, not the least of which is security)

I am not totally independent from the cloud, as I have not yet built device additions functionality, control of devices other than lights, etc into my API.

I did accomplish fast response speeds. It takes less than a second for lights to switch on/off and for dimming commands to work, and it all happens over WIFI.

Missing from my project (for my purposes, that is):
    1. Status updates (light on/off and dim level) - this is somewhat functional, so long as all control happens via Homeseer / HSTouch; if I use the Wink App / cloud functionality, device status will be out of sync
    2. Addition, editing of lights
    3. ?

What I have done so far is very crude. It requires hacking the hub (rooting it) and firmware v2.49 (just released). However, WINK (Quirky) is slated to release the API to the general public. Once they have done that, I will re-visit this project and determine if this project is worth pursuing. If I determine that this project is worth pursuing, I MAY write a HS plugin. It would be written for HS2 first, then later for HS3.

Best,
    Frank

Comment

please keep us posted...

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
        please keep us posted...
        Will do.

Comment

I just got API access and have started to play with it. You can request a API access token through this web page:

https://home-assistant.io/components/wink/

Comment

@Quiksilver96 & @SimonMason -

Did you get further with Wink integration?

I just picked up LeakSmart water sensors at Home Depot for $18 (vs. $35 vs. even more$ for some z-wave ones). Also nabbed a Wink Hub, remembering that IFTTT works with it and with HS... or so I thought.

The Wink devices available to IFTTT are limited it seems, and I don't see any easy way to make [Leak detected] trigger HS3 to do things like TTS/Sounds/Lights etc. to alert of kids stuffing a toilet or leaving a bathtub on etc.

So I'm looking over any threads I can find and saw your mention of API work, wondered if you began work on a plugin or

Comment

Sorry - I didn't progress with the API. I managed to get enough functionality out of the IFTTT integration. Primarily because I am sending commands from Homeseer to the Wink only at present. This is not ideal but it works for my needs. For example, turning on the bedroom overhead light (zwave) triggers an IFTTT that turns on the lamps on our bed side tables - these are GE bulbs. Then I have the Lutron remotes on stands that I can use to turn these lights off individually when we go to bed.

However, I cannot report status of the Wink lights etc. to Homeseer. This would presumably involve work on the API.

Comment

Any progress on this??

I have a Wink Hub that is really sitting doing nothing at the moment. The Android interface is nice, though....

David

Comment

Working...
                X