No announcement yet.

HS 3 and Windows 10...Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had already setup as in method1; the only difference I can observe is that I don't have a user called "administrator" as you do, but the user I log-in as is "Bob" who is a member of administrators and is Auto logged in. I take it that you do not have HS3 running yet?
    Bob

Comment

I am guessing that your login is Bob. That said Bob should have administrative rights.

I use Pete here and Pete here has administrative rights.

I used HSTouch as an example.

Homeseer 3 auto running should be no different than HSTouch auto running.

Configure your user Bob to auto login as mentioned above.

Once this is configured the two methodologies will autostart the desktop then Homeseer 3.

The scheduler is faster than the directory autostart such that I would personally use the scheduler.

I can install Homeseer 3 on same computer if you want and it will work the same as autostarting HSTouch. It is just a program autostarting. It doesn't matter what the program is.

The PipoX7 that I am testing here is destined to be an HSTouch client / speaker client only. I have it connected to a large multitouch monitor today.

It is also booting Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. It works but I would only use it for a dedicated Kodi box and not really to do much else with it.

The 2 Gb of RAM is too stifling for me.

I was going to play a bit with the Kinect plugged in to it running Spud's plugin. I have microsoft sapi running on it with some speech fonts. Not sure what it'll do with the Kinect stuff running on it yet.

@Bob,

PM me if you want and we can set it this afternoon / evening. Takes a couple of minutes.
      Last edited by Pete; September 26, 2015, 05:56 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS3 start up issue with Windows 10

I have the same problem here, whether I add the program shortcut to the startup folder or I use the task scheduler, as suggested by Pete: HS3 will not start with start up of the computer.

Elliott
        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
        "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Here the PC originally came with Windows 8.1 and I updated it to Windows 10 a bit ago.

@Elliot,

Here using the PiPoX7 Atom Quad core Baytrail PC.

The PiPoX7 does run Windows 10 32 bit versus 64 bit.

I do not think though that should be an issue.

I am guessing that you have configured the computer to auto login user.

Without this I couldn't use either method.

Does the computer boot fine to the desktop without a user login prompt?

Here for my XP embedded touchscreens utilize R2 Startup delayer. The program is free and might work with Windows 10. It works with Windows up to 8.1.

R2 Start up delayer can be found here.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@Pete:

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the system is set up not to require a password to reboot. One thing: when I run HS3 manually to start it, Windows security asks if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I click "yes," and the program runs fine. Do you think the security setting is blocking the automatic start up?

In any case, I will give your new suggestion a try.

Elliott
            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

I had an issue after upgrading 6 PCs to W10 (not the Hometroller). There's a piece of software that I wrote that would not startup either in the startup directory or the task scheduler, while other programs would.

I finally got it to startup with the task scheduler in the following manner:

Create basic task, give it a name,
              Trigger: When I Log on (not When the computer starts)
              Action: Start a program, browse to program ('arguments' & 'Start in' blank)
              Check 'Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish, click Finish'
              The properties dialog will pop-up...
              General tab: Check 'Run with highest privileges'
              ....................change 'Configure for' to Windows 10' (not sure if this is necessary)
              Triggers tab: no change
              Actions tab: no change
              Conditions tab: uncheck the 2 checked boxes under power
              Settings tab: check 'Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed'
              .....................check 'If the task fails, restart every:' (I set it for 5 mins)
              ..................uncheck 'Stop the task if it runs longer than:'
              ..................uncheck 'If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop'
              History tab: no change

I had the same problem on 6 PCs and this fixed it on all 6.

Hope it helps.

- Robert

Comment

Maybe.

I do not see the Windows security question with manually running HSTouch or Speaker dot exe.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Maybe.

I do not see the Windows security question with manually running HSTouch or Speaker dot exe.
                  This comes up every time. I cannot figure out yet how to make an exception for the HS3 program. The options for the security settings when this message comes up include all programs or no programs. A separate area in the settings under security, Windows Defender, has "allow an exclusion," but it is greyed out on my 2 PC's running Win 10. So, it is non-functional.

The good news is Startup Delay program works to launch HS3!

Thanks very much.

Elliott

Comment

Good news Elliott!!

Here I have spent more time tinkering with Windows 10 than actually using it if that makes sense. One of the first things I shut off was the service running on port 80 way back when I first started to play.

Basic tinkering was initially all of the Homeseer touch and speaker and SAPI fonts stuff. Then added Jon's remote PC stuff. Tested KODI to work fine streaming live TV stuff.

Then started to tinker with all of that EFI GPT boot stuff relating to dual booting the box.

Didn't initially pay attention (or record / document stuff) to what I was doing until the autostart stuff was brought up as I had just done it and so decided to document it above and did the steps in order and it worked for me.

Relating to using the R2 autostart program; thinking it does the leg work for you.

Here with XPe I am booting touchscreens up without battery backed up CMOS / Clocks such that I run a manual script on bootup that initially validates the network, pauses a bit, stops the time service and re-enables the time service syncing the clock to my NTP server. On a cold boot the time / year go way out of kilter...IE: nonsensical year date of 163456 which causes issues.

I also utilize an older Microsoft program (which still works) called BG Info which puts an over lay stamp on the screen basics like boot time, network IP and DNS name which helps with a bunch of identical touchscreens (along with a little label on the back of them).

The order of what I load is:
                    1 - network stuff
                    2 - VNC (old)
                    3 - time sync
                    4 - BG Info
                    5 - Homeseer touch
                    6 - speaker dot exe
                    7 - script to dim screen to 20 % or screen saver mode (favorite screen saver is the Fligio Clock, Windows Picture screen saver, Video shorts screen saver or a mosaic picture screen saver)
                    8 - Jon's remote PC application

Once running then Jon's remote PC application takes over the management of the box via the mothership (Homeseer).

Note that running Homeseer 3 you do not really need to look at the consoles or screen unless you are debugging stuff where you can look at both the console and the logging. Other than than you can stick the box anywhere on the network with no monitor and manage Homeseer 3 via a remote web GUI on any PC. I do that today with the Homeseer 3 running on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I can also manage the Wintel server VB via RDP on the box today.
                    Last edited by Pete; September 27, 2015, 10:59 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X