Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Control TV and Similar AV Devices?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to Control TV and Similar AV Devices?

    I would like to ultimately be able to automate (When desired) control of TV, Cable Receiver, Chromecast, Surround Sound etc.. I assume IR is the most popular control as there is no other popular ones such as control over IP or other.

    For now, lets start with the simplest step:
    ===============================================
    How to get to turn TV on/off? What hardware, software, configuration or combination thereof do I need to get this started.
    ===============================================

    Please suggest products you have tried or recommend along with links to applicable documentation.

    I searched the posts and it seems like the since 2010 there were was no new chatter about this subject. (it was about the BC4 then).

    Regards,
    a.

    #2
    There are a number of different ways in reality, whilst IR has it's downfalls (lack of status feedback, having to learn all the codes, having to get the hardware etc) it is at least one solution that normally does work because most if not everything has a remote control. Certain TV's have serial inputs (some LG ones and some Samsung ones I know at least) so you can control them over this way, some scripts exist for this but again it has downfalls as much as they have benefits. You also may have the option of DLNA to control newer smart TV's and there is a plugin for that.

    You are unlikely to get control over Chromecast, I have looked into it and it is not really aimed for such control.

    I used the USB UIRT for turning my TV off and on but I never looked at any other solution so have no other experience, it was about the cheapest way but as it connects over USB you may be limited on having your TV and PC close together (or using extenders), there is a free plugin for HS3. It is however getting on a bit and newer IR over IP solutions are probably more future proof.

    Comment


      #3
      Please elaborate on DLNA you mentioned. What is needed and where to find documentation. And can it be integrated with HS solution.

      I checked USB option. There are not so expensive products but it requires a software/PC to control it. That is not what I am looking for.

      The idea is to have an integrated solution with Homeseer using Z-wave or other such as wifi or other.

      Regards,
      a.

      Comment


        #4
        There's an entire suite of hardware and associated plugins that can control these devices via IR
        http://store.homeseer.com/store/Infr...ntrol-C47.aspx
        -Rupp
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by hs@home View Post
          Please elaborate on DLNA you mentioned. What is needed and where to find documentation. And can it be integrated with HS solution.

          I checked USB option. There are not so expensive products but it requires a software/PC to control it. That is not what I am looking for.

          The idea is to have an integrated solution with Homeseer using Z-wave or other such as wifi or other.

          Regards,
          a.
          The DLNA plugin is called the MediaController plugin and is here http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...highlight=DLNA - it is possible that some TV's support some control over this method but I don't know specific makes and models.

          I believe there is a Z-Wave to IR bridge somewhere out there as someone was posting about it the other day but it has some sort of limited code library like it can only hold thirty codes or something. I've seen posts about you using Linux, if you are using Linux HS3 then you are likely to have a narrower set of options and you will need to search the board extensively to get an idea what works.

          Comment


            #6
            Logitech Harmony remote

            I'm using a Logitech Harmony Smart Control in my bedroom, and a Harmony Ultimate Home in the living room, along with Rien du Pre's Harmony Hub plug-in http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1256 .

            Makes everything very simple.

            Comment


              #7
              I'm controlling all of my AV stuff (TV, DVD, FiOS STB, Apple TV...) using IR. The IR interface I'm using is the Global Cache GC-100 and UltraJones' UltraGCIR plugin. Yes, you have to learn all of the IR codes into the system, but once you do, you can design virtual remote controls on all of your HSTouch displays.

              The Samsung TV I have supports discrete ON and OFF IR codes which makes it suitable for timed events to turn the TV on and off.

              I use Xantech hardware to distribute the IR signal to and from the GC-100 and all of my AV equipment.

              The cool thing is that the GC-100 is bi-directional and the UltraGC100 plugin will allow you to trigger HomeSeer events with IR codes.

              One place I use this is that when I turn on the TV, the IR code sent to do that, is fed back to the plugin which triggers an event to load a specific HSTouch screen on the iPad, change the channel of the FiOS STB, dims lights and sets the audio level all automatically. Really cool stuff.

              Comment


                #8
                Ken:

                Do you actually have this working? I couldn't....

                Originally posted by Ken LaCapria View Post
                The cool thing is that the GC-100 is bi-directional and the UltraGC100 plugin will allow you to trigger HomeSeer events with IR codes.
                Don

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ken LaCapria View Post
                  I'm controlling all of my AV stuff (TV, DVD, FiOS STB, Apple TV...) using IR. The IR interface I'm using is the Global Cache GC-100 and UltraJones' UltraGCIR plugin. Yes, you have to learn all of the IR codes into the system, but once you do, you can design virtual remote controls on all of your HSTouch displays.

                  The Samsung TV I have supports discrete ON and OFF IR codes which makes it suitable for timed events to turn the TV on and off.

                  I use Xantech hardware to distribute the IR signal to and from the GC-100 and all of my AV equipment.

                  The cool thing is that the GC-100 is bi-directional and the UltraGC100 plugin will allow you to trigger HomeSeer events with IR codes.

                  One place I use this is that when I turn on the TV, the IR code sent to do that, is fed back to the plugin which triggers an event to load a specific HSTouch screen on the iPad, change the channel of the FiOS STB, dims lights and sets the audio level all automatically. Really cool stuff.
                  Have you managed to configure this with a REAL remote as well. I'm all for HStouch control but for media, I want to hold the remote!
                  Jim
                  ----
                  Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

                  Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X