Google announces Brillo OS and Weave protocol for IoT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google announces Brillo OS and Weave protocol for IoT

At its I/O Conference, Google announced Brillo and Weave, an attempt from Google to unify IoT via Android..

venturebeat.com/2015/05/28/google-annou ... of-things/http://gizmodo.com/get-ready-for-goo...m-f-1706783821

Originally posted by olof2006 View Post
    At its I/O Conference, Google announced Brillo and Weave, an attempt from Google to unify IoT via Android..

venturebeat.com/2015/05/28/google-annou ... of-things/

http://gizmodo.com/get-ready-for-goo...m-f-1706783821
    You are not kidding, they already know WAY too much... No Thanks.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

IF GOOGLE THEN NSA
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Doesn't bother me if Google is involved. What I don't like about some of it is that there is some kind of implied requirement that you go through the internet (Wink/SmartThings). I'm not for having my automation run in the cloud. I think that it's potentially great that Google might create a standard for the actual device communications (not how they communicate, but what they communicate) with Weave, but then again, it's just "another standard".

I believe google has the clout to actually make it something, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into "everything has to talk to the internet" (which would then remove the "google knows everything I do" part).

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
          I believe google has the clout to actually make it something, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into "everything has to talk to the internet" (which would then remove the "google knows everything I do" part).
          Google has the clout to make just about anything happen on the web, but they still have their share of failures (google plus, google wave, google buzz, google glass... youtube's comment section *yuck*)
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I guess weave is google's HomeKit? Perhaps this will eventually shakedown like the automotive landscape where every new car has to have CarPlay and Android auto. Though MS can play in the IoT ring too (but not in the automotive ring since they have no mobile strategy). Years ago they were testing an HS like OS. And they now have win10 IoT. If they came out with a revamped home server that had IoT hooks it would be intriguing. Not having any Android devices I'm not too interested in Brillo/weave. Having a ton of Apple/MS devices I'm very interested in what they do.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
            X