Whirlpool Water Heater EnergySmart Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Water Heater EnergySmart Module

There is a module available at Lowes for the Whirlpool "Iris" comparable water heaters finally. Looking at the documentation it appears to only work with the Iris system. Has anyone attempted to interface with this module yet? It works over WiFi so it may be possible to reverse engineer the protocol it uses. I will be picking one of these up today to determine if the device can be accessed or controlled by anything other than Iris. If anyone else has info or would like to work on this please let me know so we can share info.

Here is the list of Water Heater Models it supports:
    ES2H40HD045V, ES2J40HD045V, ES2H50HD045V, ES2J50HD045V, ES2J65HD045V, ES2H80HD045V, ES2J80HD045V, ES40R92-45D, ES40R123-45D, ES50R92-45D, ES50R123-45D, ES80H123-45D

Iris is Lowes propietary automation hub / service.

Here is an old maybe API for this stuff.
    Last edited by Pete; April 9th, 2015, 08:25 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I did see that link in another thread, however, it is actually a link to a file that is not on the server. The page that displays is an error page. The actual file from the link is available on the Lowes site and it is the Smart Start Guild for the device (http://www.lowes.com/pdf/Energy_Smar...Controller.pdf). Whats interesting is that the site does appear to be an API related site. Now we just have to find someone that can access the materials. I will be picking one of these up at lunch and will attempt to do a packet capture to see who it is trying to connect with. I will also attempt to tear down the device to determine if there is a way to modify the firmware to enable a more Open use of the hardware.

-Bill

Comment

Good news Bill.

I am starting to see a "disjointingness" of this stuff.

This morning tried (in vain) to see how many subs that the Lowest IRIS has today.

It appears that the Wink hub (Home Depot) will connect to Lowes IRIS stuff.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

Comment

I agree, I've tried the wink and it fails in my opinion on many fronts. Homeseer is clearly the workhorse in this space. The closed proprietary nature of the Wink and Iris turns me off.
          Last edited by Jonesb930; April 17th, 2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Iris is Lowes propietary automation hub / service.

Here is an old maybe API for this stuff.
            the Iris stuff is a rebranded AlertMe:
            http://www.alertme.com/

i know some people that work there so ill try and find out more.
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Yup and personally here guessing that if this stuff gets reversed engineered (IE: Whirlpool Iris) then it will sell maybe. (relating to the automation pieces only?)
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Module Internal Images

I finally received my control. Setup was easy through a web page. Once the unit is setup the web service is shut down though. I may experiment with a few exploits to see if the web server is vulnerable. If so I may be able to get root access to the system. I have not had time to capture any network traffic yet to se if it is encripted.

Sone interesting things to note:

J5, in the top of the 3rd photo, has a hole cutout for accessing it through the case cover. The hole is covered by the label. It appears as though they intended to give end users access to it but changed design after the plastic housings were in production.

J3 looks like a JTAG possibly.

The 44 pin "U3" looks like an Atmel Micro controller. The two IC's (U3 & U4) have been painted over to hide there identity.

Here are some images of the internals.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jonesb930; April 17th, 2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I identified the WiFi module as an INVENTEK SYSTEMS ISM43362-M3G-L44. Here is a link to the data sheet: http://www.inventeksys.com/wp-conten...cification.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesb930 View Post
                    I identified the WiFi module as an INVENTEK SYSTEMS ISM43362-M3G-L44. Here is a link to the data sheet: http://www.inventeksys.com/wp-conten...cification.pdf
                    Hey Jones,

Did you manage to figure out anyway to intercept the data?

-Kaze

Comment

I honestly have been sidetracked on other projects. I may get back on this over the holidays.

Comment

Any luck? I have a Whirlpool with the smart grid connector, and a sudden urge to control it to drop my ridiculous electric bill a bit... Thanks

Comment

Has anyone been able to get Iris WIFI stuff to work with homeseer? I have a Whirlpool Water softener that connects to Iris over WIFI. Its the only iris device i have. The service is shutting down and im wondering if it can be connected to homeseer.

Comment

Working...
                          X