itunes and windows media player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itunes and windows media player

Since HS3 doesn't support windows media player in HST I've loaded iTunes to try and get the music browser functionality back on my touch screens.

My question is can they both access the same shared music library without screwing each other up. I have update info from the internet turned off in iTunes because I've spent a lot of time getting album art etc.. correct in media player. However in iTunes a lot of that art is missing. I'm concerned that if I enable get info from the internet that it will over write all the work I've done using media player.

Keep in mind I know nothing about apple products.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

I'm not using either on hstouch, but believe you're correct about this. I've been using squeezebox on my hstouch clients, but the two aren't interconnected.

I came across a discussion about a while back. Seems you may need to give itunes the primary role and wmp a secondary.
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7255

"
    Getting iTunes & Windows Media Player to play nicely
    Short version

If you want WMP & iTunes to live in harmony then disable WMP's options for updating or reorganising media, then tell it that its Rip Folder is the same as your iTunes Media\Music folder. Move anything you want to add into iTunes either into the Automatically add to iTunes folder, assuming you are happy letting iTunes organise things, otherwise place them where you want, but inside the iTunes Media folder. If you are letting iTunes Keep the iTunes Media folder organised then WMP will work out when iTunes has moved something, but the reverse is not the case. WMP will also detect and add compatible (non-AAC) files that have been ripped or downloaded using iTunes, unless you tell it not to of course. If you want to automatically add compatible (non-WMA) files created by WMP into iTunes use iTunes Folder Watch or manually re-add the iTunes Media folder . You should probably settle on .mp3 as your default media format so that the same audio files can be used in either player without unnecessary duplication of files. Choose a bitrate that gives you good enough quality, probably 256k or above. N.b. Most video formats will only work in one of the two media players."

If you have to recreate the art work on itunes check out http://www.muvenum.com/products/muvundercover/
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

You can set up shared music libraries in iTunes I ran it at the house for years. Share the folder where your library is stored across the network and open iTunes while holding shift. It will ask you to browse for the library file, find it and the folder across the network. Also iTunes supports remote libraries. You might want to look at Spud's plugin through, it would allow you a central iTunes server that could stream to airplay receivers (which I am currently running at the house) You lose individual track control per room but gain simplicity.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a lot of local bands cd's and unique stuff that I had to manually add cover art and track info for so I'm not really willing to let iTunes (a program I'm not familiar with) have it's way with my data. So I'm going to make a copy of all my music and put it right on my homeseer machine and let iTunes have it's way with the copy. I'll just have to figure out how to keep iTunes out of the shared folder.

Again thanks for the insight.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Working...
        X