Heath Zenith Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heath Zenith Technology

I have a couple of pre-existing Heath Zenith switches and sensors installed. Does anyone know what technology these use? Is there a way to integrate them into a Zee?

I was going to replace the units with Z-Wave capable ones, but if there is a way to use them, I would likely just keep them in the network.

David

....but if there is a way to use them, I would likely just keep them in the network.
    You could just leave them connected as they are.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete -

These don't appear to be the Dual Brite technology.

At one point I thought these were X-10. They might be some sort of modified X-10. They are server/hub independent. I mate the sensor and an auxiliary switch with the switch connected to the lights. If the sensor senses motion and it's not light out, or the auxiliary is switched, or the main switch is turned on, the lights come on. If the lights were turned on due to motion, they turn back in x amount of time, set in the sensor.

Why replace them.....they are a bit problematic. The sensor "usually" works, but not always. The sensory and auxiliary switch run off batteries that need to be replace 2-3 times a year. The lights often become stuck on. I also need to add some functionality, and this has become the throwing good money after bad tipping point. I need to add another sensor - the lights don't come on when you come out of the house - WAF factor. My wife also doesn't like the way the switch looks and can't remember how to turn the lights on and off. In general, I just want to have a common solution going forward, so better to back out what I have and replace it now.

I bought several more switches that I have other applications for, but they aren't a perfect solution to the problems I'm trying to resolve. The Z-Wave equipment that is available does a much better job.

David

Comment

Ahh...yup googling some more found the Heath-Zenith BL-6133-WH which uses a wireless aux switch.

I doubt that you will be able to make them work with your Z-Wave switches unless you go with in line Z-Wave switch and keep the older switches on all of the time. (akin to putting a wall mounted Z-Wave light switch to control a Hue LED lamp.).

Go for it.

I personally do not like having to think about or change batteries.

I'll still mention the "debbie downer pieces" here relating to the WAF logistics.

The $50+ spend on an automated switch is still questioned these days especially when you can purchase an older style (not automated) mechanical switch for less than $10.

I am using multi-toggle switches with links to other switches which is higher WAF; in the realm of an automation switch WAF thing. You can also utilize the cost savings of a DIY relating to the installation of a switch.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'd be more inclined to put the stock switch back in and install a micro controller behind it. But, I don't yet know how that would work. If the micro controller would essentially be a three-way switch, then it would still be confusing if the physical switch is off and the lights are on and vice versa.

The Heath/Zenith switch has three switches on it. There is a larger one that is the on/off that clicks but doesn't physically move. There is a similar switch beside it, though smaller, that is the dimmer (not necessary, but I've actually dimmed the lights a bit to make the fixtures look better). The third is a slide switch on the bottom that REALLY turns the light off. I've explained to my wife that all she needs to use is the larger switch, but I still get the "too confusing" comment thrown at me.....oh, and she no knows to turn on the light before going out to check the mail, but doesn't turn it off! I can fix that with a Z-Wave event handler (I could at least have it go off at dawn).

The GE switches probably have the best WAF factor. They still don't physically move, but pushing the top requests an on and pushing the bottom requests an off. The air switch is a pain in the rear, but is used infrequently and a permanent off could be set with the Z-Wave controller anyway. I think the most often use is to turn the lights off after all the candy is gone on Halloween.....oh, and I turn the porch lights off when I have the Christmas lights up.

I like the Leviton switches I found and will use them in other applications, but they turn on/off by touching the bottom. Pushing the top pops the bottom out and is the air switch. THAT would be beyond WAF!

I have no intention of changing out all my switches, but there are cases of things that don't work. The porch lights are one example. Others are the need to have a switch control a light on the opposite side of the room, whereas the physical switch controls the nearest outlet.

Also, this is fitting into a longer term security requirement as we spend more time at our vacation home (which also needs set up).

I'm willing to spend the $50 to fix a problem and have the system be virtually invisible........I was just hoping someone had gotten the Heath/Zenith tech to work with the Zee so that I could use some of the stuff I've already purchase.

David

Comment

There versus here still utilizing old Leviton switches with IBM part numbers on them. Its been so long I do not recall anymore where they came from.

My UPB switches are like that. I hear them click and the LED changes color.

Personally I never heard of a Heath / Zenith automated switch until you mentioned them here. (started with X-10 around 1978 and just kept using it).

Today wife likes the multitoggle linked switches better than I do.

The scripting stuff works with the Zee just fine. You cannot break it if you give it a try; the Zee is very resilient.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete - what are the multitoggle linked switches that you refer to?

Comment

Working...
              X