Wireless /w network interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless /w network interface?

I'll be moving soon and will need to install a new alarm system at the new house. Unfortunately, it is not prewired for alarm so I'll have to go with 100% wireless. I know a lot of HomeSeer users like DSC. I can certainly go that route but I was also wondering if there is a popular solution for not only wireless alarm but network based connectivity to HomeSeer (vs serial).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Mike

Although I haven't tried it, many here like the Envisalink interface with the DSC security system, which provides a network port interface.

Comment

Ademco vista is also a fine choice.

It interfaces to HomeSeer with AD2USB, they have systems that can support over 200 zones, addressable devices on a twisted pair (VPlex, use one cable to link multiple devices), and the plugin supports RF mode that reports zone faults quicker than normal (~1s vs 3s).

As for extending connectivity to homeseer via network, there are plenty of USB over IP and Serial over IP solutions out there.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I prefer ademco too due to parts availability( very inexpensive on flee bay), massive amount of panel/device and info/installer manuals.
        Ademco can be coupled with envisalink (ip controlled) to Homeseer via Spuds Plugin. Best of all worlds

Tom
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post

It interfaces to HomeSeer with AD2USB, they have systems that can support over 200 zones, addressable devices on a twisted pair (VPlex, use one cable to link multiple devices), and the plugin supports RF mode that reports zone faults quicker than normal (~1s vs 3s).

As for extending connectivity to homeseer via network, there are plenty of USB over IP and Serial over IP solutions out there.

1 second is a huge delay when talking about using motion sensor to turn lights on. You'll be bumping into stuff in the dark every time you enter a room. If that were my only option as far a legit real motion sensors goes I'd probably just get Z-Wave ones instead.

But I would never be in that situation because I would just pull the wire. :/
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            1 second is a huge delay when talking about using motion sensor to turn lights on. You'll be bumping into stuff in the dark every time you enter a room. If that were my only option as far a legit real motion sensors goes I'd probably just get Z-Wave ones instead.

But I would never be in that situation because I would just pull the wire. :/
            I dunno, 1 second delay is less than 2 steps from the door for me; and if you can position the sensor in front of the door then the 1s could start counting as you swing the door open. So it's not too bad...

But yeah, I use x10 and z-wave sensors for areas that need quicker response

And yeah, there are plenty of great deals on Ademco sensors on Ebay all the time!
            HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Put one of these in your living room....
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
              Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
              HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Is the plug-in the bottleneck, or something else? i.e. What's causing the 1 second delay?

Maybe not everyone, but most people would get annoyed by a 1s delay. From a WAF perspective, a maximum 100ms delay would be certain not to cause annoyance or complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                  Is the plug-in the bottleneck, or something else? i.e. What's causing the 1 second delay?

Maybe not everyone, but most people would get annoyed by a 1s delay. From a WAF perspective, a maximum 100ms delay would be certain not to cause annoyance or complaints.

I don't know about the Ademco sensors but I know the DSC wireless sensors have a 3 second delay built in. They don't send the closed signal until 3 seconds after there is motion.

If you point your sensor at the door, sure, it will fire that much faster. But remember that even the cheapest sensor will see through doors. So you would need to always keep every door in the house closed or else lights will be turning on in unoccupied rooms all the time.
                  Originally posted by rprade
                  There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I dunno, 1 second delay is less than 2 steps from the door for me; and if you can position the sensor in front of the door then the 1s could start counting as you swing the door open. So it's not too bad...
                    !
                    Good to know, I'm still resorting out my security situation so I may go with security motion sensors for occupancy in rooms that are not frequented as often, attic, and outdoor areas( covered/sofit) Plus I have several extra ademco motion sensors laying around.

Tom
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      I don't know about the Ademco sensors but I know the DSC wireless sensors have a 3 second delay built in. They don't send the closed signal until 3 seconds after there is motion.
                      So, is the sensor looking for 3 seconds of motion (or possibly more than one motion detected over a 3 second period) so as to reduce false positives? If not that, I don't see the point of a 3 second delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Put one of these in your living room....
                        Your welding mask, Pete?

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post

The plugin is not the bottleneck, actually the plugin has 2 'modes'. One that allows raw reading of the RF signal and another (default) that reads 'zone fault' from the ademco control panel. The 'raw' RF signal is somewhere between 500ms-1s I'm guessing, and the zone fault is much later. I'm guessing they wait for 2 or more RF 'fault' resend, to avoid any false alarms.

One thing about using these for motion trigger though: they never fail

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                        Good to know, I'm still resorting out my security situation so I may go with security motion sensors for occupancy in rooms that are not frequented as often, attic, and outdoor areas( covered/sofit) Plus I have several extra ademco motion sensors laying around.

Tom
                        If you go with wired motion sensor, they should fire much faster. For example, ademco's vplex has 2 types of response. Fast (10ms) and slow (400ms).

Comment

Your welding mask, Pete?
                          No just one of many different types of outdoor wired sensors I have played with.

I also purchased a few Luminite outdoor PIR sensors which are better than the above pictured one. Settles on Optex but its never been perfect for what it does.

There are fundamental issues though with outdoor PIR sensors; always have been.

Relating to alarm systems in general and my personal preferences relate to:

1 - wired / powered to panel whatever the panel/analog switch may be
                          2 - wireless (if you have no choice) made for alarm systems - slower than #1

Personally the mix of security and automation is difficult.

Here have only played with wireless Zigbee PIR's, flood detector and door switch.

One of the above has a low battery after one year and is still working.

I am used to wired sensors and wouldn't utilize Zigbee at this time for security sensors; probably because I do not want to think about batteries. IE: the Zigbee PIR looks much like a old fashioned PIR but it needs a battery to work. I have an older GE wireless PIR which is smaller and has smaller batteries and probably would last twice as long as the Zigbee PIR.

The more pieces you put in between the hardware and the mothership whatever that is will make it less effective.

Taking an analog interface to a home network puts another transport piece between the hardware and the mothership.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            One of the above has a low battery after one year and is still working.
                            Yeah, I use one of the wireless ademco sensor in my bathroom. It's a very active area and the sensor would fire every 5 seconds or so when there's someone in there and it's still going strong after nearly 2 years without battery change yet.

The more pieces you put in between the hardware and the mothership whatever that is will make it less effective.

Taking an analog interface to a home network puts another transport piece between the hardware and the mothership.
                            In my experience, the ademco wireless protocol is so much more reliable than z-wave. Sure it's about 450ms slower, but it fires 100% of the time so far.

My z-wave door locks all have worked 99% of the time, but the motion detectors (hsm-100 and hsm-200) are good maybe 80% of the time so far. Maybe I need to readd them to the system, or get firmware upgrade. who knows...

One thing I like about using these ademco motion detectors for home automation is that I can set their turn-off period dynamically, depending on my house mode. Most home automation motion detectors have 1 minute as a minimum and can't be changed on the fly.

I use very short turn-off time for late nights, after the house is secured and everyone is presumably asleep.. so anyone going out in the hallways/downstair is probably just passing to pick something up/kitchen run/etc.

(i don't know about other brands, but I assume other security system are probably similar)

Comment

Yup I utilize one Leviton OPII wireless interface today still in test mode with one panel and none on the other panel. It works fine with the devices I have tested.

Then I also have a few never connected.

For Leviton HAI wireless devices.

LV42A002
                              Compatible with all 319.5 MHz Interlogix (ITI or GE Security) and Caddx (Crystal or SAW) Learn Mode 63-bit wireless transmitters.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X