Integrating Alarm System with Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrating Alarm System with Homeseer

I recently had a break-in which prompted me to quickly get an upgraded alarm system in place. I went with Protection One as that's who the old system was on, and because they said their system was Z-Wave compatible. Well, it is and isn't, though I think most of the "isn't" is just a configuration issue.

However......

I thought I would be able to add devices to both the alarm.com system and to my Homeseer (Zee). I think I fell onto a misunderstanding that I've had about Z-Wave. I installed an overhead garage door controller and tried to add it to both systems. This messed both systems up and I had to remove it and have only been able to add it to one or the other to get it to work. Is this a Z-Wave limitation?

Also, when added to the Homeseer system, I get some sort of security error and I can't control the opener. Does the Zee not support this? I can add it and control it from the alarm.com system, but only locally - I'm going round and round with tech support on why I can't see the garage door opener online or in the Android app, or if they even support it at all (so far the solution is to buy a MyQ controller).

I also tried to add my thermostat to see what controls I can get through the alarm.com controller as the HSTouch interface doesn't support all the thermostat features. Once again, I can't add it to both, so I will need to remove it from the Homeseer and add it to the alarm.com system before I can see what it supports (or if it will recognize it at all - see garage door controller issues above).

Am I going to be able to do anything to integrate the two systems, or will I just have to keep things separated based on what controls I want to have?

David

I control my subsystems thru HS, I think you will bang your head against the wall trying to go parallel or backwards
    I can control my dSC alarm thru HS, and also thru the envisalink app.
    as far as I know, you can only add a node to one system or the other in Z-wave, unless you replicate the controller ( above my head )

what alarm mfg do you have ? Ademco or DSC or....
    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
      Am I going to be able to do anything to integrate the two systems, or will I just have to keep things separated based on what controls I want to have?
      It's not clear to me who the manufacturer of your security system is, but if there is not a HS plug-in for it, you will either have to hope someone writes one, replace your security system with one that is supported by HS, or keep them separate.

If there is a plug-in for it, then I'd recommend letting HS control your devices and monitor the state of the alarm panel. Otherwise, keep the alarm separate and unencumbered with automation functions.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The most common alarm panels are Ademco(honeywell) and DSC.
        Just look on your panel for and system board for naming. I just googled protection one and they seem to use both Ademco and DSC.
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

My alarm panel has configurable relays. I ran an ethernet cable to it and read the status with an arduino.

I can turn on the alarm via phone, the panel itself or via a remote.
          I hardwired to remote to an arduino to simulate presses.
          All is working fine.

Comment

I have a Honeywell/Ademco Vista panel, and am quite pleased with the HS3 plugin and integration. I can use the security PIR to trigger or assist with presence detection in each room, as well as triggering events (like turning off the air conditioning if any of the windows are open).

Comment

The general rule of thumb with Z-Wave devices is that they can only connect to one controller, either HS3 or the alarm system in your case. Somewhere in the forums there's a post from one of the HomeSeer folks warning about this.

The garage door opener that works with the alarm.com panels is not a Z-wave device. It uses Chamberlain/Liftmaster's proprietary MyQ system. You can integrate it with HS3 using King Fetty's MyQ plugin. Not sure if that will work on the Zee.

-Chris

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sorry to drop the question and run, but I got caught in issues with work.

From this information, I think it's safe to conclude that a Z-Wave device can only be connected to one controller. The controller information can then be shared (I've done this with my Wink). I don't see any way to do that with my alarm panel, but there is also a menu in the Z-Wave stuff that I'm locked out of.

The only markings I can find on the back of the controller are a sticker that has the name enfora on a chip and 2GIG. The system interfaces to alarm.com. I find nothing else except part numbers and versions.

The garage door controller I have is a Linear. I'm not happy with what has transpired with this. I was told this would work with the controller, but come to find out they have an agreement with MyQ and those are the only controllers they support. The Linear does pair with my Z-Stick, but when I try to access it I get the security messages. So, either the Z-Stick doesn't support the security features (I get this from my Wink hub, too), or I've done something wrong. The alarm panel does see the Linear opener, and knows it's status, and can control the opener, but I can't figure out how to add it on the web app so that it shows up as a garage door opener in the Android App. To add a garage door opener, the first question is for the serial number off the MyQ device.......sigh. So, I might have to abandon the Linear devices (I have two) and switch to MyQ.

I want to try my thermostat out with the alarm panel to see how well it interfaces. HSTouch does nothing more that the bare minimum of functions, and even then the status is not always correct (when the temperature is set by the thermostat program, it thinks it's in hold mode). The biggest issue is that I use the "energy saving" settings when I'm away for a while, and HSTouch doesn't see those. HS3 does, but then I'm trying to run a web interface on my phone.....doable, but very tiny.

Another nice feature of the alarm.com app is the geo-fencing, which appears to work quite well. But, the thing I'd like to do the most is have my phone notify me if I leave home and the garage door is open, which I currently can't do. I'd also like to be able to control lights from the phone. I don't necessarily need the two controllers to be able to control everything, but I would like some interaction between the two. IDEALLY, I would have triggers send event messages between the two, then let the controller decide what to do with the message.

And lastly....my wife has been all in on getting the alarm system in, and is using the app, and understanding the messages she is getting. I could no way turn HS3 on to her. I'm sort of getting home automation for free, bit by bit, if I can add it through the alarm.com app. For example, she has a light that she leaves on all day so that it's on when she gets home. That should be easy enough to set up through geo-fencing (and she'd never know the difference).

Any other pointers and/or advice??

David

Comment

HSTouch does nothing more that the bare minimum of functions, and even then the status is not always correct (when the temperature is set by the thermostat program, it thinks it's in hold mode). The biggest issue is that I use the "energy saving" settings when I'm away for a while, and HSTouch doesn't see those. HS3 does, but then I'm trying to run a web interface on my phone.....doable, but very tiny.
                  HSTouch can be modified (using the designer) to display and control anything HS can. It can be tedious, but it's really only limited by your determination, imagination, and aesthetic abilities.

As far as the alarm panel is concerned, if you cannot link it to HS with an HS plug-in, then you are probably not going to be satisfied with the way they (don't) work together.

There's been lots of comments on the board - mostly negative - about how badly HS trails other offerings in access from mobile devices. Right now it's a trade off. HS works very well at integrating a diverse array of technologies, but cannot compete with the mobile apps from many of the alternatives that have much more limited integration capability.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

2 GIG is the mfg of your alarm panel.. I haven't seen an interface ( Plug-in) for it, but check the board under security

I also have the Linear Garage Door unit, It works very well directly into HS

My thermostat also directly connects to HS and works very well ( see board for models supported.

My Geofenceing is thru PHLocation and EgiGeoZone and also works very well

The end plan NEEDS to be that you interface everything to HS and then make a simple interface to your wife's phone with Touch

My wife has a message pushed to her every time she leaves the house that she locked the doors, and set the alarm, It also sends her a pic clip of anyone that goes to the front or side gates.. She can see arrival of the Gardener, and any delivery's that are made to us..

It also notifies her that the crock pot tuned on and dinner will be ready when she gets home

hope this helps start small, then go crazy

I got her with the installation of HUE and LED lighting that changes color depending on what we are doing. Lights change throughout the house as the hour changes and detects motion.. ;>)
                    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

For my wife, the important part isn't necessarily simplicity. It's that she can do everything from one app. She sees the importance of the alarm.com app and has attempted to learn to use it. A simplified HSTouch app would mean she would need another app, no matter what it is, or how simple. Example: My wife heavily uses TiVo and can get around the on-screen menus well. She also has Amazon Prime, but it annoyed her to no end that she'd either have to go to the Roku or DVD player to use it, and those interfaces drove her nuts. But, the first question was always "how do I get to the DVD or Roku player". Now TiVo supports Amazon Prime directly and my wife is very happy.

I have HSTouch Designer. My occupation is Software Developer. I've tried to modify the thermostat icon to do what I want, but I've failed miserably. Seems an object oriented system should query the system being emulated and give you the features automatically. I gave up after a while. I also tried to find designs where someone else had figured it out. I haven't found anything. I posted questions to the HSTouch forum and got zero answers.

I think I'm going to be stuck with putting alarm things on the alarm panel, and home automation on the Zee. I'd still like some interaction, though, so if anyone knows how to do that, please chime in. I'm wondering if I can't send an email alert from the alarm panel that the Zee can scrape.

I looked at the MyQ plugin, and that might be a way to go. I don't like that I've invested a couple hundred in devices that I was told would work, but don't, but I also have a vacation house that I can use them at where they might be useful. What I don't like about MyQ is that there are multiple devices and I don't quite know what I need to get to make it all work. I like the device that replaces the wall unit. I think I still need a gateway unless the alarm panel can talk directly to the wall unit. It also looks like I need a separate tilt sensor, though one might be able to use a door sensor or two for that functionality. Can someone with a MyQ share their experience?

I don't see a plugin for a 2GIG system.....

David

Comment

FI have HSTouch Designer. My occupation is Software Developer. I've tried to modify the thermostat icon to do what I want, but I've failed miserably. Seems an object oriented system should query the system being emulated and give you the features automatically. I gave up after a while. I also tried to find designs where someone else had figured it out.
                        David,
                        I think you have to transport yourself back in time at least one decade, maybe two or more, to understand how the HS Touch designer works. You, the designer, have to provide nearly all the knowledge about what elements have what information. It's a hurdle even for someone who has been immersed in HS for years. As someone who is not yet facile with the HS 'ecosystem' you are at a serious disadvantage. Couple that with the expectation that it is a modern 'smart' interface and you are probably doomed.

You can create a system where everything is integrated in one interface, but the effort to do that is daunting, and the effort to maintain it is probably worse. For those of us for whom this is a hobby it's a 'challenge' that provides satisfaction from minor accomplishments. For those who want it done and polished, choose one, then rinse and repeat.

Comment

Well.....I can transport myself back three decades, and do this all in a functional program and it might be easier. Dealing with what appears to be an OO GUI interface gives the mis-impression that everything else is taken care of under the covers, when it really isn't......

I forgot to add......there is one more issue. If I should choose to add the Linear back onto the Z-Stick, will it work? Why am I getting security errors? Does the Zee not support devices with a security interface (probably using incorrect vocabulary)?? I'm open to upgrading my hardware a bit if needed.

The thought has crossed my mind to leave the Linear in place and control it from HS3 and add the MyQ wall panel to talk to the alarm system.......

Comment

With some quick experimentation, I think I have half an interface. The alarm system can send out emails, and HS3 can process them. There is a lag - 10 minutes or more - but with some creativity I can do a few things based on events from the alarm system. Alas, I can't go the other direction.

Comment

Well, I thought I had it working. I am using the "Use Gmail" settings in HS3. Sending works just fine, but receiving does not. I tried unchecking that and entering all the data in by hand, but then sending also breaks. Is the default "Use Gmail" using the correct port to receive data? Checking or unchecking the SSL box gives me the same authentication error.

Comment

Working...
                              X