Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chance This Board will ever move to new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Chance This Board will ever move to new forum software?

Yikes, this board is old and hard to navigate. Any chance it will be migrated to something where the pages aren't covered with a few hundred boxes? The lightweight interface looks better, but of course it is also missing controls.

It was tried about two years ago (I think roughly) but there were issues with it, can't remember what now but it was rolled back to this version. Who knows if it will be attempted again but I have to say this version does just work so may be a case of if it is not broken then don't mess with it...

Comment

Maybe a good cut-off point will be when HS4 is released.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
        Yikes, this board is old and hard to navigate. Any chance it will be migrated to something where the pages aren't covered with a few hundred boxes? The lightweight interface looks better, but of course it is also missing controls.
        We upgraded the board to the latest version nearly 2 years ago and it was HORRENDOUSLY slow and actually harder to navigate with less search features. We'd like to move to a better solution, especially one that is natively mobile friendly with better social media integration but haven't found just the right fit yet.

For those who thrive on reliving agony, here you go: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=161775
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm glad Tapatalk is supported. So much nicer on my phone and tablets.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
            Granted vBulletin 3.XX is an older product, but it is still a very good product, I would be curious to understand how it is hard to navigate.

My partner and I rolled out a number of communities on vB 3.XX and have since sold them. The new owners have tried to upgrade to vB4 and were met with an outcry of resistance and have elected to keep them on 3.XX. We also rolled out a few on vB4 and the new owners have left them at 4. We still have one of our own up on vB4 and it is plenty fast, but I can't find any way that it is easier to navigate than vB3. It has a whole bunch more bells and whistles. If you want to look at vB4 visit www.rx3forums.com I think the skin is distracting, but it is what the group wanted.

vB5 has more social media integration, but at its core the navigation is still very similar.

Granter there are a number of other producers of forum software, but the smart money is to stay with vBulletin because the development community and user base is so large.

I think HomeSeer is smart to stick with this version.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Searching

One of the best items I've seen for older boards is linking with the Google search engine. It makes searching much easier. Any thoughts to adding that?

Comment

Please NO

Originally posted by JRose View Post
                One of the best items I've seen for older boards is linking with the Google search engine. It makes searching much easier. Any thoughts to adding that?
                If I want to Google Search I will do that separately.

Comment

Originally posted by clay2young View Post
                  If I want to Google Search I will do that separately.
                  It's not a Google search of the web. It just searches within the forum. It's a search engine that actually works way better than what's here.

Comment

Originally posted by JRose View Post
                    It's available by using a Google search of:
                    search terms site:board.homeseer.com
                    ie cm11a site:board.homeseer.com
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Using the Google add on is not nearly as powerful as using it on your own. Similar to what Rupp said above.

It is also best to arrange it this way:
                      site:board.homeseer.com
                      followed by words, phrases, etc.

If you are using the Google toolbar in IE just put the terms in the search box. If you are using Chrome, you can put the terms in the address bar.

If you don't use Chrome or have a toolbar just bookmark www.google.com then type in the search terms in the Google search bar.

If you follow the above with "social media" you will find posts that only contain that exact phrase.

If you follow the above without quotes social media you will find posts that contain either word.

If you follow the above without quotes and the "+" symbol social+media you will find posts that contain both words, but not necessarily together.

The list of search usage punctuation and symbols is here

Lastly you can bookmark a search like this then just edit the text for the terms you are looking for. The bookmark will create a page like this where you just need to edit the keywords and click on the search button.

The thing is, none of the above is any more difficult and usually more powerful than using a Google search add in to vBulletin.
                      Last edited by randy; May 31, 2016, 02:17 PM.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                      X