About to run 2 homes with 1 homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to run 2 homes with 1 homeseer

So I am about to attempt to run 2 separate homes using hs3 located at just 1 of them and using a znet , speaker app and an ip serial connection to control some audio switching.

Has anyone done this before and any issues I should be looking out for?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Are you doing this over the net over vpn and worry about latency and/or reliability of the connection?

Otherwise, there should be no difference than adding new floors/rooms?
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

A few years ago I was doing something similar albeit with an RFXCOM LAN unit installed at the remote location monitoring security devices.

The 2 sites were connected with LAN to LAN VPN. Reliability was good and I didn't have any latency issues, however I'm not sure how Z-Wave will play over a similar set up. I'm sure I read here somewhere that the timeouts had been increased on the Z-Net to help with remote installations.

In my case, the VPN connection would be automatically restored if it failed for whatever reason and the RFXCOM plug-in would automatically reconnect once the connection was re-established. I expect the Z-Net should do the same.

Paul..

Comment

Are you doing this over the net over vpn and worry about latency and/or reliability of the connection?
        over the net, both houses are on verizon fios in the same general area , so I was thinking the znet would work fine, hs touch for the touch pad int he 2nd house and the speaker app for audio ?
        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
          over the net, both houses are on verizon fios in the same general area , so I was thinking the znet would work fine, hs touch for the touch pad int he 2nd house and the speaker app for audio ?
          Performance-wise, the FIOS shouldn't have any problems... but someone mentioned a problem running VPN (or some other daemons) on FIOS in another thread? Possibly to restrict commercial usage of FIOS? I'm not familiar enough with it... but if they only block certain ports/port ranges, then you can probably just move your vpn to run on higher port #s.
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I am currently doing this with my house and a vacation house. I only have a thermostat and a few HSM200s at the second house so I'm not using it heavily or in a way where I can gauge response latency. I do have the temperature from those devices being graphed by Jon00's charting utility, so I have noticed one episode of outage by flat lines on the graph.

The one real problem I had was that I forgot to set up a static IP for the znet so after a brief power outage it booted up and acquired a different IP. It was out of contact until I got back to that house and could fix it. So don't forget to set up a static IP on the znet when you do your port forwarding.

Comment

Thanks, yes I usually assign statics to all my devices especially since I will need to port forward port 2001 on both ends, do you have static internet IP's form your provider? or do you use ddns?

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
                Thanks, yes I usually assign statics to all my devices especially since I will need to port forward port 2001 on both ends, do you have static internet IP's form your provider? or do you use ddns?
                I'm using the DDNS service from my router manufacturer.

Comment

Great, i am going to install the 2nd z net today at the other house, I will report back on any latency issues, not that I really care about that because the 2nd house it will be more of remote control of lights thermostat and security rather than needing a fast response to say a touch pad operation though.

Comment

Here and there run IPSEC VPN between Comcast cable and Verizon FIOS. Works fine.

I use it more just to check on the goings on but not really too much lately as it works without any or little of my interaction.

I am not automation dependant on it though rather it has become my default now for remote access. Other Homeseer users have done this over the years and it has worked fine for them.

Last VPN use has been via LTE / 3G cellular connectivity and LTE works fine.

You can do an RPi2 to USB stick LTE cellular modem these days for tiny footprint Homeseer remote location install very easy like and not cost prohibitive.

You can also do two DD-WRT'd modems for interconnectivity using DD-WRT VPN firmware base. Here I use PFSense with multiple WAN / LAN interfaces (WAN failover / load balancing stuff). PFSense will run off a flash card these days and it's got more meat that DD-WRT.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

OK that went SMOOTHLY,

moved all my zwave devices ( and there were about 30 of them ) from my zwave homeseer that was located at the 2nd house over to the 2nd znet device that I had installed.

I am just using basic internet , no vpn ( not sure if thats secure or not ) but no lag at all, using my phone in the 2nd house to send an on command to my HS at my 1st house and have that end the signal to the znet device in the 2nd house was instantaneous. even basic scripts that react to a light switch manually being turn ed on or off worked flawlessly.

Comment

Do a test now.

Send out a batch of commands or run a bunch of events from one home to another while concurrently disconnecting your VPN tunnel.

Watch the plugin to see if it comes back or gets trashed. With Homeseer 2 it would get trashed whether the connection was serial or via the network.

If the connection gets trashed then tell me what you do to get it going again; IE: disabling and re-enabling the plugin or having to reboot or restart the Homeseer server.

With Homeseer 2 most of the time it was a restart; back then though the Z-Wave plugin was integrated in to Homeseer 2. Not sure now if Homeseer core has any Z-wave dependancies.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've been having some internet issues with my second house, which is causing major problems with homeseer. Every time the znet at the other house can't respond, my log fills up with a few of the message below every minute. System reliability in my main house goes to hell (probably because the server is so busy trying to connect over and over again). Even if I disable the znet, it won't stop trying to communicate with it. I have to delete it every time I lose connection and then re-create it when it comes back.

controllername: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP mydomain.com port: 2001, Ex=A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond ipaddress:2001

Comment

Ouch Thrag,

I am lucky so far its been running pretty well, both houses are on verizon fios and not too far from each other so I think that may help a lot.

I am seeing many benefits to having just 1 HS system, the tablets can easily show data on both homes and having events run over here if a device changes or updates over there is a big win.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                              I've been having some internet issues with my second house,
                              What kind of internet issues are you having? Power failure?
                              Asking because I'm about to do this between 2 houses in different states(half way across the country) ?

Not sure if I should use two z-nets or two separate hs systems?
                              Tom
                              baby steps...starting again with HS3
                              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Working...
                              X