Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed-Best hardware to control my alternative energy system

Hello Everyone!
    I would really appreciate people's input. I have had Homeseer since its infancy. I have used X10 and Zwave interfaces. I am finding both of these protocols and equipment far too limiting.

Maybe it would be best to give examples of things I would like to be able to do;
    1. Open and close valves in a waste veg oil system. Maybe show temps of my waste oil system on homeseer.
    2. When the sun is reaches a certain UV strength, turn on my electric heat.
    3. Facial and body recognition to identify single females matching specific parameters. Ha! just kidding. That's a future project!

What road should I go down? Arduino or maybe Rasberry Pi? Use Zwave with Chinese boards that operate in the Zwave frequency?

Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I was reading data about UV index with a Si1145 UV sensor breakout from Adafruit, worked fine except there was virtually no sun at all here last year. I don't know who I was kidding when I installed it. Reading the data on an Arduino was trivial and just transmit it serially to a HS script which in turn updated a HS device.

You could develop stand alone devices to do it (an arduino with a relay on it) or input everything into HS and let HS decide what to do with it, pro's and con's for both really.

Comment

Working...
      X