Help With New System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With New System

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have several questions regarding various equipment and setup for my house within the following categories:

Home Security & Surveillance
    Home Automation
    Audio & Video Configuration

This is probably going to be quite long so let me start at the beginning.

First, the house in question is a 4200 sq. ft. new construction with full basement, 1st & 2nd floors and an attic. During the initial stages of construction, I was basically sold on a Control4 system. As a result, I had all the rooms wired for audio and video. In addition, I had wiring done for internal and external cameras. Originally, I was told that I would be able to configure/program all the functionality of C4. Just recently, I found out that the Home Edition of the C4 software is quite limited. As a control freak and being in technology and enjoying coding, it seems the C4 system is no longer the best option for me. Which brought me, through hours of research, phone calls, youtube videos and forum surfing here to HomeSeer. After speaking to a rep in customer service, they suggested I post in the forum for some extremely needed help from you generous folks.

So, lets start with the home security aspect first. I have 8 hard wired drops externally for cameras. In addition, there are 4 entry doors to the house as well as 50+ windows. I figure I would need between 3-6 co2/fire detectors as well as a communication device for the monitoring station I've chosen. Now to the questions:
    1. Do most/all security cameras that get hardwired work with the DSC systems? The camera I was looking at was a LIA90ESE Surveillance Camera. However, I am open to suggestions.
    2. Is there an interface between the cameras and the security system?
    3. For the actual system I was looking at the DSC PC1864 PowerSeries 8-64. Though I'm not really sure if that will satisfy my needs without expansion so if anyone can chime in on that I would appreciate it.
    4. For the window sensors, I assume they are glass break/vibration detectors. I have several windows that are stacked above on another and side by side. Will one detector cover multiple windows?
    5. Other then regular keypads to arm/disarm the alarm, I wanted to create an app for a smart phone. Is that possible with the HS3 software?
    6. I was looking at the DSC PTK5507 PowerSeries TouchScreen Security Interface but can that be customized to show say a live feed of a door camera? Can it be customized to do the lighting and home automation stuff?
    Is there any sort of hard wired control panel like the C4-WALL7-WH controll screen?

Now, moving right along to the audio/video solutions. I have 2 rooms that will have surround sound, receiver, DVD, possibly game consoles, TV's, etc. In addition, the way I had set this up wiring wise for C4 was that there would be 2 control stations. One in the basement to cover the 1st floor audio/video zones as well as future finished basement plans and exterior zones. Not including the basement there are 6 zones (2 outside, the 2 rooms with 5.1 and 2 other rooms for audio). The upstairs zones were wired to a master bedroom walk-in closet which would include 5 zones for audio/video. This is also the location I had the wire run from the basement for the cellular communication device for the alarm system. While on the phone with the HS3 rep, he had mentioned looking into Russound's solutions to audio/video as well as the IR controllers from global cache.
    1. Are Russound and Global Cache the correct places to look for solving my audio/video requirements (Interfacing with HS3's touch screens/applets for programming purposes, allowing multiple source playback, etc.)?
    2. I assume with this many zones I will need a couple Pro Multi-Channel Amplifiers as well as other equipment or will 2 MCA-88X cover my needs?
    3. For the TV's, at least in the two rooms with surround sound, I would need the IR controller correct? Would it be better to just use IR Controllers on all the TV's and locate the cable boxes in one of the 2 central locations mentioned above?

I'm sure I've missed stuff in here in which case feel free to point out ideas, solutions, etc. If any of you can help me out I'd appreciate it. I'm aware that this is a big project and I'd like to get it right the first time rather then getting the wrong equipment and having to swap out stuff after the fact. I also know this was a extremely large post so thank you again for taking the time to read thru my nightmare.

Welcome to the Homeseer board.

You have quite a bit to digest here, and I'd recommend you break it down into smaller chunks.

The first thing that I would do is break down the problem functionally in two dimensions. One dimension could be geographically (by flloor/room inside/outside), or by function (HVAC / security / surveillance / lighting), or some other way that makes the most sense to you.

The second dimension should involve actual hardware capabilities, including Homeseer, your security system, your cameras, you lighting technology, etc. That will require some understanding of the available options and will be an iterative process as you learn more about alternatives and make choices.

It is likely that the overall architecture of a Homeseer system will be significantly different in many respects from one based on Control4. Unless there is someone on the board who has studied both, you will likely be on your own to discern what those differences are.

Originally posted by Xollak View Post
    1. Do most/all security cameras that get hardwired work with the DSC systems?
    I'm not completely clear on what you are asking here, but most of the applications I am aware of treat the cameras as an adjunct to the security system, coupled through HS rather than a component of the security system per se.
    2. Is there an interface between the cameras and the security system?
    In my setup that interface is HS.
    3. For the actual system I was looking at the DSC PC1864 PowerSeries 8-64. Though I'm not really sure if that will satisfy my needs without expansion so if anyone can chime in on that I would appreciate it.
    This would be a great question to pose on the DSC forum.
    4. For the window sensors, I assume they are glass break/vibration detectors. I have several windows that are stacked above on another and side by side. Will one detector cover multiple windows?
    Another questions to ask on the forum for the security system. I think most folks use magnetic sensors to detect open/closed since it's likely a broken window will be used to operate the latch, then open the window rather than risk crawling through the broken glass shards.
    5. Other then regular keypads to arm/disarm the alarm, I wanted to create an app for a smart phone. Is that possible with the HS3 software?
    yes
    6. I was looking at the DSC PTK5507 PowerSeries TouchScreen Security Interface but can that be customized to show say a live feed of a door camera? Can it be customized to do the lighting and home automation stuff?
    Is there any sort of hard wired control panel like the C4-WALL7-WH controll screen?
    You would do will to familiarize yourself with HS Touch. Spend some time reading the posts in that forum and ask more questions. I think you will find HS Touch capability addresses some of these questions.

1. Are Russound and Global Cache the correct places to look for solving my audio/video requirements (Interfacing with HS3's touch screens/applets for programming purposes, allowing multiple source playback, etc.)?
    Again, I recommend you ask these questions on the Russound and GC forums.
    2. I assume with this many zones I will need a couple Pro Multi-Channel Amplifiers as well as other equipment or will 2 MCA-88X cover my needs?
    A question for the Russound forum.
    3. For the TV's, at least in the two rooms with surround sound, I would need the IR controller correct? Would it be better to just use IR Controllers on all the TV's and locate the cable boxes in one of the 2 central locations mentioned above?
    Some TVs offer IP control and/or serial control. The right answer will depend in part on your preference and the capabilities of your hardware. Again, you are most likely to get good answers if you ask these questions in the appropriate forum.

Unlike Control4, Homeseer will require you to provide significant knowledge and effort in understanding, selecting, implementing, and maintaining your system. It can be a lot of fun, but it will take time to become proficient in all the component technologies, not to mention installing, troubleshooting, and maintaining them and the unique and complex system that your HA system will become. Start small and work your way through all the capabilities you want as your time and interest allow.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

In addition to Mike's comments above relating to multimedia have look too at the AV forum here:

Audio and Video Home Entertainment resource and community forum
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
      X