General notifications and alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General notifications and alarms

I just ask generally how people tend to set up their alarms of different kinds.

Say alarm when smoke or water is detected or any other serious problem happens with your house.

HSTouch is from what i see not good enough to notify me on the phone alone. As the "push" notification does not alarm me. As it sounds like any other push notification or alarm.

I have tried pushover. But not sure if i like this. And i need a plugin, which does not work on Zee (maybe on the ned Zee2).

IFTTT is also an option. but since their phone ringing does not work in EU i don't see how this is any better.

So what do people here use for these kinds of alarms?
    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

You can send Pushover notifications from the Zee by a script if you so wish, I am sure there is one on this message board somewhere. You lose the event actions and web pages but can just pass simple messages in by script parameter.

Push notifications of some sort have been the only ones I ever found to be useful, email is too slow and unwieldy, SMS is available and I used that for some time on an old phone (using a SMS gateway service that I again called by script) however that used to cost me money which was not ideal.

Comment

We use Pushover. Like you said it is through a plug-in. We can use different priority levels and sounds based on the type of alert and even have some that will repeat until HomeSeer sees a response from a client. Smoke, CO, Flood and Freezer temperature alerts all look for a response before they stop sending repeatedly. The response is general, not to a specific message, but it is very unlikely that the system would send out two different alerts that are looking for an acknowledgment at the same time. I prefer it to SMS and you get 7500 messages a month for the one time price of the app.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Is there a simple instruction set or info on pushover and what is required to use it?
        And why it is better than text or emails and what extra value does it bring to your homeseer experience?

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
          Is there a simple instruction set or info on pushover and what is required to use it?
          And why it is better than text or emails and what extra value does it bring to your homeseer experience?
          This should get you started on Pushover. All you need is the plug-in and to purchase the app for your device.

I prefer Pushover because it gives me notifications with configurable priority and sounds that are delivered to my phone immediately and on the lock screen. They are stored within the app to refer back to them.

A pushover sent with Emergency priority will keep reminding me on the devices until acknowledged and can also look for an acknowledgement to be pushed back to HomeSeer before it is dismissed.

Email is too slow and doesn't push messages. SMS can push a message, but they cannot be prioritized

My wife uses it on her iPad with one sound for the washing machine and another for the dryer so she can tell by sound which is finished. She can also look at the color on the kitchen HSM200 to see what is running.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post

Comment

I would like to use pushover. But it won't work on a Zee2. Any guide on how to get it working on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by U5tabil View Post
                I would like to use pushover. But it won't work on a Zee2. Any guide on how to get it working on Linux?
                I answered in the post in the main thread, have you tried it and if so what error comes up? Last I tried the plugin does/should work on Linux but I don't know and neither have I seen any guidance whether there is anything Zee-specific that needs to be done.

Comment

I tried it on windows and that works. But .exe don't work under Linux. Cause all you need is to copy the file over right?

Comment

I will try move over the file once I have the Zee2 in my hands

Comment

Originally posted by U5tabil View Post
                      I tried it on windows and that works. But .exe don't work under Linux. Cause all you need is to copy the file over right?
                      HS3 for Linux does use .exe files - the Zee is the only one to use .dll plugins (which was the same file format used in HS2), I don't know if this is just as a means to stop people adding their own plugins or there is some other reason for this. Normal HS3 Linux uses .exe files just the same as the windows HS3 version, the plugin file is the same for both versions.

Comment

If you're using Telenor, they have a simple web API for sending SMS messages.

In our setup, critical notifications are sent both with push and SMS. I'm even thinking about utilizing SCSIP to call me or my wife if the alarm is serious enough.
                        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                        X