• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    OK. I'll accept that.
    But, I could say the same about the DS10 I have on my mailbox, that is at least 150 feet from the antenna.
    Again, I can say the same, but about HS2. It is downright boring now that HST is no longer fussing with it (mostly to address Z-wave functionality, it seemed).

I need to 'upgrade' to HS3 so I have stuff to 'fix' again!
    I will add that I wasn't ruling out X-10, but if I was going to settle on a single technology I would have to think that Z-Wave is the best poised (albeit with room to improve) right now. I really like the concept of Z-Wave, it sometimes falls short in implementation, but has grown better in the short time I have been using it. With technology the way it is, there's no telling where we will be next year.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by S-F View Post
    You guys are boring and unimaginative.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Leave a comment:

• S-F
    replied
    You guys are boring and unimaginative.

You just need to come up with new and creative things for HS to do for you!

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    You're just being an old fuddy
    OK. I'll accept that.
    The door sensor we are talking about in this thread is on my mailbox, outside on the street, easily 70+ feet and 3 walls from the controller, yet it communicates directly.
    But, I could say the same about the DS10 I have on my mailbox, that is at least 150 feet from the antenna.
    Now that we have every device installed it is almost boring, I find myself trying to figure out new things to do just so I can fiddle with the system. I have said in other posts that my wife even appreciates and relies on home automation, where she was very skeptical last year at this time.
    Again, I can say the same, but about HS2. It is downright boring now that HST is no longer fussing with it (mostly to address Z-wave functionality, it seemed).

I need to 'upgrade' to HS3 so I have stuff to 'fix' again!

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    Is it just me being an old fuddy, or are there applications where Z-wave is just not well-suited, and even X10 wireless (not PLC) is easier to setup and use?
    You're just being an old fuddy

All kidding aside, Z-Wave is very good, but there is a learning curve to getting devices to work properly, especially battery operated devices. The inclusion and interrogation process is crucial, so that all of the devices capabilities can be properly provided to the controlling software. Once that is done and the network is properly optimized, it is now very reliable. It was until last fall before the Z-Wave plug-in got to the point where it was 99% reliable. Mine hasn't had a failed command since. The door sensor we are talking about in this thread is on my mailbox, outside on the street, easily 70+ feet and 3 walls from the controller, yet it communicates directly.

Now that we have every device installed it is almost boring, I find myself trying to figure out new things to do just so I can fiddle with the system. I have said in other posts that my wife even appreciates and relies on home automation, where she was very skeptical last year at this time.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Is it just me being an old fuddy, or are there applications where Z-wave is just not well-suited, and even X10 wireless (not PLC) is easier to setup and use?

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. I brought the tilt sensor inside and kept it within 5 feet of the Z-NET. After a couple of attempts it was able to successfully interrogate the device. I'm now able to get notifications when my garage door is either open or closed

Now I'm attempting to create a virtual device that will allow me to open or close the garage door.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by macrho View Post
    Still not having luck though I did see the statuses populated but nothing displays in the log when the status changes.

Here is from the "rescan":

Code:
    May-29 4:31:37 PM 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-NET: Device Outside Garage Right Tilt Sensor Optimization not executed, the node cannot be reached. 
    May-29 4:31:18 PM 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-NET: Device Outside Garage Right Tilt Sensor Optimization not executed, the node cannot be reached. 
    May-29 4:31:01 PM 
    Z-Wave Warning 
    The device at node 29 should result in 3 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation. 
    Z-Wave Error 
    Node 29 did not provide Wake-Up Command Class information - it will not be processed further. 
    Z-Wave 
    All associations for node 29 have been retrieved successfully. 
    May-29 4:31:00 PM 
    Z-Wave 
    Getting association information for node 29 
    Z-Wave 
    Node 29 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.4 App: 2 
    Z-Wave 
    Node: 29 Controls Class(es): BASIC 
    Z-Wave 
    Node: 29 Supports Class(es): SENSOR_BINARY_V2, ALARM_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, VERSION_V2, ASSOCIATION, WAKE_UP, BATTERY, CONFIGURATION 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-Wave 
    Device synchronization needs to create devices for one new node. 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-Wave 
    Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
    Those log entries show that the device was not awake during the whole interrogation. Did you do as I suggested above and make sure the device stayed awake during the whole process? You will get the longest awake period, by removing the battery for about 15-30 seconds, then reinstalling it immediately before you rescan. If you are including them for the first time, remove the battery, then put your controller in the Add/Include mode and immediately install the battery. Just remember to be fast. In either case it is best to be close to the Z-Net - within 5-10 feet should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    Still not having luck though I did see the statuses populated but nothing displays in the log when the status changes.

Here is from the "rescan":

Code:
    May-29 4:31:37 PM 
    Z-Wave 
    May-29 4:31:18 PM 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-Wave Warning 
    The device at node 29 should result in 3 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation. 
    Z-Wave Error 
    Node 29 did not provide Wake-Up Command Class information - it will not be processed further. 
    Z-Wave 
    All associations for node 29 have been retrieved successfully. 
    Z-Wave 
    Getting association information for node 29 
    Z-Wave 
    Node 29 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.4 App: 2 
    Z-Wave 
    Node: 29 Controls Class(es): BASIC 
    Z-Wave 
    Node: 29 Supports Class(es): SENSOR_BINARY_V2, ALARM_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, VERSION_V2, ASSOCIATION, WAKE_UP, BATTERY, CONFIGURATION 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-Wave 
    Device synchronization needs to create devices for one new node. 
    Z-Wave 
    Z-Wave 
    Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    I'll delete and re-add the device, I had done the original add at a distance
    Most of my battery devices are giving me headaches
    Just a few quick pointers on battery devices
    • With a Z-Stick or a Z-Troller, keep them very close to the controller. With the Z-Net you have a little more latitude.
    • The device must be awake during inclusion and be kept awake during the entire process. Sometimes the devices don't stay awake during the interrogation after inclusion, you can sometimes help the process by waking them up again during the process.
    • Rescan if you see any errors during the inclusion. Again, be sure the device is awake during the entire process. On the door tilt sensors I hit the include/wakeup a couple of times during the process.
    • For all my battery operated devices I use this same process with the device near the controller. After confirming that it is included properly, I place the device and do a couple of optimize passes after it is in its final location. It must be awakened immediately before optimizing. I usually carry a laptop or tablet to the device so that I can initiate the optimization while at the device.

Leave a comment:

• S-F
    replied
    You might not need to remove the device from your Z-Wave interface. Just delete all of the child devices and then rescan the root device first. That will rebuild all of the child devices.

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    I'll delete and re-add the device, I had done the original add at a distance
    Most of my battery devices are giving me headaches

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    This is what I see:
    There is something wrong in the way the device was imported. I would make sure you are using the latest Z-Wave plug-in, then try rescanning the device (it must be awake). There are other steps if this doesn't work, but that is the best place to start.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Same here. I have modified the status text and graphics, but your log entries indicate HomeSeer is picking up the text.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    This is what I see:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X