Keen Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keen Home?

Has anyone looked at these? Sounds very cool. Cheaper than z-wave vents and they work together like the best.

Http://keenhome.io

These do look cool. It's nice that they include a temperature sensor and a static pressure sensor as well. I just wish there was a Z-Wave option.

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
      These do look cool. It's nice that they include a temperature sensor and a static pressure sensor as well. I just wish there was a Z-Wave option.

-Travis
      Yea, they missed the boat in my opinion. Lowes IRIS is about dead and all the stuff at our 3 Lowes is on drastic clearance. Why didn't they pick a future proof protocol/technology to go with. These guys need some input from groups like us on the Shark Tank demonstration.
      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Keen Home Smart Vents - Zigbee, Wink, SmartThings

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        We're working on it Greg but let me tell you, it's not trivial!
        Hi Mark,

In your post in this thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172169

Specifically:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=13

You stated:

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        We're working on it Greg but let me tell you, it's not trivial!
        It looks like it has been some time since this statement was made. Do you know if there is any progress towards this effort or if it's no longer a valid statement. I am considering buying the Keen Home Smart Vents but confirmed with Nate @ Keen Home that they will not be doing any Z-Wave interface (My Preference). He stated:

"At this time we do not intend to build Z-wave versions of the Smart Vent, but we do integrate with SmartThings and Lowes IRIS, both of which do support both Z-wave and ZigBee protocols. We also plan to integrate with Wink."

I am looking for a solid solution, not hodge podge. If HS is still doing the Zigbee Plug-In, any news would be great. Otherwise, I would need others to chime in regarding Wink and SmartThings Plug-In support to see if these vents are even an option me.

Thanks!

-Travis

Comment

Keen Smart Vents and HomeSeer

I have spent the last several weeks testing out the Keen Smart Vents for my basement. I have 11 foot ceilings with the vents in the ceiling, requiring a 6 foot step ladder to open/close the vents. I was mainly looking for a straight forward way to open and close the vents by someone staying in the basement bedroom.

I initially purchased two vents (I will eventually need total of 7) for testing, along with the Keen hub. After pursuing multiple paths to HS integration, I scrapped the Keen Hub and purchased a SmartThings hub from Samsung, which does support the Keen Vents.

My needs are:

manual control of the vents through remote control push buttons

manual control of the vents through wall mounted UPB push buttons

control of vents from HS events/scripts

track status of vents in HS (feedback of manual changes to HS)

For reliable manual control of the vents, I purchased zwave MiniMote push button remotes that talk to SmartThings hub. Since all control here is from within SmartThings, it has been very reliable and pretty fast. Note that the remote talks to ST hub via zwave, and the hub talks to the vents via zigbee.

When minimote button is pushed, in addition to controlling the vent, I also set a virtual ST device ON that is detected by IFTTT, which then runs a HomeSeer event that updates a virtual HS device monitoring the vents' status.

I use UPB switches throughout the house. I use a UPB switch with a faceplate that contains 4 buttons that set the vents to: closed, open 30 %, open 60%, or open fully. The buttons send UPB link packets that HS detects, and runs a HS event. This event turns on a virtual HS device, that is detected by IFTTT and sets another SmartThings virtual device on, which is detected by the ST hub and the vent position is set appropriately. The HS event also updates the HS virtual device that tracks the vents status.

In the case of the UPB buttons, control is dependent upon IFTTT, and hence is inherently not as reliable and timely, although I have had great results. The minimote can be used if for some reason the UPB buttons via IFTTT fail.

While this is kinda complex on the whole, the individual pieces are quite straight forward. I knew nothing of SmartThings when I started and was able to figure this out.

While perhaps not ideal, it beats the hell out of moving a 6 foot step ladder 7 times.

My goal was just manual control of these hard to reach vents, and I am pleased with this solution.

For more complex environmental managment, there are SmartThings Smart Apps that use connected thermostats and temperature sensors to automate the opening and closing of vents.

With the vents now visible to HS for both status and control, my approach would probably be some simple scripting via HS for some automated control in the future.

Logic flow diagram attached.

tenholde
          Attached Files
          tenholde

Comment

Have any simpler solutions been developed in the last few years. I have a Keen vent on the way.

Comment

I just purchased several Keen SmartVents and they work great. I link them into Ecobee thermostats. I have several ecobee remote sensors and put them in the rooms with the SmartVents. I use the Comfort Modes in Ecobee to control what they are doing (sleep, home, away, work, etc.). The vents have an app to allow you to set the desired temperature using the Ecobee sensors and you can set the rooms with your phone. I connect to the Ecobee from the HS and can change the comfort modes easily. It isn't as seamless as I'd like in that I have to use two apps (HS and Keen's SmartVent app) but it certainly beats getting out ladders to adjust things. There is also a Keen "balance" mode (beta, haven't tried it) that I'm thinking attempts to even out the house temperatures automatically.

P.S. I came from a SmartThings setup via a Vera setup (oh, brother, what an unreliable system) so if anybody wants a pile of SmartThings Zigbee motion sensors...

Comment

I have replaced my implementation for Keen Vents from IFTTT and SmartThings, to non-cloud direct control using a ConBee USB stick (ZigBee) and the JowiHue HS plugin. No more cloud, direct HS control and status, quick and reliable. I am very pleased! See attached. Bsmt Vent Control Flow.pdf
                tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                  I have replaced my implementation for Keen Vents from IFTTT and SmartThings, to non-cloud direct control using a ConBee USB stick (ZigBee) and the JowiHue HS plugin. No more cloud, direct HS control and status, quick and reliable. I am very pleased! See attached. [ATTACH]n1302788[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the diagram. Very helpful. Just want to confirm.....you don’t need the Keen Smart Bridge or Temp Sensors for this to work?

Comment

According to https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/informati...d_devices.html these are Zigbee devices supported by zigbee2mqtt (and MQTT plugin such as mcsMQTT).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                      According to https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/informati...d_devices.html these are Zigbee devices supported by zigbee2mqtt (and MQTT plugin such as mcsMQTT).
                      Very cool. I've got a lot to learn about Zigbee/HS3, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                        Do you still have dongles available?

Comment

Yes I do. Email your shipping address to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckk9032 View Post

Thanks for the diagram. Very helpful. Just want to confirm.....you don’t need the Keen Smart Bridge or Temp Sensors for this to work?
                            I use the ConBee dongle on Windows. JowiHue plugin for HS3
                            tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                              I have replaced my implementation for Keen Vents from IFTTT and SmartThings, to non-cloud direct control using a ConBee USB stick (ZigBee) and the JowiHue HS plugin. No more cloud, direct HS control and status, quick and reliable. I am very pleased! See attached. [ATTACH]n1302788[/ATTACH]
                              I tried this and the devices look light lights in HS3, which is fine. But the On button doesn't seem to do anything, although Off and the dimmer sliders works. Did you have the same experience?

Comment

Working...
                              X