Setting the status of a Cooper Z-Wave Aspire RF9501

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Cooper RF9517 accessory switch associated with a Cooper RF9501 switch. I just noticed that I can't poll the RF9517 - Status/Poll Devices doesn't poll it, and the dropdown in Event/Activity/ZWave Action/Poll a Node doesn't have the RF9517 in the device list.

I'm guessing that's what Supports Status=False means in the device's Additional Information...!

I'm asking as I want to sync the two devices' statuses in HS so both switches' ON/OFF icons are the same and reflect the actual status of the controlled light. By default the RF9517 status icon doesn't change when I click on the RF9501 - I'm getting around this now by using events to sync the status icons, but forcing a poll would be more graceful.
    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

This switch is an RF only switch that controls a RF9501 so you should be polling that switch to get the status of the "group" and then use that to set the status.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry, my question was not clear.
      The RF9501 already auto-updates so I always have the latest status in HS without polling it. My question is how do I have my RF9517 status in HomeSeer updated to reflect the same status as the RF9501? I can't poll the RF9517 and it doesn't change its on/off status in HS when I switch on/off the RF9501. The RF9517 only changes status in HS when I switch it on/off myself. Do you see what I mean?
      (The switched light works just fine, I'm just concerned about the visible status in HS of the RF9517).
      Thanks.
      All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

I asked a more complex problem in THIS thread. And I believe that I have solved the more complex problem (the 3-way issue).

But, I still have not solved the 'simpler' problem of just "setting" the status of a Cooper Z-Wave Aspire RF9501 switch.

I'm just hoping that someone can tell me how to set the status of the switch from the Homeseer software.

All I want to do is set the switch to ON or OFF. That is, from the HomeSeer software, set the ON or OFF status of the switch. (And by doing so, controlling the status LED as well.)

Now, I can set the status just fine for the Cooper Z-Wave Aspire RFWC5SG - 5 scene controller.

But for some reason, I can't do the same for the RF9501 switch.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what simple thing I'm missing to be able to set the status on the RF9501.

Any help would be appreciated.
        Thanks,

Comment

A further note on this...

I seem to be able to set the "Z-Wave Switch Binary" but not the "Z-Wave Remote Switch" and they look like the same single button switch.

I may be dealing with two different types of switches... Is there an easy definitive way (without pulling the switch out of the junction box) to tell which switch it is that I'm dealing with?

Because I also seem to be able to set the status of the "Binary" switch (as well as the 5 scene switch), but still not the "Remote" switch.

Isn't this suppose to be easy???
          Sigh...

Thanks for any help,

Comment

I'm having the same issue. That is, reading, or setting, the status of the RF9517.

Has anyone been able to solve this problem from a HomeSeer controller?

Thanks

Comment

Well, I found out my first problem... The units I'm having problems setting the status indicator of is the RF9517.

It turns out that I can control the RF9501.

There was some confusion on my part about the actual part as we ordered.

I have:
              - 20 RF9501
              - 35 RF9517
              - 20 RFWC5

I had mixed up the RF9501 with the RF9517 (they look the same on the wall...)

Has anyone had any luck setting the RF9517 status indicator from the HomeSeer software?

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbrey View Post

Now, I can set the status just fine for the Cooper Z-Wave Aspire RFWC5SG - 5 scene controller.
                As long as you're on the topic, just how did you do it? I have a number of these installed, and I'd very much like to know how to control the status indicator LED's so that buttons on different keypads that control the same scene can keep their indicator LED's in-sync. I've read it can be done, but I never found where anyone said how to do it.

Comment

This way works for me. Not sure if its the best way or not... you would change your trigger to be on whatever scene becoming active.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                    As long as you're on the topic, just how did you do it? I have a number of these installed, and I'd very much like to know how to control the status indicator LED's so that buttons on different keypads that control the same scene can keep their indicator LED's in-sync. I've read it can be done, but I never found where anyone said how to do it.
                    For the 5 Scene controller and for the RF9501 binary switch, when you create an event, you select:
                    "Control a Device"

Then you select the device you want to change the status of (i.e. button 1 for example)

Then you select "Scene On" or "Scene Off" and that will turn on or off the LED status indicator for that button.

This works for the RF9501 and the 5 Scene controller

And that is what is not working for me on the other Z-wave Switch (the RF9517).

Comment

I haven't looked into it (yet), but I'll toss this into the brainstorm as maybe a possibility: perhaps there's a programmatic way to set parameters on a switch, such as the one you're struggling with? At least manually, I get the impression that setting parameters is one avenue for getting fine grained control over a z-wave device (e.g. setting the ramp rate on a dimmer). Beneath the surface I would guess that's how HS might be doing it, or would try to do it if it isn't already. However, you'd need to know (or find out) which parameter to toggle to affect the indicator LED. Is it known whether there's a parameter for that?

Comment

As you can see I never got another response so what I stayed with was a workaround by creating 4 events to synchronize the 9501/9517 on/off indicators in HS2. Basically:
                        1. If 9501 changes status to off and 9517 is on, switch 9517 off
                        2. If 9501 changes status to on and 9517 is off, switch 9517 on
                        3. If 9517 changes status to off and 9501 is on, switch 9501 off
                        4. If 9517 changes status to on and 9501 is off switch 9501 on

Probably better ways to do this, but this has worked fine for me for the last 4+ years...
                        (I didn't know about being able to use 'Run script: &hs.PollDevice "Q7" ' in an event when I started the post so that may have worked, but as a policy I try to have minimum polling so I may have not used it anyway).

Comment

NeverDie,

Yes, there is a known parameter, but I'm not skilled yet with scripting.

(If someone wanted to give me a simple scripting example, or point me to a tutorial. I could come up to speed on it very quickly...)

I'm worried that the switches I have are one way, that is, I can change their status by turning them on or off physically, but they are 'read only'.

Does anyone know if an RF9517 can be 'set' from the HomeSeer??
                          (Sometimes knowing it can be done is half the battle.)

Comment

Orbit,

How are you 'setting' the status of the RF9517 ??

I agree with your logic, and came to the same 4 events that you did.

My problem is that I'm missing how to set the status of the RF9517. What means do you use to do that?

I'm not sure about the scripting stuff yet... Hopefully that is the next thing I learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbrey View Post

Yes, there is a known parameter, but I'm not skilled yet with scripting.

)
                              Which parameter is it?

I subsequently learned (here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ight=parameter) setting parameters with scripting was never implemented. If you add your name to the list, maybe it will be in the future.

However, if the parameter can be set manually, as you say it can be, then there should be other means of doing it programmatically, just not from HS at the current time..

Comment

Working...
                              X