Windows XP safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP safety

My father is old and set in his ways, he is also right with money (though he has enough) and refuses to buy a new computer. He's running an emachines desktop and what I believe to be xp sp2. It's apparently bogged down with malware and o get the joy of cleaning it up when mom brings it into town today. Any ideas for what I can do since I can't update it to sp3 or put win 7 on it? I'm sure I can clean it up but am worried about them being exposed when online. He just recently started shopping online from daily deal sites. Still trying to push for a new computer maybe making the comparison to a hooker orgy without a condom will help..

Originally posted by kideon View Post
    ?.. making the comparison to a hooker orgy without a condom will help..
    Lol that's one way to prove them that you've all grown up now.

Or you can maybe give him one if the opportunity presents itself... Or point him to deal sites that peddles computers too. I've seen some pretty decent deals on woot every now and then.

What's the spec of the current compouter btw?
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I like the analogy

I would try to convince him to get a new machine with W7 and make it look the same as his current machine. I had to do the same for my mom recently (she was running a laptop with Vista). I made sure I got a W7 laptop as W8.1 would have been too large a change.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Just "break" it when trying to fix it. Then tell him only way to fix, is loading a new Windows 7 install.
        Jim
        ----
        Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

Comment

I think it's a 1ghz Celeron with a gig of Rams. Lol good ideas... Side note is there a good site to determine broadband providers in an area? They live in the boonies and cox used to serve the are but sold it off. They're using dial up (ugh) and satellite TV.

Comment

Here played a bit yesterday with Windows 8.1 lite. It does run OK on a slower machine.

I have also been playing with a new HP W7 embedded terminal as they now giving these away as new old stock. It does OK running on an old Atom CPU / 4Gb.

The above noted Windows 8.1 does a better job of hiding the malware infections which is a bad thing.

Best too to put a better firewall in to stop stuff before it enters the network and not utilize IE.

My preference these days is to utilize Firefox tweaked out a bit. I still do also utilize Malwarebytes here with a lite AV running on the desktops.

There are a few steps today that work with a majority of older XP stuff to clean malware.

Stop using IE and switch over to Firefox (easier for me here).

1 - spybot - its free
            2 - Malwarebytes - anti-malware
            3 - adwcleaner
            4 - combo fix is my favorite starting.

The above noted tweak out Firefox (its easy to learn) such that it saves nothing.

If your father only uses the computer to surf; install buntu lite on the computer with a good browser (tweaking it again along with Buntu).

If he is OK with touch; then purchase a tablet for him just to surf.
            Last edited by Pete; May 10, 2015, 08:43 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
            Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

They're using dial up (ugh) and satellite TV.
              If they have access to T-Mobile then you can configure a T-Mobile LTE link for a reasonable monthly charge these days less than $50 a month for unlimited internet. I got slammed by AT&T after 30 years last year for multiple lines. I did hear that a letter went out to customer service to do this and get rid of all of the grandfathered accounts.

Here I keep my Direct TV going (from the 80's) concurrent to my Comcast connection. I have no contracts (per year or whatever). It used to be you would get a discount for being a good customer. That is changing now as you get put on a black list for asking about discounts these days. Very mickey mouse.

Old friend here that lives on a farm shares his DTV account with his brother and sister who have separate homes on the farm and it does work fine for him/family. He uses a wireless service for Internet and it is piss poor and expensive these days such that he will probably do a point to point wireless connection to his Comcast account in town a few miles away.

Many neighbours here (retired) have gone this route (portable cellular wireless AP) and take their cellular wireless AP with them when they go to Florida in the winter. Basically they use their internet access for web surfing and emails; nothing else.

I have some friends that retired to TN and they are doing this today with a cellular booster antenna and it works fine for them.

Personally here mother has FIOS and rates have gone up to over $200 per month such that I will most likely put her back on Satellite as the wires are there and move the internet over to Comcast (which will will work with an Ooma VOIP box just fine).
              Last edited by Pete; May 10, 2015, 08:52 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                Any ideas for what I can do since I can't update it to sp3 or put win 7 on it?
                Even though support for XP has ended, you can still download SP3, burn it to a CD, and install it from there. Info available at:
                https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24

The download is available by following links on the page above, or go directly to it at:
                https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24
                Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Here utilized XPe for my Homeseer 2/3 touchscreens. Runs fine. Note I do utilize the XPe touchscreen tablets to surf the internet.

My wife's home office net op PC is running XP SP3 and doing fine for the little use of it today. Her office is still on W7.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I don't know what your hourly rate for cleaning up a pc is, but a refurbished Win7 computer seems like it would be easy to justify vs. the time to fuss with the old xp machine.

In any case, I hope you have them set up with a good AV package and an account on their machine that does not have administrator privileges.

I haven't used this, but it looks like it might help find an isp if one is available to them.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Here unrelated a bit; the migration out of the DirectTivo boxes utilized for years was tumultuous and very low on the WAF.

Personally my mother's and wife's computer is totally locked up such that they have no administrative rights.

I did also purchase the new old stock HP terminal with W7E for $50 here to play with. The deal also included wireless. It is totally locked up such that only administrative access can do anything with it today. Even has built in TTS/VR which works well.

You can with the HP utilities increase the size of the DOM and add a RW drive for saving stuff (well like pictures et al).

It is well constructed and made to last a long time and has a tiny footprint. Note here that I like the construction a bit better than the new Atom Baytrail mini PC that I purchased (PiPoX7)

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just got it plugged up its running xp3 and extremely sluggish. Tried installing ad-aware which failed installation..running chkdsk now... Single core Celeron with 256g ram....

Comment

Single core Celeron / 256Mb is a bit lite.

Try upping the cache drive to 1Gb and making it permanent.

Guessing you have already tried ComboFix eh?

ComboFix is free and it is light. Ad-Aware has become a bit bloated and is too fat these days to run on a single core Celeron / 256Mb of memory.

Put the applications on a USB stick first using a second computer.

Read a bit on bleeping computer dot com

1 - combofix - free
                          2 - Adwcleaner - free
                          3 - TDSSKiller - free
                          4 - RKill - free
                          5 - Junkware Removal Tool

Run Combofix first. It will take a long time to run depending on what is on the computer and the single core celeron / 256Mb doesn't help.

Then run 2,3,4,5 above. Go slow.

You can also create a boot cleanup ISO which does download new stuff and does a good job cleaning the PC. Note that I googled and found these in about 2 minutes.

1- Panda Cloud Cleaner rescue ISO - free
                          2 - Comodo Rescue Disk - free
                          3 - Look here for more.
                          Last edited by Pete; May 10, 2015, 05:43 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hey Pete,

Tried first couple of those cleaners - for good or bad, it removed some stuff.
                            What antivirus do you recommend - either paid or free?
                            Jim
                            ----
                            Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

Comment

Free and skinny.

I am currently using Panda Cloud free and MalWarebytes (paid) for my Wife's net top running XP - SP3. I am going to switch her over to W7E sometime in the near future. Thinking Malwarebytes free is OK to use too. Both Panda and Malwarebytes are very light.

You can configure Firefox such that it cleans up after itself and install the free Ghostery and ADBlock plus (both free and they work well) Firefox plugins. Firefox is fatter though than the old IE and it might run a bit slower than IE on the Celeron/256Mb of memory.

It's a WAF thing right now keeping her at XP SP3 (although she is also using W7 Embedded today at work).

It might be easier to take the old drive out and put it in a powered 3.5" USB case and just stick another drive in the PC; re install XP SP3 from scratch and copy whatever is important on the old drive over. You can then run a cleaner on the USB connected drive if you want. Installation of XP and whatever would probably take 30 minutes or so.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X