Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to integrate these into my HS system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to integrate these into my HS system?

We inherited two legacy X-10 devices when we purchased our house last year. One controls a light in the pool and the other controls the water feature of the pool. Currently, we have a standalone X-10 wireline controller that controls the devices. I'd like to integrate them into my HS system, but have no idea what to buy. (all my other stuff is z-wave -- I know next to nothing about X-10)

I've attached two pictures of the existing controller -- based on that, can anyone explain what I need to do to replicate this functionality in my HomeTroller S6 Pro controller? I have no X-10 equipment currently, so presumably I'll need a controller of some kind.

I don't care about advanced functionality or wireless control -- I just want on/off functionality for both devices, as well as being able to see what state each one is currently in.

Thanks!

You need a controller like the Act TI103 or a X10 CM11a. The latter should work fine in your setup. X-10 control in HS is very simple, but since you already have Z-wave, I would think you would just want to replace the devices.

On a side note, most old X-10 devices do not report state. Another reason to replace the devices.

Good luck,
    Barry

Comment

Yup, same opinion as above.

One thing that x10 does 'better' than z-wave might be range, especially in concrete house, since x10 runs on the powerline whereas zwave is wireless. So you might want to check zwave performance in that area with modules to replace and may need to place a node or two along the way to boost the coverage area.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

You could also look at Insteon as the Insteon system will also control (to an extant) X10 devices.
        Insteon is both powerline and wireless.

Comment

The best reason to stay with X10 is if you have experience with X10 devices and you are comfortable solving the unique problems X10 presents. Since you are familiar with Z-wave and have other Z-wave devices, converting these two controls to Z-wave seems, by far, the best solution.

Is there some other reason you want to continue to use the X10 modules?
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Is there some other reason you want to continue to use the X10 modules?
            Mostly because they "just work" and I was assuming it would be cheaper to continue to make them work as X-10 devices vs. replacing them wholesale.

Really what I'm after is the ability to control both these devices from our iOS devices. Currently, we need to use the hard-wired X-10 remote, which isn't that big of a deal, but if I could easily (and reasonably cheaply) integrate them into my HS system, then it would be a nice to have.
            Last edited by klieber; July 20, 2015, 09:31 AM. Reason: clarified

Comment

Originally posted by klieber View Post
              Mostly because they "just work" and I was assuming it would be cheaper to continue to make them work as X-10 devices vs. replacing them wholesale.

Really what I'm after is the ability to control both these devices from our iOS devices. Currently, we need to use the hard-wired X-10 remote, which isn't that big of a deal, but if I could easily (and reasonably cheaply) integrate them into my HS system, then it would be a nice to have.
              This is easy as all you need to do is pick up and X10 interface and load the associated plugin. That's all there is to it. The biggest issue is which x10 interface to go with and finding one.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                This is easy as all you need to do is pick up and X10 interface and load the associated plugin. That's all there is to it. The biggest issue is which x10 interface to go with and finding one.
                There are CM11a controllers on e-bay for $30. That is what I would do. Cheap experiment.

Barry

Comment

Yup here primary light switch technology is UPB.

That said use X10 today and it is plugged in to the Homeseer 3 boxes (well and Z-Wave +).

As stated above you can just plug in an X10 CM11A to your Homeseer 3 box and be done with it leaving it be or swap the stuff over for Z-Wave.

You can leave your stuff alone and use Homeseer 3 just to monitor the X10 signals being transmitted from your other X10 controller.

Here still have 30 year old plus X10 stuff which works fine today.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
                    There are CM11a controllers on e-bay for $30.
                    Yep, that's exactly the one I purchased yesterday. $29.99 + free shipping.

Comment

Working...
                    X