RGB & RGBW lighting / HS integration overall discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    I have that one, ironically installed in my daughters room. Every day she wanted to paint her walls in a new color. We painted the room white, and now she can change the color to any color she likes.

The controller takes any 12V led strip, at least all I have tested.

This is the controls:

As you can see not very detailed, but it works. "Color 1" is red.
    Can you tell me which model you have? It sseems like there is difficulty with the TRC02, which appears to be what is linked to in the OP.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174610
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I'll check but I don't have any problems turning mine on or off. I have the ones from DealExtreme.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

be sure and check out the alum extrusions for mounting..both straight and angular

I have the HUE bulbs for wall wash and accent in my Family room to set the mood ( JowiHUE ) and alarm when motion in front patio
        I have RGB strip, controlled by the Kevin Lo Controller for back light on my main TV ( PI by Mr Happy )
        I have Blue Rope light under my SPA for mood lighting / safety
        I have White Rope under my cabinets ( first install of LED )
        and I am installing RGB under the toe kicks of my cabinets in bedroom, bathrooms, and kitchen ( RFXCom )
        will be adding back lighting to bedroom TV
        Last edited by gearyt; May 27, 2015, 09:05 AM.
        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

So what's the consensus? I'd like to move on getting this stuff as soon as possible. It's my daughters birthday tomorrow! No that I ever manage to get her a present on time, or usually even within a month of whatever holiday. But still.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
            I use Fibaro RGBW modules for my LED strips, both white only and RGB stripes. Reliable controlled via Z-wave. I also have some 433 Mhz controlled by RFXtrx, but the modules does not allow the same amount of control as the Fibaro modules which gives med 4 separate channels.

I'm also looking into DMX for my christmas lights because my 4 y/o daughter asked why our lights look "so booring", and what is a father to do? However, I'm thinking about writing a simple plugin to control DMX fixtures, so I can make use of the lights the other 11 months of the year.
            Looked further into RGBW, and I just don't feel there will be enough light produced being every other led is white. Decided to run with the 600 Led High Density.

My loads will total 200 watts and 200 watts on two separate controls. Dimming is a preference.

Looking at the Fabaro controller its limited up to 144 watts and Sells for $70. I would need 3-4 which would cost maybe $280. Looking for an alternative to dimming that can be controlled with Homeseer.

One ideas I had was to use a PWM Dimming Controller and a SPDT Relay. This would allow two states (100%, and a manually set dim %) but placing the straight voltage on the NC side of the relay and the dimming power on the NO side.

The relay could be controlled by alarm outputs and would cost less than $30.

Also seen some RF controllers but not sure how to ingrate with HS or wither they have presets.

Anyone else ideas on dimming white tape lights by way of Homeseer?

Thanks
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

while i use DMX for most of my RGB Leds (i currently only have around 100 channels) but that is too many to control in HS3 (most are running animations and i don't want to slow down the PC any more than it is already) so i am controlling them with a S.T.I.C.K. DE3 that has it's own software and you can create shows/scenes that can be triggered via IP Packets or a number of other ways but i plan on using the IP Packets to control it (for now i am just using the calendar feature)

or if you only have a few zones the Arduino plugin supports RGB strips/lights (a few zones per mega) so that may be the ticket, i use a mini led amplifier with it so you can connect lots of strip to an arduino and you don't have to worry about burning out any pins or messing with building any circuits but you can do that as well if needed

Comment

Like the idea of Arduino and think that's the direction I'll go. Would like to explore this interface for other applications.

Looking at the Arduino, I can use some FETs on the pwm outputs to control lighting with HS communicating over Ethernet.

One question I have is about the inline amplifiers. Can they handle pwm dimming or are they on/off only.

Thanks for suggestions.
                HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

yes the amps can be dimmed with PWM so you get full color mixing

This is what i use http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/rgb-...ifier-ttl.html as they are cheap, super small and easy to connect and can control up to 2 reels without an additional amp

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                    Looked further into RGBW, and I just don't feel there will be enough light produced being every other led is white. Decided to run with the 600 Led High Density.
                    Do not forget that the RGB LED can be set to on as well so you get true white plus composite white.

My loads will total 200 watts and 200 watts on two separate controls. Dimming is a preference.
                    I am away from home at the moment so cannot go and eyeball the things to give you the details but you do not need to do this, You can use one controller to control kilowatts of LED strips. When I first started playing with RGB strips a few years back (for an art project) I discovered that the pro's use these relatively inexpensive (if you saw what was inside them you would understand why) repeaters although I have seen them called power injectors and other similar names. Basically these are 3 (or 4 in the case of RGBW) Mosfets in a box that enable you to use the "output" of one strip plus fresh power to power another strip or strips. I have used these little things in almost every project since as for some reason every run I want to do is just over what the controllers I am using can handle.

You do not have to daisy chain them you can spider stuff out and just use one big central PSU. Go search ebay and you will find them.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanD View Post
                      Go search ebay and you will find them.
                      or you can use the ones that usLEDSupply links to above.

(note to self, do not start to write a reply walk off to do something, come back a few hours later and press submit)

Comment

Would like to do RGBW in Dining Room Tray ceiling.
                        Already have cooper dimmer on wall controlling an outlet above my crown molding. (Could just hardwire outlet if switch not required)
                        Must be zwave controlled
                        OR controlled through Philips Hue (but HUE strips are ridiculously expensive)
                        Seems Fibaro RGBW modules are a possibility.

Any straightforward recommendations out there? (I'm more of a plug-in guy than writing or using scripts)

Comment

So i built something to do this, its an Ethernet to dmx that uses the arduino, the arduino does the fade and other programs and the Ethernet allows it to be controlled via Homeseer using a script.

it works with rgb or rgbw.

let me know if you would like more info.

i currently have it working via wireless dmx in 2 rooms with 5 zones
                          Attached Files
                          HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                          53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                          https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Hi Raptor,

Sounds like an ambitious project - well done putting that together! But too complicated for me to set up. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Comment

Working...
                            X